Next Thread
Print Thread
#142690 10/08/04 12:22 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Take a look at the headline for my local paper...

8-year-old gets four-day suspension
http://sentinelandenterprise.com/

If I were that teacher (I used to be a high school teacher) I would have had the girl give me the item & would have called the parents in for a conference and would have discussed what is & is not acceptable to bring to school & would have ended it there. The little girl in question - according to the article has no previous discipline problems at the school.

This is the school where my daughter went through 2nd grade. I pulled her out & started homeschooling her. She cried every night before school - she didn't want to go, she was afraid of being sent to that principal's office if her homework wasn't done. Her teacher wouldn't let her go to the bathroom - consequently she came home with wet pants. I called the prinicpal and told him that my daughter had been potty trained since age 2 1/2 and not letting my child go to the bathroom for over 6 hours was abuse. I let him know I was giving him the courtesy of a phone call to give him a chance to fix the situation before I called the Department of Social Services and filed abuse charges. Lord knows the school never would have called me first if they suspected I wasn't allowing my daughter go to the bathroom for that amount of time - they would have simply filed charges.

Anyway, I could go on & on. I'm going to also post this in the homeschooling forum & school reform. I'm also considering contacting the paper...

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#142691 10/09/04 06:17 PM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I send out a weekly (ok, sometimes bimonthly and sometimes monthly) email containing education "stories" from around North America.

It is amazing the stories of silly discipline!!

If anyone wants on my list, drop me a line at megisboss@att.net and I will add you to my mailing list.

Meg

Meg
The World is Our Classroom!
Homeschooling

Exotic Pets
#142692 11/09/04 08:30 AM
Sadly this sort of thing is waaay too common. I didn't catch the original report - I've only just "found" this forum - but your comments about toilet visiting rights etc are just so "normal" in UK schools. My SIL is a teacher and much as I love her dearly I wouldn't let her look after dd if she were going to treat her as she treats her students! For example, all children are supposed to be given free access to drinking water at all times during the day. SIL won't allow children to fill up their water bottles as then they will need to go to the toilet during her class and to quote her "If I can't go whenever I want to why should they?" She teaches 11 year olds.

See what our little family are up to at http://katyberisford.blogspot.com/ or see what we all look like at http://community.webshots.com/user/katyberisford
#142693 11/12/04 06:17 AM
MM Offline
Shark
Shark
http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/11/11/no.cartwheels.reut/index.html

This one's on a child suspended for doing cartwheels because they are "dangerous." (But they allow other sports to go on at school.) My kids did gymnastics for years, and they didn't get any more injuries than they did playing basketball. In fact, when I was in school, they taught those things in gym class and we were supposed to practice at recess. Illegal cartwheels? I'll bet if cartwheels were on the standardized tests, they'd allow them and forget all about the danger theory!

#142694 11/12/04 06:26 AM
Zebra
Zebra
I actually broke my arm when I was around 8 years old in gym class. I was doing one-handed cartwheels down a hill in the morning, slipped on the dewy grass, and then heard a loud SNAP: instant compound fracture in my left arm. The dumb gym teacher didn't see it, thought I was "faking" and made me do an obstacle course with a compound fracture that hurt like you wouldn't believe...

#142695 11/16/04 05:58 AM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
My oldest broke her elbow and arm last year playing on our home swing set. Granted she was using it more like mokey bars, but she was only about 2 ft from the ground.

Did ya'll hear about the story a few months ago where a boy swallowed the nub of a pencil (I still don't know quite how he managed it) and he told two teachers and neither believed him? His mom rushed him to the ER where they had to surgically remove it.

Meg

Meg
The World is Our Classroom!
Homeschooling

Exotic Pets

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.