#237100 03/15/06 01:38 AM
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
I wrote an article about self-stimulatory behavior:

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art41323.asp

Please share what type of STIMS your child has had over the years? What about your quirks that you do, like twirl hair or tap a pencil?

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#237101 03/19/06 06:19 PM
H
H
I have the habit of biting one of my knuckles. I started this in Junior High and have a terrible callous because of it. Soon after we found out my toddler was autistic I attended an information seminar for the "new parents" just learning about their child's diagnoises. To my surprise several parents said their autistic child bit their fingers. Until that day I'd never heard of anyone biting their fingers, (just finger nails).

#237102 03/19/06 06:33 PM
H
H
My just barely three year old son would constantly say "the rhino will bite you" in any given situation, or, start listing all the zoo animals. He actually is starting to go most of the day without saying anything about a rhino. We put pictures of the rhino at our zoo on the wall and innundated him with rhino toys. And now he rarely blurts out "rhino", and, doesn't seem desperate if he can't find a rhino toy. At first I was a little worried that we were encouraging and ingraining the obsession, but, it seemed to work the other way around. His first few months of preschool he had to have a toy rhino close to him at all times in the classroom, but, then we got some baby rabbits for him to cuddle at home and now he will be happy with a variety of animal toys at school. But animals are still the light of his life. Seeing a book of animals is the best way to calm him when he is beginning to go in melt-down mode.

#237103 03/19/06 06:34 PM
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
HI there and welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your experiences with your family. I have read a few posts the last few days on some of my groups about kids biting fingers.

One parent said they started putting gloves on the kid and now he wears them at school, although not sure what type of gloves.

I wear white cotton gloves at night to bed to stop the scratching of my eczema while I sleep and use them when doing work in the front lawn since the grass aggravates my skin and I have to wear long sleeves and long pants when watering the lawn, etc.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
#237104 03/23/06 06:15 PM
K
K
My son Brett started stimming at the age of 2{yes after his MMR shot!} Although Brett was delayed globaly due to brain abnormalities. This is when we first saw tendencies. He would look at objects with intensity-turning it. Now he will spin anything he can get his hands on. With our son we found that if we limited his ability to stim he would be "with us". He has become an excellent twirler! He also used to flap his arms. He now will flap his hands in front of his eyes. He used to make a GHHHH sound. Now he will sometimes put his fingers in his ears and humm. He loves to play on the computer and will go back and forth on screens. Although this sometimes drives me nuts he does learn from the repetition. I have heard some people say to stop the stim others say let him do it. My problem is that Brett didn't understand when it was appropiate vs not so it was easier to limit it. I've spoken with an autisic adult and she says she holds it together all day and stims when she gets home but I think she was capable of doing this where so of our kids aren't.

#237105 03/25/06 02:43 AM
J
J
Hi, I have a 4 1/2 y/o boy and he stims only every so often. Often with the fluttering of fingers by his face, and looking at things out of the corner of his eyes, even while walking, has bruises to prove it, heehee! I have never tried to stop his stimming, because it doesn't seem to interfere with his routine at home but his support worker at preschool immediatly stops him when he stims. Granted he seems to do it more when he is there. If he starts to get lost in himself with the stimming, I will redirect his attention but for the most part he only does it 4-5 times a day and then only for a short time. Should I stop him or is stimming alright, I have heard both sides of the arguement, and still don't know which to go with!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.