BellaOnline
Posted By: Omily Can pregnant person wear jewelry? - 01/24/13 09:53 PM
Hey, everyone. I hear that pregnant person cannot wear jewelry. Is it true?
Of course it isn't. I wore jewelry through both of my pregnancies with no problems at all. That said, sometimes fingers swell in pregnancy and rings can be uncomfortable or even too tight to wear at all. Some cultures have beliefs about jewelry and pregnancies, but there is no medical reason for a pregnant woman to not wear jewelry.
Posted By: Omily Re: Can pregnant person wear jewelry? - 01/28/13 03:24 AM
Thank you for your answer, Luna. laugh
Posted By: Style Cafe' Re: Can pregnant person wear jewelry? - 03/11/13 05:47 PM
In my opinion, wearing fashion jewelry that is gold layered is a much better quality than your average plated jewelry which can be found at many department stores and retail mall stores(your average fashion jewelry). Gold Plated has lead base and is used in a factory that is based around melting faux metals which can harm the uv on the jewelry. a.k.a. that is why gold plated fashion jewelry tarnished and can break, it is weak lighting and that is why it is inexpensive. Now for Gold Layered Jewelry it is actually real speaks of gold that was layered or rubbed off gold pieces. They are then layered on top of the metal piece to give that effect of real gold. Honestly, I think Gold Layered has better quality and less harmful manufacturing components than your average gold plated jewelry.
Posted By: TresaGP Re: Can pregnant person wear jewelry? - 05/14/13 05:20 PM
I merchandise for a line of hand-crafted fashion jewelry that is hypoallergenic, nickel free and lead free. I love it and get complimented all the time when I wear it. Chloe and Isabel by Tresa if you want to check it out.
It is not true.
Posted By: Meredeth King Re: Can pregnant person wear jewelry? - 05/23/13 03:44 AM
Of course it's not true. But it's better not to wear ring during pregancy because rings may no longer fit as hands swell. While necklaces and bracelets are ok as they can take off easily.
Posted By: Rodelma Lopez Re: Can pregnant person wear jewelry? - 06/07/13 11:43 PM
...I cannot believe people think that way...its been ages pregnant women wear jewelries and perfectly fine...pregnant women wear jewelries so long they are comfortable with it
Posted By: Valerie13 Re: Can pregnant person wear jewelry? - 06/13/13 07:55 AM
Although, I know that other cultures have beliefs that pregnant women should not wear jewelry. But for me, it's not true. Pregnant women can wear jewelry if they are comfortable with it. There are many women who got pregnant and wore jewelries but their babies came out fine. So, definitely it is not true.
Posted By: ACCxo Re: Can pregnant person wear jewelry? - 06/14/13 12:52 PM
Omily, good question when I was pregnant I did wear jewelry because I didn't know it would affect my pregnancy. Here is a good article to read:BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Can pregnant person wear jewelry? - 06/14/13 01:26 PM
This thought about not wearing jewelry while pregnant stems from both practical and superstitious beliefs. Someone already mentioned that the body will swell or gain weight, making rings on fingers tight. Same with tight bracelets and chokers. That pinches capillaries and restricts blood flow which is not good for the fingers and hands.

Any sort of allergic reaction from metals for those with sensitive skin places minor stress on the body, too. It has been reported in the medical community that some women who have not experienced metal allergies can develop contact dermatitis (especially to gold) during pregnancy due to fluctuations in hormone levels and antibodies.

One must be especially aware of what type of metal is in their jewelry, especially when manufactured overseas. Some "silver" or costume jewelry contains lead which is highly toxic. Beware of children's jewelry and charms. The CA gov just cited an LA jewelry seller for mislabeling jewelry as "lead free" when, in fact, it was not. A child's death was reported due to lead poisoning.

Healthystuff.org just announced that cheap jewelry is filled with toxic chemicals and that pregnant women should avoid wearing them: "The chemicals tested were lead, cadmium, arsenic, chlorine, PVC, bromine, chromium, nickel and mercury – toxins which have been linked to cancer, liver toxicity, impaired learning, birth defects, allergies, delayed conception, and more."

Unless you know your jewelry source and quality, some pregnant women find it safer to go jewelry free during gestation.
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Can pregnant person wear jewelry? - 06/14/13 01:27 PM
As for the superstitious beliefs, it is an old wives' tale not to wear jewelry. Why? Well, I'll go out on a limb to explain this even though people may not agree and that is okay with me. Everyone has his or her own belief system. But it is believed that the metals and gems are earth elements each of which holds a certain energy vibration. Also, jewelry can be symbolic without anyone realizing it. It is believed that such symbols can draw energy towards the wearer and thus, the growing fetus within.

HOWEVER, it is MY belief that a mother's womb is a protective and protected place for a developing fetus. Jewelry is unlikely to harm the baby UNLESS the mother INTENTIONALLY dons some symbolic jewelry with negative energy. Actually, a mother's negative thoughts and feelings and emotions and physical state have more of an effect upon her fetus that what she wears upon her body because all of the above are internal.

In any case, wear jewelry if you so desire! Just be happy and avoid toxic metals! But that is a given whether pregnant or not!

Actually, I very much appreciate this thread because I have been wearing a lot of cheap costume jewelry since I like it. But, I have been noticing lately that my memory and brain has been getting foggy. It is due to my glucose levels and age, for sure, but I also now wonder if my cheap costume jewelry is filled with lead!!! Lead has long been tied to memory and brain function loss.

Do you know why they used to call those Old English hat makers "Mad Hatters?" Hats used to be lined with a lead material. They wore lead on their heads all day long for years and were known to be mentally loony.
Posted By: James Andrew Re: Can pregnant person wear jewelry? - 03/31/14 10:25 AM
It's true pregnant women can wear any kind of jewelry and their no effect.
Posted By: Nancy Roussy Re: Can pregnant person wear jewelry? - 05/09/15 05:12 PM
I never heard of that and I am sure it is not true.
Very nice Lori. I love the "Mad Hatter's" reference. I never knew that. Although I don't wear jewelry, I've made some (go figure) and I do like the way it looks. I've always been a bit of a tomboy so jewelry didn't make it into the mix.
© BellaOnline Forums