logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Do you tell your children about Santa Claus? Why or why not? Can this be harmful to our kids?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Yes, I also tell them about the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy, too.

However, when Michael started getting older and started asking questions, I took him out for ice cream one day and we chatted about believing in fun things that aren't necessarily true, but it's fun to pretend. (My parents always told me, "Well, if you don't believe in Santa Claus, then I guess he won't bring you anything." - Heck, I still believe in him!) LOL

I also explained to Michael that since his siblings (both here and in Mississippi) were so much younger, it might spoil the fun for them if he started talking about Santa not being real.

I'm sure I'll have the same talk with Jordan soon. I'm not trying to be deceitful, I see it as a fun and magical part of the holiday season. But then in our house; Santa comes in second as far as Christmas goes. It is our first priority to celebrate Jesus' birth. So , maybe my children haven't been as caught up in at as some.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
T
T
We are Christian parents and this is our take on the entire SANTA THEORY.
Christmas is the birthday of Jesus Christ and should be looked at that way. Gifts...OK the gift idea is great as it encourages a GIVING spirit. Our children receive 3 gifts a piece as it related to Christ receiving 3 gifts on his birthday. The children tell us the 3 items they want and we purchase them. The gifts are always simple...For example the 6 year old wants 1)Game Boy advance, 2)UNO card shuffler, 3)Candy Land. We lead a simple life and encourage our children to GIVE GIVE GIVE as we do in our everyday life. On Christmas Morning I go to the local church and deliver meals to the sick and shut in...There is NO SANTA in our home, we tell our children that some people allow SANTA to come into their homes and that is fine. We tell them the TRUTH and not some FAIRY TALE same for Easter, Tooth Fairy etc. I was never told about SANTA and I think I turned out just FINE!!At least I think I did!!!

Travise Phillips Smith
Sr.Mortgage Consultant
www.ThisMortgageisForyou.com
Travise@ThisMortgageIsForyou.com
I believe that education is the key to your real home.
Mortgages available 42 states.
Gecko
Gecko
For the people who think that telling kids about Santa Claus is scarring somehow, I think they're wrong. I was told about Santa. Most everyone I know was told about Santa. Finding out that he wasn't real was not any sort of major shock, and I continued to play along for many years (actually... I think I'm still playing along a little bit). I don't think I somehow lost a bunch of trust in my parents, I think I understood that they were trying to make the holiday fun. Kids are smarter than we give them credit for.

Now, as far as not telling kids about Santa Claus for religious reasons, that's perfectly logical and makes a lot of sense. Our family is multifaith, so Santa is just another dude in a whole string of dudes that any given one of us may or may not believe in, so that's not an issue for us. But I love the idea of a Christian family using the holiday to teach their kids about charitable giving and putting their own special twist on it.

Amoeba
Amoeba
I'm a believer in perpetuating the myths of childhood. I base my opinion on the fact that older children who know the truth will continue to encourage younger children to believe (exceptions, of course - usually deliberate meanness).

Small children live in a world that alternates between reality and make-believe. They don't mind having the older people join in on the make-believe. It's fun!

I certainly can remember the transitional time in my life when I still believed even when I knew the odds were against the reality of Santa Claus. I knew it was my Grandpa drumming his fingers under the table and not reindeer hooves on the roof. But I hustled off to bed to dream of jolly old elves, anyway.

Actually, I've written an article on protecting the innocence of childhood. Perhaps you would enjoy reading it.

http://www.whatsfordinner.net/article-sweeten-childhood.html

Jean

Jean Fisher
http://www.whatsfordinner.net
Make dinner time, family time.

Moderated by  Amy - Preschool Education 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.