Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#137577 10/16/04 09:28 AM
MM Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
The terrible hurricanes in Florida have drawn new attention to the importance of emergency preparedness. It's not just a Y2K joke or a last days thing or whatever it was, but an intelligent way to prepare for any emergency a family might face, including unemployment, hurricanes or serious illness. If you were cut off from stores (due to financial or emergency conditions, electricity, water and other important resources, could you survive? Share what you do to be ready for emergencies and to help your kids in these situations.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#137578 10/17/05 10:04 AM
Shark
Shark
I was caught in the recent storm that devasted Mississippi and Lousiana coast lines. I am here so I suppose I survived.

One thing that came to mind after is that no amount of standard preparation would have prepared us for what happened after. I stress standard here. Most in my area follow storm preparation guidelines for stocking up and readying for the storm. It wasn't enough this time.

Houses today are not designed for self sustained living unless they are custom built for that. I realised this on day five of not having water and electricity. We had the ability to withstand three days of being cut off from supplies and utilities, beyond that became difficult.

We drew water from a muddy creek for hand washing clothes, we rationed food and drinking water, we used the outdoor grill to cook meats as they thawed, my husband was preparing a cook pit with firewood when food assistance came through.

I plan to have more gasoline, more appropriate foods, cooking fuel or means and more water in the future.

If dreams could come true,I would also build a house that is better designed for self-sustained living. A cistern would have been much loved right around the time we were running out of water.

Mythical Fact of Homeschooling: Children will become clones of their parents.

Rogue Reality: Why does my son have green hair?
#137579 10/17/05 10:50 PM
Gecko
Gecko
I am glad you are okay. I have friends inland Mississippi, we were shocked at their damage. I learned 20 years ago to wash all my dirty clothes before the hurricane. When Ivan was coming, family members evacuated to our inland house. He is in the Natl. Guard, and they brought everything and more, stuff I would never have thought of. So I made a list! And when Dennis made landfall one mile down the shore from my house, I was nowhere around, but evacuated inland, with my long list of stuff. We actually prepared the inland house ahead of time, stocked it up. I think people truly have to go through it to understand the basic hurricane preparation guidelines ARE just basic; if it is a bad storm that is a different story. Hope you are able to get back on your feet soon.

#137580 10/18/05 06:54 AM
Parakeet
Parakeet
I think most of us forget about the cooking aspect of storage, at least beyond our 72 hour kits. I plan to extend our 72 hour kits to cover more time, just to be safe. We're in a rather hard to get to area, surrounded by businessess and only a few houses, so it's unlikely anyone would be looking for us in any hurry.

Terrie Lynn Bittner
Training Manager
LDS Families
Author of Homeschooling:Take a Deep Breath--You Can Do This!

AOL: TerrieLBittner
#137581 12/05/06 11:43 PM
Our emergency wasn't weather related, but financial. Living in North Texas that is what I was told to prepare for and I am so happy that we did. I have learned to keep a freezer stocked with at least two to three months worth of meat and canned goods and other non or slowly perishable items. My husband was a special forces soldier and has shown me some field survival tricks and I learned others from a special that is currently airing on discovery about urban disasters. I particularly liked the nugget about keeping lemon juice on hand to chemically "cook" fish (it only works on fish). You put the fish in a pot and cover it with lemon juice and after a couple of hours the fish is safe to eat, helping to prolong your food supply. The show also demonstrates how to make a lantern from a headlight and car battery, how to escape from a sinking car, even how to break through your roof in the event that the water has risen to your attic like in Katrina. I was able to purchase an alternate power source that I leave in my van with auxiliary ports and a search light. I have found that if there is anything that I will always take with me from my time in the LDS church, it will be the importance of preparedness.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I� I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.
#137582 12/06/06 09:23 AM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Preparing for an emergency is fine and I practice it. However, there was no preparing for Katrina. Evacuating and staying away was all we could do. Returning was only possible when a place to live became available. For many that has not yet happened 15 months later. We returned, finished the demolition of our house that Katrina started, bought another one and are preparing to leave Louisiana. So in this most unusual case, the preparation for Katrina was having a few bucks in the bank so evacation and alternate living arrangements could be made.

Jan Goldfield

Moderated by  C.S. Bezas, LDS Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.