Matthew goes back to school next Thursday. Nicholas does not start until early September. I have started getting the classroom photo out and some other photos I took from the cafeteria in the morning when I dropped Matt off.

I remind him daily that he goes back to school and mention the names of his classmates, teacher and aide. I started packing his backpack with diapers, wipes and extra clothing.

How does everyone get their autistic child prepared for going back to school? Since the weather here in Los Angeles is in the 80s I do not go out and buy new clothing for a few weeks or longer.

We do have to get a new pair of sneakers, but Matthew was not interested the last time we tried this excursion. He does better with velcro tabs on his sneakers, but now that he is older they do not have them in the bigger sizes, so he is not as independent in the putting on and taking off of shoes.

Considering Nicholas just learned this task a year or so ago I believe it will take awhile to teach Matthew.

Nicholas and I will go to the Los Angeles Zoo and visit pet stores. I also want to go roller skating at a rink and go bowling - good exercise for the parent and things we cannot do as easily when Matthew is off of school.

A trip to Denny's for some chocolate chip pancakes after dropping Matthew off will be one of our first adventures. This helps work on table manners for Nicholas since we hardly ever venture out to Restaurants.

A funny thing happened last time we were at the Mall - just Nicholas and me when Matt was in school, I wanted Nick to try out Red Robin Restaurant instead of Mc Donald's. The hostess seated us near the grill and Nicholas made a rather loud remark about it smelling and simply walked out of the restaurant!

Maybe one day we will head over to Hollywood Boulevard and see what is playing at the Mann Theatre or go to the Santa Monica Pier.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site