Print Thread
#240641 04/04/06 01:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was diagnosed with mild asthma when I was a child. In the past, I cannot recall ever experiencing exercise-induced asthma. At 17, I�m now exiting my lazy period of 4 years and am starting to �work out.' I�ve noticed a very slight restrictied feeling within my chest and a little mucus build up. I don�t know� it could be asthma�or, most likely, it is because I�m soo out of shape.
BUT if it IS asthma� can I condition the lungs to deal with the symptoms? Does that make sense? If I work out enough- everyday, will the asthma symptoms go away? � can that be possible?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#240642 04/04/06 01:29 AM
Gecko
Gecko
I have exercise induced asthma, and I work out regularly. It doesn't go away. I have an inhaler that I use before I work out, which prevents me from getting an attack.

Check with your doctor to see if it is indeed asthma, or if it's just, as you said, that you're out of shape.

#240643 04/09/06 09:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi ive just done a days workout through my work,towards the end if the 4 hrs i developed a persistant cough and an itch feeling in my throat,i was finding it hard to breath and was bringing up mucus.So i was asked to rest by the trainer who saw i was stuggling.
This happend about an hour ago and my itch feeling in my throat hasnt gone although my cough is settling a bit.
Could this be Exercise induced asthma.
The cough ive noticed ive had on and off for about a month.

#240644 04/09/06 09:49 AM
Gecko
Gecko
It sounds like it could be, but of course, only your doctor can tell you that. My symptoms were different - I just noticed a wheezing and pain in my chest, as well as trouble breathing. No mucus. But I do cough when I have trouble getting air.

I really think you should see a doctor. They can at least prescribe an inhaler if you have it, and tell you how to still be active and deal with it.

Good luck!

#240645 04/09/06 11:34 AM
Shark
Shark
Many people find relief from asthma and allergies by taking pantothenic acid, a B-vitamin. You can find it in your health food store. Take one before exercising and see if it doesn't help.

Oh, and dairy products also increase mucus, so you might want to try the soy variety for cheese, milk or whatever.
Some people also create mucus when they eat wheat in its many varieties (bread, pasta, cake, pie, etc.). Look into spelt or some other grain or cut out grains altogether.

I know of no drug or food interactions with pantothenic acid, but just in case, let your health care practitioner know you're using it and why.

Best,

Carolyn

Carolyn, Editor
my web site:
www.carolynchambersclark.com
#240646 04/09/06 11:57 AM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I was in my late teens, early twenties when I was diagnosed as having "exhertive asthma". I was in fairly good shape although I never did a regular exercise routine. I went to college full time and worked as a cashier at a grocery store, on the fast check out lane. That was when I would have problems. When I would start to work very fast and begin to get warm, then I would start to cough. I could hold my breath for a few seconds until I could take their money, say thank you, then cough some more. It was so embarrassing and I was never sure if I had something contagious. That was when I found out I had "exhertive asthma" and the doctor gave me an inhaler to use that really calmed down the episodes! (and let me know I was not contagious!)

Good luck to you!

Trish

#240647 06/02/06 08:04 PM
E
Koala
Koala
E
In highschool I had a friend with moderate asthma - she decided at one stage she wanted to start running to get fit and lose a bit of weight. At first she struggled a bit, but she took it slowly. After a month or so she actually said her asthma symptoms had improved dramatically because of her running. She was no longer getting out of breath and having to use her inhaler just walking up the stairs.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
#240648 06/03/06 01:15 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I'm coming back into this thread rather late, and I apologize. Some family issues have had me away.

You say your cough has been present for about a month, this is telling me that it is more than just exercise induced asthma. Although if your breathing is getting worse with exercise it can definitely be exacerbated by it.

The first thing you should do is make sure nothing in your diet or environment has changed in the past month. Try to see if you might be having an allergic reaction to something in other words. Also, have a checkup at your physicians to make sure there is nothing like pneumonia or bronchitis going on in your lungs. You may have heard the term "walking pneumonia"- this is where a person develops fluid on the lungs, but does not have the raging infection to cause the fever and other effects that sink them down so fast. So they walk around, feeling yucky and coughing, but still getting through the day. But it is still dangerous because it can damage the lungs.

Also, asthma does tend to flare up in the spring, when things are blooming - which is when I noticed your posts (assuming both "anonymous" are from the same person).

Exercise induced asthma generally comes because a person is breathing more rapidly, the airways start spasming, and the air is died out that is coming in - because generally when a person is gasping for breath during a workout, they breathe through their mouth. Concentrate on trying to breathe out through your mouth but in through your nose. I know it doesn't feel like you are getting as much air that way; but the air will be moister and cleaner for having been filtered through the nasal passages, and is easier to breathe. Also it helps you concentrate on slowing down your breaths which is a good thing for all asthmatics. Slow even breaths can (sometimes) help with airway spasms, if they haven't gotten too severe.

Hope this helps some.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor

Moderated by  Sherry-Asthma 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.