BellaOnline
Posted By: ExerciseEditor what workout WILL you be doing today? - 03/31/11 04:25 PM
Had a killer interval workout yesterday. We walked and sprinted to the grocery store and back which took about 40 minutes then I did mobility and stretched for about 30 min.

I had planned on doing glute/core and Franklin Method yesterday but that's just not how it worked out so I'll just be doing that today.

20 min. glutes/core circuit
20 min. Franklin method
+ 40 min. yoga too

What workout WILL you be doing today. If you don't want to workout then go ahead and post it in the Trouble With Exercise Motivation post.

I'll be adding a what's your excuse for not working out today post as well so feel free to post there too : )
Posted By: jeriy Re: what workout WILL you be doing today? - 04/01/11 02:46 PM
Hi Monica,
I wanted to let you know I ran on the beach yesterday afternoon for about 10 minutes & my ankle feels fine =) As long as I don't feel ANY pain, I'm slowly going to build up my running time. However, I don't plan to run more than twice a week.

It's very timely that I started running again because of the amount of stress at work I'm experiencing right now. I bought a large dry erase board for my office/workout room so I can write out my fitness goals (daily, weekly, etc) & motivational quotes - anything to help me to stay focused.

This morning I'm going to do at least 40 min of yoga so I can relax before I head into work today.
I modified yesterday's workout to 50 min. yoga in the afternoon and then 40 min. of Franklin method foam roller at night.

My hip flexors and glutes were too tight from running uphill to do the glute/core workout I had planned so doing it today (finally) and also adding in some bodyweight exercises for upper body.

circuit 1:
plank knee ins with kickbacks
downdog kickbacks
single leg deadlifts

circuit 2:
seated toe touches to alternating wheel
horse stance
swinging plank

circuit 3:
inverted pushup to bear squat
10 lb. sandbell single leg deadlift
trx hip thrusts to inverted rows

30 min. of stretching and foam roller

Posted By: jeriy Re: what workout WILL you be doing today? - 04/15/11 02:59 PM
Hi Monica,
In addition to my regular workouts, I decided to commit to walking 20-30 min during my lunch break at work everyday. As you know, I've been going through an enormous amount of stress at work & working thru lunch/eating at my desk was not working & just making me feel more stressed. I also spoke to the security guard at our building & he said he'd be more than happy to let me into the stairwell (our building has 15 floors) whenever I want for a workout.

Taking time to yourself mid day makes you more productive in the afternoon so good for you for making this commitment to take care of your health. BTW, 15 floor stairwell sounds like a blast! Have fun!!
I walked twice this weekend and also did an intense circuit workout yesterday but I didn't stretch much all weekend so I'm seriously tight today.

My circuit workout yesterday was 4 rounds of 8-10 reps of all the following exercises no rest between exercises and 60 min. rest between the 4 circuits.
burpees w/pushups from knees
trx inverted rows
sandbell sumo squats to alternating revere lunges w/overhead press and slam (long name, amazing results)
table top with toe touch
swinging plank
jumping jacks

This workout is not for beginners to intermediates! It only takes 20 minutes but that is more than enough to kick an intermediate to advanced person's butt!

I had done nothing but moderate workouts all last week so my body was ready for that but I should have stretched for at least 20 min. after that workout instead of just 5 min.

I'll be doing a long flow yoga session and swimming today to lengthen my very tight muscles (not sore just tight).
Tonight is my Monday gym night. I do the Aqua-fit water aerobics followed by the Zumba. Time to get ready!
Awesome!
Feeling good. Worked up a good sweat and no ankle pain tonight!!!
@Diane....I love Zumba! The Zumba class really has some great moves and our instructor keeps it interesting.

As for me..today I did 15 mintues on the elliptical, then I did some leg presses, and some ab work. I feel so good after I exercise.
Maria,

Isn't it great when you have a good Zumba instructor? Our class is always packed!

I loved the elliptical, unfortunately it doesn't like my ankles...

Today - it will be Seastride, which is a variation on water aerobics, basically the same moves. I liked yesterday's instructor, she actually got in the water with us a couple of times instead of just working on the deck. When they are on the deck they don't have the water weight limiting the speed of movements, so sometimes it feels like you have to practically kill yourself moving as fast.

I also liked using the weights in the water, that was good too!

I MAY do the 8:00 Zumba but that means about 45 minutes of waiting around between classes. I'll have to see.

Has anyone taken a deep water aerobics class (the ones I've taken have been shallow end? What are the challenges?

I had a phone call last night so I couldn't do the Seastride class, I did make it to the Zumba class and I must admit I only stayed about 40 minutes of the 55 minute class.

Why didn't I stay for the last 15 minutes? This was a different instructor and she was HORRIBLE. Nice, but horrible. She told us in the beginning that it was choreographed so "it may be hard to keep up, but just try." She kept changing the steps, then when she did have a particular pattern, SHE would forget and say "oops sorry, let's just do this step until I can think of where I am." A routine so choreographed that you can't pick up where you're supposed to be if you mis-step? Really?

People where walking out in pairs. I tried for as long as I could, but...

She was really enjoying herself too!!!

So night I'm hoping to do Seastride (barring any phone calls) and the Zumba tonight is the regular instructor.
Hey at least you showed up and stayed as long as you could. I've had that happen at yoga studios and been so disappointed that I almost asked for my money back. I wonder if anybody has ever tried that.

That's actually one of the reasons I stopped doing studio yoga. It was always so hit and miss. Good instructors are hard to come by these days.

You will rock it tonight though and btw, you and Maria are making me want to go take a class.
Posted By: AnneE Re: what workout WILL you be doing today? - 04/20/11 03:04 PM
I decided I felt like running FAST this morning. So I set a new PR for a mile on my treadmill. I don't think it's a record for anyone else but myself, so I'm going to pass on reporting the time. Then I walked and jogged another mile.
I am certain it's faster than what I can run. I stink at running fast. Always have and always will but it's not how fast you go it's that you tried that matters. You rock!
Posted By: jeriy Re: what workout WILL you be doing today? - 04/20/11 10:15 PM
I finally decided to do the stairwell workout today (it's actually 16 floors) because it's getting a bit hot & humid outside to go walking midday. The security guard was surprised I did it so fast. He kept warning me beforehand it's really hard & I just told him I workout regularly so it shouldn't be a problem & it wasn't =)
Jeriy - that sounds like fun. I saw that in a movie once and always wanted to try it, but I don't live or work in any buildings that are more then 2 levels.

Tonight was awesome. Seastride, we used balls pushing them down and around in the water...OMG, that was hard - great workout on the arms.

Then to...
Zumba - yeah!!! totally worked up a sweat tonight- definitely went all out, more so then usual. As I was leaving, I saw my husband's car so I went back in and found him in the weight room.
He said it's my turn to get a massage tonight - I'll be ready when HE gets home.

I also saw my boss when I was there tonight too. That gym is a busy place. Now I know what he'll be talking about tomorrow....lol...I'm hoping he didn't see me in my bathing suit...there's something that just feels so wrong about that...lol...
Posted By: jeriy Re: what workout WILL you be doing today? - 04/21/11 02:27 AM
Dianne - I'm thinking the next time I'll go up & down twice or skip a step. I saw this quote: "A women's health can be judged by which she takes two at a time - pills or stairs". Your comment about your boss seeing you in a bathing suit just cracked me up. Also, I was planning on taking a zumba class earlier this month but I was feeling a little under the weather that day so I had to cancel. I just hope I get a good instructor. Like Monica, I've taken a few yoga classes & haven't been back because of mediocore instructors so I just practice yoga at home.
Glad you guys got a great workout. I was fighting off something yesterday so felt awful but I'm good today. Three peeps in my family are sick so I am glad that I took the day off to let my immune system do it's job. Not sure what I'll be doing today but it will be moderate intensity to help my body fight this nasty virus making the rounds.
Posted By: nataliya Re: what workout WILL you be doing today? - 04/22/11 11:24 AM
hi, i always doing some new or exciting exercise suggested from my health orbit. there are many exercise in health orbit. all of them are great and very effective.you can also try some on of them in 'how-to-jump-high-in-basketball.yourhealthorbit.com'
Ms. M - I hope you're feeling better!!!

Today is a toss up. Zumba and water aerobics are at the same time. Yikes. I could ease out today and just get up tomorrow morning and do both, but that would never do. So today it will be a surprise at 6:30, I will do one or the other, but I'm actually leaning towards the land exercise. I'll bring my suit, just in case it's the bad instructor.
jeriy,
let me know when you take your first Zumba class and if you like it!
Had a good workout Thur. only did mobility yesterday (was still not feeling 100%). Today I feel great so I went for a 20 min. walk, tacked on 3 sprints, added in about 10 min. of mobility and then stretched for 20 min. I might do a longer yoga session tomorrow. Sunday is high intensity circuit workout day!
Walked for an hour today, stretched for 20 min. and going swimming in bit. The weather is amazing today!
Posted By: jeriy Re: what workout WILL you be doing today? - 04/24/11 05:17 PM
Hi Monica,
Hope you're 100% better.

Hi Dianne,
Will do...it might be a while (my schedule is so crazy which is why I workout at 5:00 am)

I did 20 min of upper body strength training today & a 25 min run. Going to do some major spring cleaning & yardwork today too.
Happy Easter Jeri! Have fun burning calories : )
Posted By: jeriy Re: what workout WILL you be doing today? - 04/24/11 05:29 PM
Happy Easter to you & your family =)
You guys are amazing. The only exercise I'll be doing is stirring a few pots and pans.

Happy Easter!
...lol...Lori too funny!

Today is a day of rest, the only workout I'm getting in is running up and down the stairs doing a major bedroom cleaning, laundry, back and forth to the bbq grill with a few steaks and in and out of my office putting away stuff.

My house is empty, everyone is out doing something so I'm enjoying the peace and quiet.

It's feeling like a workout anyway....

ms m - wow!!!
Day of rest, Dianne? LOL. Doesn't sound like you're resting at all.

After last night's feast, I am turning a new leaf today. Definitely will be working out. I can't get into the weight lifting so it's pilates and a long walk for me.
We had so much fun at the pool yesterday but I realized that I've been so focused on hip rehab and flexibility that my core is not as tight as I want it to be for bikini season.

I had already added some core exercises back in this month but I think I need to do a bit more all next month. I'm starting today with a high intensity fatloss circuit that includes some evil gliding disc exercises for the abs.
Posted By: jeriy Re: what workout WILL you be doing today? - 04/25/11 04:19 PM
Got my period this morning (yuck) so probably just walking today & tomorrow. I'm feeling slightly sore from yesterday's workout - I just love that feeling. I'm in the same boat w/ you Monica - I need to add some more core exercises to my routine.
I generally get lazy about core in the winter but this year it's taken me longer to get back into core workouts because of rehab. I'm ready now!!!
Ms. M, it's hard to imagine you being lazy about ANYTHING...lol...

Lori, Walking works too!!!

Jeriy, I hope you're feeling better today!!!

A bit of household drama made it impossible for me to get to the gym, but tonight is my advanced swim class so, I'll get a bit of a work out...looking forward to it!

They have Gravity equipment at the gym and it looks rather intereting, but I keep missing the Gravity 101 class. I hope to go Thursday's class otherwise I have to wait until it's offered again next Monday.
Gravity 101? That sounds cool. What is it?!!

Jeri, I hope you are all better. What you have is contageous. You gave it to me now (LOL) but not too bad this time around so my workout yesterday was:

4 circuits of the following with 1 min. rest between circuits

trx incline row 8-12 (the reps on this vary so much for me)
burpees with pushups from knees 6-8
valslide reverse + lateral lunges 6-8
valslide plank pikes 8-12 (evil vicious core ripper exercise)
table top to toe touch 12-15
jumping jacks

Each circuit took about 3 1/2 min. so with rest the entire workout took about 20 min. I finished up with 10 min. of stretching then another 30 min. of stretching before bed.

Today I'm doing functional upper body plus biceps and core circuit. It's moderate intensity day!
Posted By: jeriy Re: what workout WILL you be doing today? - 04/26/11 05:45 PM
Thanks everyone...I'm feeling better today (usually the 1st day is the pits). I'm going to tackle the 16 flights of stairs today...if I'm feeling up to it I may do it twice. That Gravity 101 class does sounds interesting.
Posted By: Joan541 Re: what workout WILL you be doing today? - 04/27/11 12:01 AM
I've been doing 30 minutes of Tai Chi every morning, plus one of my 10 minute workouts, plus about 20 of yoga stretches.

It's great to see all the workouts everybody is doing! It's really motivating.
Healthymom62, It is VERY motivating to log in and see what everyone is up to. I've never done Tai Chi. They used to offer it as part of the package when I belong to the YMCA, but the rec centers only offer it for a cost. I've always wanted to try it.

Tonight is the last night of the Wednesday Bible Study class I'm co-facilitiating so I will see what I can get in at lunch today. I'll check back in later.
That's awesome HM62. I was always terrible at Tai Chi but have not tried in a long time. One of my clients was using it for shoulder and hip rehab and it was helping a lot.

Yesterday's workout was:
5 min. mobility

2 circuits of 10-12 reps of:
horse stance
stability ball lateral roll
stability ball w drill + cobra back extension
TRX W and Y drill

Intermission - Worked out late so got interrupted with dinner and other stuff but continued half an hour later. Not the best way to workout but better than only doing half the workout.

3 circuits of 10-12 reps
stability ball db pullovers + flys
TRX power pull
TRX pushup

3 circuits of 8-10 reps
stability ball hip extensions (bent leg)
stability ball leg curls
bent over db rows
sandbell single leg stiff leg deadlift

15 min. stretching

Today is yoga day!
Posted By: jeriy Re: what workout WILL you be doing today? - 04/27/11 06:57 PM
Leaving work early today so going for an hour long walk then picking up my daughter & hubby & going to the pool. When I'm feeling low on energy I usually don't feel like doing any kind of structured workout so I make the most of it & just fit in some kind of fun activity.
Impressive Ms. M.

We have severe weather today, so I'm not sure if we will be having our swim class tonight. I was hoping to because my backstroke is definitely improving.

When there is thunder and lightning, they usually cancel anything in the water. They aren't even allowing the school classes to take place in any modular trailers today, all field trips have been cancelled and that weather radio keeps going off every 5 minutes.

So if class is cancelled, I will finally take that Gravity 101 class I've been wanting to go to.

That's actually a very easy workout for me (a little too easy actually). I know for some it would kill but you gotta remember I've been at this since I was 15 years old : )

I try to mix it up so I have a couple of easy a couple of moderate and a couple of high intensity workouts every week but lately it's either been hard or easy. I need to find that medium ground again.

I skipped yoga yesterday and did mobility, went swimming, and then stretched for 40 min. instead.
Posted By: jeriy Re: what workout WILL you be doing today? - 04/28/11 03:46 PM
Doing the stairs workout at lunch today - I'm going to do 16 flights twice (I did 16 then walked down & did 8 flights the other day). Also going for a 20 minute run this afternoon on the beach.

My plan this morning was to wake up early & do some strength training but I was exhausted from my pool "workout" yesterday afternoon (which was basically chasing/swimming after my daughter for about an hour).
I knew you would get your energy back fast. That happens when you just scale it back and listen to your body : )

BTW, I'm so jealous!!!! No stairs other than my home stairs around here. There's stadium steps near the training studio but I won't be over to that part of town until next Tue.

I did a fun pool play workout yesterday with my son. We raced across the pool then played Toro (our version of bullfight in the water). It's fun and you get tired of chasing and leaping in the water.
I was supposed to do a TRX pilates hybrid workout yesterday but instead did the all walking/mobility routine instead. Shopped for 3 hours yesterday then when I got home my feet were killing and the only thing I wanted to do was mobility exercises. What a lazy bum! I'm doing the TRX pilates fusion today along with a 15 min. circuit workout too.
I wish my building had a few stairs too!

Today I did a 8am Zumba class, followed by the 9 am aqua-fit. I was going to do the 10 am deep water, but the instructor didn't show up so after about 20 minutes treading water I decided to just come on home.
© BellaOnline Forums