Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#171717 01/30/04 03:45 PM
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
What mindset helps you be the most creative?

I know that for a lot of people it is depression. Mostly because getting things out of your system and on paper (variation: canvas, clay, etc.) is like removing toxins out of your organism.

For me, personally, since I never have depression, the most creative moment is when I'm stressed.

Did you notice how art is essentially THERAPY?

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#171718 01/31/04 02:21 AM
Amoeba
Amoeba
Hmm, have you seen School of Rock? I just got home from that movie. Watch it! It's all about creative expression, freedom, the unbroken will, etc etc. I really enjoyed it.

#171719 01/31/04 02:19 PM
Amoeba
Amoeba
I just remembered another movie, "Isn't She Great" with Bette Midler and Nathan Lane. That's another one that taps into the underlying mindset of creativity and self-expression. It's sad that traditional education truly is the enemy of creativity. Basically, I think you have to be willing to let go of perfectionism, not to censor yourself, and BELIEVE in yourself. Basically, go against everything you've learned in school (everything I learned anyhow). I am in a Nazi graduate program, and creativity is viewed as a threat to certain professors. It's questioning their superior knowledge, etc. etc. I literally cannot think around them. It's horrible. Especially, as I am left-handed person who uses her right brain normally, this school program has been a soul-sucking experience.
And yes, I believe art is therapy. Likewise, music, movies, and dance can be extremely therapeutic as well. Also, watching individuals who are inspired and free-spirited is therapeutic. "Isn't She Great" was all about that sort of stuff. Funny too.

#171720 01/31/04 02:23 PM
Amoeba
Amoeba
I just remembered another movie, "Isn't She Great" with Bette Midler and Nathan Lane. That's another one that taps into the underlying mindset of creativity and self-expression. It's sad that traditional education truly is the enemy of creativity. Basically, I think you have to be willing to let go of perfectionism, not to censor yourself, and BELIEVE in yourself. Basically, go against everything you've learned in school (everything I learned anyhow). I am in a Nazi graduate program, and creativity is viewed as a threat to certain professors. It's questioning their superior knowledge, etc. etc. I literally cannot think around them. It's horrible. Especially, as I am left-handed person who uses her right brain normally, this school program has been a soul-sucking experience.
And yes, I believe art is therapy. Likewise, music, movies, and dance can be extremely therapeutic as well. Also, watching individuals who are inspired and free-spirited is therapeutic. "Isn't She Great" was all about that sort of stuff. Funny too.

#171721 01/31/04 03:06 PM
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Quote:
It's sad that traditional education truly is the enemy of creativity. Basically, I think you have to be willing to let go of perfectionism, not to censor yourself, and BELIEVE in yourself.
I respectfully disagree, to me, at least American education is too "creative" to even be valid! They are way too much into "there is no wrong answer"/"everyone can be a star" [censored], and that ain't true creativity at all, it's a way to never study and still get As. Besides, I would rather see MORE pupils *pursue* perfectionism AND *censor* themselves, at least around teachers. I'm talking about public high schools.

What program are you in?

I definitely did not see "School of Rock," and I'm not sure about "Isn't She Great." It does sound extremely familiar, what was the plot?

#171722 01/31/04 05:24 PM
Amoeba
Amoeba
Hi Ice Queen. I certainly agree with you about the fact that there are certain skill and facts that people DO need to learn. That's obvious. But, just as importantly, (why am I say 'just'?), MORE importantly, we also need to know how to use our own minds. And, nowhere along the way have I been taught to do (why am I saying "taught"?), have I been ALLOWED to do that, in the current program I'm in. And, yes, you better believe we're going to need that when we get out. There is no reason students can't learn AND think at the same time. No reason at all. It's the teacher's egos that get the most service, as far as I'm concerned. And, the truly great teachers DO let you use your mind. They don't need all of the glory. But, unfortunately, they are few and far between. I should say, sadly, they are few and far between.

#171723 01/31/04 05:29 PM
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Give me concrete examples please, I'm still vaccilating on whether I understand you correctly.

#171724 01/31/04 08:36 PM
Amoeba
Amoeba
Well, for example, there are some teachers who don't place much emphasis on understanding and using information, and exercising problem-solving skills. They want you to memorize and regurgitate. There is a right answer and a wrong answer, and no room for disagreement. That's not reality. Teachers concerned with reality will expect you to learn information (and you'll likely learn far more info with creative teachers), then USE it. Perhaps they will present you with a problem, then ask you to apply your knowledge, provide rationale, and CREATE solutions. And, if you have a logical argument, they allow room for disagreement. That's a good teacher. That is a far more realistic and interesting approach to training for a work environment. The old school, my way or the highways types, are bringing the system doooown. They need to go. Only in education are you rewarded for being a burden.

#171725 01/31/04 09:11 PM
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Quote:
there are some teachers who don't place much emphasis on understanding and using information, and exercising problem-solving skills. They want you to memorize and regurgitate. There is a right answer and a wrong answer, and no room for disagreement. That's not reality.
In every exact field (i.e. science as opposed to art), there is enough emphasis placed on problem-solving skills. Take math, physics, even literature -- they all have problems that pupils are required to solve, and that have a *finite set* of right solutions.

Quote:
And, if you have a logical argument, they allow room for disagreement. That's a good teacher.
Every teacher in my life has been like that, really. Even if they just didn't want to waste valuable class time arguing.

What *do* they do at your school (examples), that irks you so?

#171726 02/01/04 10:07 AM
Amoeba
Amoeba
I am in an exceptionally horrible program. It would take a therapist, a couch, and about a week to get through this question. They just suck. For example, I had a young client last semester who has learning problems, and my instructor tried to force me to "make her crumble". Push her a to a breakdown. It was disgusting, I wouldn't do it, and she flunked me because I wouldn't do it. She looks like an old witch, and she is an old witch. So, I am dealing with egos the size of Mount Rushmore. And when an ego gets that large, it's just disgusting. They literally make me sick.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jana - Creativity Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.