logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
I think I get the general idea, but can someone give me a quick example? Where does one find one of these- is it something you look up in the yellow pages? I have GOT to make a career change before I lose my mind. I hate what I do and have been in this rut for 10 years since making the wrong career choice before college (went to art school), and now I'm stuck. I have no idea how to find inside myself what it is that I REALLY want to do.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Elephant
Elephant
I see people advertising as life coaches in the yellow pages, at alternative living fairs, health expos, on tribe.net, just about anywhere they can get the word out.

If you type "life coaching" into a seach engine, you get no shortage of results.

I often find I get the best referrals by asking people who are using the service(s) I'm considering who they are working with. If it works for doctors, dentists and tattoo artists, I bet asking friends who have tried life coaching for a suggestion would be a good idea.

C
C
Hi Annwaldron,

First, I will share that I am a Professional Life Coach and my answer will give you my experience of what life coaching is.

Most simply put, it is a series of conversations that moves you from where you are to where you want to be.

The conversation will determine your current blocks and give you tools to remove those blocks and chart out a plan to achieve your vision of personal and/or professioanl success, fulfillment and joy.

From the Internation Coach Federation...

"Professional coaches provide an ongoing partnership designed to help clients produce fulfilling results in their personal and professional lives. Coaches help people improve their performances and enhance the quality of their lives.

Coaches are trained to listen, to observe and to customize their approach to individual client needs. They seek to elicit solutions and strategies from the client; they believe the client is naturally creative and resourceful. The coach's job is to provide support to enhance the skills, resources, and creativity that the client already has."

Hope this helps. If you are keen to experience a complimentary coaching session, please view my website at www.MichelleDavies.ca

Experience the possibilities for your life...check out www.MichelleDavies.ca
Amoeba
Amoeba
Well i am not a life coach but i can explain what it is i want to do. maybe Michelle can chime in and let me know if this is realistic!
I want to be a diabetic lifecoach. It started when i was in a special group thru my health insurance for my diabetes. It included an RN, dietician, exercise coach, counselor and others if needed.
it was wonderful! it handled the holistic part that most people forget about.
how does stress affect you? are you eating right and are lows or highs affecting you? are you upset becuase you've not exercised right, in awhile, or forgotten? are there any other issues that crop up that you are having trouble with?
let alone the basics that Doctors don't usually even deal with, or give a patient info on.
a lot of people have said become a nutritionist. yet thats not what i want to DO. all a nutritionist deals with is...a um nutrition! not the rest of it.
i think this can be handled by a life coach with the focus on diabetes.
what do you think?

flowr
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
~W.B. Yeats ~
J
J
It's a bit difficult, because of the different ideas behind "Life Coaching". For example, Tony Robbins calls himself a life coach; and we see some really strange things going on in the name of Life Coaching on TV!

"Proper" Life Coaching - that is, the skill that is taught at Life Coaching schools and has come about after much research, development and invention - has, at its core, an active listening component.

Now, active listening is hardly new, but Life Coaching takes it to a whole new plane. It also borrows a few pointers from NLP, and adds a few methods of its own.

Life Coaching starts by assuming (as NLP does) that the client already has all the resources. It also assumes that the client has all the answers (but just doesn't realise it).

It goes on to draw out, in a way that to this day leaves me amazed every time it happens, the answers from the client.

Life Coaching had a huge boost when Sir John Whitmore and W Timothy Gallwey had a coaching school for tennis players and skiers. They were using this "new" form of coaching that had been developed. When they ran out of tennis players one day, they dressed their ski instructors (who knew nothing about tennis) in tennis clothes, gave them each a tennis racket, and told them under no circumstances to try to hit the ball!

They had a massive surprise. The tennis players improved hugely under the coaching of the ski instructors, way beyond what the tennis coaches had been achieving.

It didn't take long before business in America found that this "new" way of coaching worked not only for sport, but also in improving the efficiency of executives. Thus was born "Life Coaching" for executives, then for business people in general, and, of course for individuals (after all, an executive is but an individual).

The "life coaching" that you see on TV - even by qualified life coaches - is nothing whatsoever like formal Life Coaching, and it makes me laugh whenever I see it on TV.

Nancy Kline did some amazing research into why sometimes kids would be creative and have fantastic insights, yet other times the same kids would be dull and uninspired. She wrote the results in her book Time to Think. It introduces her concepts in a fantastic way, and IMO is a "must read" for parents, spouses and teachers (among others). Although it's not Life Coaching, Kline has had a direct effect on its development. This is one of my all-time favourite books.

Last edited by John_Guanzon; 12/13/06 04:03 PM.

"Learn and share Hypnosis Forum"
F
F
Life coaching is all of the above and more.

First and foremost, learning to become your own life coach is the strongest recommendation I can make. Think about it, who knows you best? Who else but you know all the little secrets, insecurities and fears you dare not share with others - either because you're unwilling or unable to?
Who best to work out the reason for this than you?

By all means, do use the services of a life coach - find a good one and you're in excellent hands. But know also that you are the driving force behind any positive changes you want to bring into your life. Focus on the path you want to take and where you want it to take you.

For starters, to help you get on track, all the help and goal setting tools and forms you need to self-coach are here:

http://www.health-womens-healthy-living-goals.com

S
S
Many of the things that I do as a "life coach" are the same as I did as a therapist. I think a coach is a bit more interactive than a therapist. I always had an "active listening" style as a therapist (Rogerian training among others) but I am more interactive and give more instruction and feedback as a coach. I think that coaching is designed for powerful, short-term sessions whereas therapy tends to be (but doesn't have to be) longer term.

Last edited by Susangpyp; 03/26/07 07:34 AM.

"Success is building a foundation with bricks thrown by others"
http://GettingPastYourPast.Wordpress.com
T
T
I have just come from Chris Howards 3 day seminar Breakthrough to Success. I am ready to take on the world.
Everyone has a chance to attend this 3 day seminar in Australia, Uk and america and canada. So plese do it.
Using neuro linguistic paterning NLP which I have only just heard of since this week end. Fantastic. goal setting and getting rid of all the negative that I created for myself over my life time, I am now ready and have the tools to forge ahead. I recommend this 3 day seminar to everyone. My partner who is extremely sceptic is so high on his new found energy we are going again in September 07. Everyone out there DO IT.

D
D
I wil suggest you to go to counselor. I think you must be knowing about counselor right. Counselor plays a very importantrole when you are confused. He/she will tell you the right thing to do in your life. Coz they will first see your past study records and then take an interview regarding the same adn then will advice you.

Dollars
attract money, wealth, prosperity n healthy relationship
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Moderated by  leahmullen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.