logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#235576 03/06/06 01:03 PM
J
OP Offline
J
I'm just learning to spin (teaching myself, basically, although I've read my "Hands on Spinning" by Lee Raven so often it's dogeared!) and have a question about how you know you have too much twist. I'm working with alpaca, making a fairly fine strand of yarn using a worsted technique. My yarn seems to be pretty uniform (no fat lumps or skinny thinny spots). However, I notice that if I release the tension at all, the twist springs back, making little twisties.:o Am I putting too much twist in the yarn? According to Raven's book, thinner yarns need more twist than bulky yarns, so I've been trying to make sure that there's enough twist to hold it together. The yarn seems fine when I tug it to test it, but I'm wondering whether the skein will end up with twisties after the twist is set, and if so, what I can do to smooth them out. Thanks!!

Judith Korff
LadySong Farm Alpacas, Fleece & Flowers
Steamburg, NY 14783
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#235577 03/07/06 07:25 AM
Amoeba
Amoeba
Try washing a small skein and hanging it to dry without any weight other than the water it has it in. If the skein dries without twisting back up, then you are fine. It's hard to say through a forum without being able to see the yarn, so I'd definately test some. Alpaca is quite different from wool and lacks the type of crimp that wool has to hold it together, so more twist is needed for your finer yarn especially. That said, you don't want too much twist or the yarn starts to feel harsh. Very over twisted yarn, of any type, becomes twine to the hands.

Twin Willows Farm
Registered Border Leicester Sheep
Ossineke, Michigan
#235578 03/12/06 03:23 PM
M
M
I just spun some alpaca week or so at a shop owned by ladies who raise alpacas. Lovely stuff, and I plan to acquire some as soon as I decrease my stash in the basement. They told me that when working with alpaca, you should steam the singles before plying. This works well if you have a boilable bobbin, like Majacraft has. I don't know how it could be done otherwise, I would think it wouldn't be good to skein the singles and then steam them and try to put them back on a bobbin.

#235579 03/19/06 06:46 PM
Amoeba
Amoeba
Another way to steam before plying is to use a niddy-noddy out of PVC pipe. Wind the singles onto that and steam away. If you have an umbrella swift, it's easy to ply off of that or wind the singles into balls for plying.

Twin Willows Farm
Registered Border Leicester Sheep
Ossineke, Michigan
#235580 03/24/06 11:32 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I tried Pegg's suggestion of steaming a small skein, and it seemed to work out OK. Perhaps I was over-reacting, since I wasn't sure how much twist is too much. Anyway, I'm still practicing!

Judith Korff
LadySong Farm Alpacas, Fleece & Flowers
Steamburg, NY 14783
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
#235581 09/06/06 03:02 PM
A
A
How did the alpaca turn out Judith. I'm just now starting to spin some wonderful baby alpaca. I've noticed that I'm putting more twist in, but had never heard of steaming it before plying. BTW, I love the idea of a niddy-noddy made from PVC. Gonna have to try that!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.