Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
This thought about not wearing jewelry while pregnant stems from both practical and superstitious beliefs. Someone already mentioned that the body will swell or gain weight, making rings on fingers tight. Same with tight bracelets and chokers. That pinches capillaries and restricts blood flow which is not good for the fingers and hands.

Any sort of allergic reaction from metals for those with sensitive skin places minor stress on the body, too. It has been reported in the medical community that some women who have not experienced metal allergies can develop contact dermatitis (especially to gold) during pregnancy due to fluctuations in hormone levels and antibodies.

One must be especially aware of what type of metal is in their jewelry, especially when manufactured overseas. Some "silver" or costume jewelry contains lead which is highly toxic. Beware of children's jewelry and charms. The CA gov just cited an LA jewelry seller for mislabeling jewelry as "lead free" when, in fact, it was not. A child's death was reported due to lead poisoning.

Healthystuff.org just announced that cheap jewelry is filled with toxic chemicals and that pregnant women should avoid wearing them: "The chemicals tested were lead, cadmium, arsenic, chlorine, PVC, bromine, chromium, nickel and mercury – toxins which have been linked to cancer, liver toxicity, impaired learning, birth defects, allergies, delayed conception, and more."

Unless you know your jewelry source and quality, some pregnant women find it safer to go jewelry free during gestation.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
As for the superstitious beliefs, it is an old wives' tale not to wear jewelry. Why? Well, I'll go out on a limb to explain this even though people may not agree and that is okay with me. Everyone has his or her own belief system. But it is believed that the metals and gems are earth elements each of which holds a certain energy vibration. Also, jewelry can be symbolic without anyone realizing it. It is believed that such symbols can draw energy towards the wearer and thus, the growing fetus within.

HOWEVER, it is MY belief that a mother's womb is a protective and protected place for a developing fetus. Jewelry is unlikely to harm the baby UNLESS the mother INTENTIONALLY dons some symbolic jewelry with negative energy. Actually, a mother's negative thoughts and feelings and emotions and physical state have more of an effect upon her fetus that what she wears upon her body because all of the above are internal.

In any case, wear jewelry if you so desire! Just be happy and avoid toxic metals! But that is a given whether pregnant or not!

Actually, I very much appreciate this thread because I have been wearing a lot of cheap costume jewelry since I like it. But, I have been noticing lately that my memory and brain has been getting foggy. It is due to my glucose levels and age, for sure, but I also now wonder if my cheap costume jewelry is filled with lead!!! Lead has long been tied to memory and brain function loss.

Do you know why they used to call those Old English hat makers "Mad Hatters?" Hats used to be lined with a lead material. They wore lead on their heads all day long for years and were known to be mentally loony.

Last edited by Lori-Dreams; 06/14/13 09:28 AM.

Lori Phillips
Dreams editor

Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

Marriage editor
Bellaonline Marriage site
Twitter: @BellaMarriage
Shark
Shark
It's true pregnant women can wear any kind of jewelry and their no effect.

N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
I never heard of that and I am sure it is not true.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Very nice Lori. I love the "Mad Hatter's" reference. I never knew that. Although I don't wear jewelry, I've made some (go figure) and I do like the way it looks. I've always been a bit of a tomboy so jewelry didn't make it into the mix.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.