logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
bam4514 Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
One of our members emailed me concerning neutered rats. I would like to hear from has many people as possible that have had their animals neutered, especially rats, rabbits ect. After they are neutered do you ever have problems with two neutered animals in one cage other than everyday spats, like who does the dishes. Also, very courious to hear about rabbits. Here on the Living History Ranch we have animals for the kids, I have all neutered animals for safety reasons. But, have not neutered our male rabbit. Though he has never shown any sign of aggression.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I'd be very careful about getting your rabbit nutuered and making sure that your vet has experience in this procedure, I had mine fixed so as to ward off territory spraying. He then had an issue with his digestive tract for the rest of his life where as his feces clung to his fur and he would not digest the soft pellets like he was supposed to. So I trimmed the fur on his bottom atleast once a week or every other for about 5 years until he died an old man at 6 years of age.
He didnt have a deteriorated way of life...if anything he was spoiled with a 20' x 20' fenced in grassy yard in the spring/summer/fall and a warm woodstove with kitties to harass in winter.
I do miss him and if I were to get another bunny I wouldnt get him fixed.

But I am just one person, hopefully others will have stories to share too =]
Wendy

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

bam4514 Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Thank you for sharing your imput. I would like to hear from several people. I noticed I had to do a lot of warm whirlpools on our rabbits behind, I still think it may be neutured from previous parent. It was a ranch donation. I have never felt anything in his sac just skin.
Thank you!
Diana

LML Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I've had pet rats (both males and females) and I don't see a reason to nueter them (I could just be uninformed). My males never had any unwanted behaviors, like other unneutered animals can. Truthfully, my females were more prone to fighting. The males were very easy going.

And as Wendy said, make sure your vet knows how to work with rats. Our vet is the only one in the area that will take exotics and I was only the second person to bring in rats.

bam4514 Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I couldn't agree more about finding the right vet. Long time ago, face it I will be a half of a century old in six weeks. One of my first parrots I had a heck of a time finding a avian vet. I finally found an exotic vet and then he moved to become a zoo vet. Dang him! Eventually he returned. More and more vets would take exotics. Most hate my interview process, but deal with it. If they can handle my pet right of the bat I walk out with my "kid" Picking the right vet is sometimes a very long process. Vets that will deal with skunks is extremely difficult. If the vet gets bit once he can have the animal distroyed. This is one of the reasons I choose to learn to deal with most things myself. Including shots.
Diana

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.