logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
The readers are right! We need more info catered to parents who homeschool high schoolers!

I'm tossing around some ideas and have come up with:
-what about the prom, socializing for older homeschooled students
-creating and using a transcript

what else would our readers like to see?

Thanks!
Meg

Meg
The World is Our Classroom!
Homeschooling

Exotic Pets
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
Shark
How about self taught materials?

I have a teen and I found it's good for her to practice some responsibility for her own education. It's hard to find godo materials that she can use on her own that includes instruction.

Mythical Fact of Homeschooling: Children will become clones of their parents.

Rogue Reality: Why does my son have green hair?
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
That's a great idea! The high school years are still a bit of a blur to me as my kids aren't quite there yet. One of my goals through the middle school years is to get to the point where my kids can teach themselves for the most part!

meg

Meg
The World is Our Classroom!
Homeschooling

Exotic Pets
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Perhaps guides to creating your own curriculum. What should be covered if the teen is going to college?

Wine Host, Italian Food, Library Sciences Host
Shark
Shark
Another idea...information on getting into college. Since I am not quite there yet, I only have an idea of what to do or expect.

Mythical Fact of Homeschooling: Children will become clones of their parents.

Rogue Reality: Why does my son have green hair?
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Is it possible for homeschooling teens to do dual enrollment courses? When my oldest son was a junior & senior in high school he took courses through the local community college. He was able to earn high school and college credit for the courses.

Koala
Koala
Is it possible for homeschooling teens to do dual enrollment courses? In general, yes. Though I've heard rumbles that some states still have legislation on the books that makes it difficult for a homeschooled student to enter college. Texas passed specific legislation that states colleges can't treat homeschooled students any differently from other students when it comes to admissions, but there are still laws regarding minimum age for enrollment that many colleges will use to try and keep homeschooled students out of dual-enrollment programs.

As an independent education consultant, I advise homeschooling families to prepare themselves for argument. Document the courses/levels the student has already completed and prepare a statement indicating how the student will benefit from dual-enrollment and exactly what sort of credit will be provided to the student. Then pick up the phone and contact the admissions counselor at your local public community college or university and/or private college (sometimes private schools are easier to deal with) and talk with them a bout your student's specific situation.

Regarding courses/content/curriculum for high-school students, I've seen TONS of curriculum available on the web for grades 8 through 12. In some instances, there are even online courses made available through a local university. For instance, Texas Tech University actually hosts an accredited online program (http://www.depts.ttu.edu/oes/) through its Outreach and Extended Studies Department and so does the University of Texas at Austin (http://www.utexas.edu/cee/dec/uths/index.shtml).

If you would like more information on planning for your child's college admissions, contact an admissions counselor at a university your child is interested in, contact an independent education consultant in your area, or visit my business site http://www.hillcountryecs.com.

Shark
Shark
Maybe some of the high school material evaluated and some ideas for advanced learning. I'm withdrawing my daughter this week from high school. She's in advanced classes at a magnet high school so any packaged curriculum is probably not going to be appropriate.

I haven't had a lot of time to prepare because it's a sudden/recent decision due to escalated violence at her school. I'm struggling to figure out what materials to teach from since I do know (at least) what she's studying from this year.

I must say that your ebook (Begin Homeschooling with Confidence) and the software (Homeschool Tracker Plus) you reviewed have made me feel more comfortable about attempting it! (Thanks!!!)

Denise Lacazette
Exotic Pets Editor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
How sad for your daughter that her high school has turned into such a violent place.

My husband and I were tossing around the idea for next year for our son. His school is great, but his dyscalculia presents some problems. I saw this Language Arts book and the British Literature companion book and was impressed.

Science possess a problem. I dislike many of the hyper-conservative biology curricula.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I"ve learned the hard way about college. My oldest is a Sr. and we did not know about dead lines. I figured out I had to register, etc. before summer, but found out a few days after that March 2 was deadline for our college's deadlines for some scholarships. I forgot about having transcript from High school sent, etc. There is so much that first time parents have no clue unless they go to their college of choice a year early to learn about deadlines for financial aid.

My nephew and niece were homeschooled. My niece spent her Senior year same time she did college classes. Now she is just now 20 and graduating early from Respiratory Therapy. Now my Nephew is doing the same by taking his Last year of High school classes and going to college. This is in Florida.

Ebook: Getting Started in Genealogy

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.