Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
About 10 years ago I signed up for an online degree, paid the fees and was enthused about getting started. I began two classes at once (C, Algebra) and emailed the coursework in without any problem. I got As. I was so psyched! Then it came time for the final exam. They told me it HAD to be proctored so they could prove it was actually me taking the test.

I understand their point - they don't want to give a degree to someone who didn't do the work. But I couldn't find ANY library around who would do the proctoring. I wrote the school back and forth and they were firm on the rule. I literally ended up not getting my degree because of this proctor requirement.

Could any of you online degree holders let me know if your college required proctors? I think some modern schools use webcams instead which is fine by me! I'm happy to take my test in front of a webcam. It was just so frustrating to have the "stumbling block" be the fact that nobody would sit and watch me for 2 hours after every single course, to make sure it was really me taking my final exam for that course.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Lisa,
Test proctors are available for hire. I've signed up (as a mode of income) to be a test proctor. To hire one try testproctors.com. This site is operated by eLearningToolBox.com. Also, the National College Testing Association (NCTA-BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by SalterKnowsDL-editor; 02/03/09 04:58 PM.

Sanita Salter, DistLearning Editor
Dist Learning Website
Dist Learning Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I think after paying a chunk of money to take the courses that I would really chafe to have to pay someone every time I finished a given course, to be able to move on to the next course. I would much rather find a system that didn't require the proctoring, if it came down tot hat ...

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
I remember the UBB code instructions are part of the initial training. I will look at them again and repost the link appropriately.

Dist Learning Website
Dist Learning Forum
Hi Lisa,
One of the things to look for when choosing a distance learning program is how will they test or assess your learning. I never thought of that part even with my own distance learning program. I have completed my masters degree in psychology completely online. Im currently editing my thesis and hope to be done by 2/22/09 with all edits. The oral defense will be done via a powerpoint presentation, and conference call. And although its nothing new, I've done conference calls for court matters before, it helps with the residency requirements. I think that is another direction in which changes will be made in education as well as in distance learning as a whole.

Dist Learning Website
Dist Learning Forum
K
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
K
Talk to the CLEP testing administrator at a near by College. I found they will often proctor other exams. You should expect to pay a proctor fee for their time. It typical takes 2 hours to proctor an exam, but it's up to the proctor. Some will do it for free.

CLEP Test Center Location Search

Moderated by  Patricia PN - DL Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/08/24 09:46 PM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.