Print Thread
C
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
C
I used to joke with my daughters that I wouldn't have any trouble with empty nest syndrome because when they grew up and started to create lives of their own, I would have more time to pursue areas of interest that I hadn't in many years (writing, artwork, travel, etc.). I also assured them that I would keep informed about their lives and keep them informed about my own. I made us all believe that I was looking forward to the new adventures we all faced.

Well, my nineteen year old decided that she was ready to try "independent living" about three months ago and she moved into her own apartment. I can honestly say that I cried on a daily basis for the first month she was gone. Yes, I still have my fifteen year old - and we have a lot more time together - but having my oldest leave home has been much harder than I expected.

Did anyone else out there come to the same revelation? If so, how did you handle it successfully? If not, share how you avoided this painful emptiness...

Last edited by Cynthia Parker, Single Parents Host; 06/21/05 10:35 AM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amoeba
Amoeba
My kids are 15, 12, and nearly 2. I used to feel the same way, however, my son (15) left home too early. He went to live with his father's mother approx a year ago now due to 'getting stressed' living with me, his step-father, sister and new baby. It's been a tough ride ever since, to come to terms with that. These days I dislike being at home on my own for any great length of time - the house doesn't feel the same. I have a close friend who is worrying about her kids leaving home in the future - they are 14!

W
W
This appears to be an old thread, but I'll post to it anyway.

The hardest time for me in letting go of my son - he's an only child, and was alone with me from the time he was born - was when he turned 11. He and I had moved to another province just after his fifth birthday, and we wound up living almost 1000 miles away from his father. His dad never really did bother wanting to see him, and Stephen didn't hear from him again until he was 11. That summer his dad called and asked if Stephen could come and visit him...so we made the arrangements and my son flew back home to stay with his dad for the summer. That had to be the longest 2 months of my life, I think. I did manage to keep busy and entertained myself, it was tough. Actually, I do recall the first week being rather enjoyable; had the place to myself and it was quiet! But by the end of the week...I really began to miss him. And it made me realize that some day, he would be gone for good.

Stephen wound up visiting his dad every summer for the next 5 years, and each year got a little bit easier. It also helped me in a sense, because he's now 24 and has been away at college - about a 6-hr drive away, and neither of us has a car - for the past 2-1/2 years. He has no plans to move back home, as this city isn't really geared toward the film industry, which is what he is pursuing...so I know that I won't be seeing him very often from now on. However, the things that have helped me through this are: the telephone and the Internet (he and I keep in touch every few days), and the fact that I know he's on a journey to fulfill his dream.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.