Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I posted this originally over in another spot, but I thought it would be neat to get everyone's thoughts on what has been GOOD about having a child with an ASD. Because I do believe we were given these children for a reason. (I think it is Anisjf that points this out, often.)

Sometimes its so easy to get caught up in the difficulties and the problems, its easy to overlook the wonderful stuff, too.

One of the most positive things about having Michael is that he never sees things the way other people do. His teachers have even commented on that. I even had one teacher tell me she felt inadequate when it came to teaching Michael because he was such a deep thinker.

It's not that he's a deep thinker it's that he "thinks around corners" (I don't remember where i heard that expression). Where all the rest of us tend to think in 2 dimensions, he sees in 3. And its so amazing to listen to him talk about things because you just go WOW! Especially when he gets in church. He often leaves our pastor shaking his head and grinning; and going searching for a book!

So what are some of y'alls?

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
H
H
very quickly, I can say having a kid w/ special needs tends to bring out the best in you....& you really know who your friends are, cuz superficial people won't hang around....

A
A
I completely agree that a child with special needs brings out the best in you. Since my son's birth, I have become a stronger person than I could have ever been. His needs strengthen me, make me outspoken, tolerant, aware, and motivate me to act beyond my wildest dreams. I would have been a shade of who I am if I didn't have this boy in my life. I'd walk through fire for him, and to defend him. The comment about friends is very true...those who stick around do so because they love my son independently of me. I am blessed in many ways.

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
I have three children. All girls. The one in the middle has been diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) since she was 3. I noticed very early that there was something "special" about her.

As I devoured every article, book, and television special I could on children with Autism Spectrum Disorders - I began to mourn what I thought my daughter's life would be. Especially as I watched her other two siblings thrive in other areas.

But while my daughter may have trouble playing Barbies with another child - she has the musical rhythm of a great musician, an insatiable appetite for books and art, and the recall of a tape recorder! It's really amazing. And will benefit her in her future studies - no doubt!

What's good about my special daughter is that she always reminds that there is nothing to mourn - she's moving through life to the beat of her own drummer - and if it's good enough for her, then it's good enough for me:)

Lisa Angelettie MSW
BellaOnline Depression Editor
Are You Depressed?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.