BellaOnline
About 10 years ago I signed up for an online degree, paid the fees and was enthused about getting started. I began two classes at once (C, Algebra) and emailed the coursework in without any problem. I got As. I was so psyched! Then it came time for the final exam. They told me it HAD to be proctored so they could prove it was actually me taking the test.

I understand their point - they don't want to give a degree to someone who didn't do the work. But I couldn't find ANY library around who would do the proctoring. I wrote the school back and forth and they were firm on the rule. I literally ended up not getting my degree because of this proctor requirement.

Could any of you online degree holders let me know if your college required proctors? I think some modern schools use webcams instead which is fine by me! I'm happy to take my test in front of a webcam. It was just so frustrating to have the "stumbling block" be the fact that nobody would sit and watch me for 2 hours after every single course, to make sure it was really me taking my final exam for that course.
Lisa,
Test proctors are available for hire. I've signed up (as a mode of income) to be a test proctor. To hire one try testproctors.com. This site is operated by eLearningToolBox.com. Also, the National College Testing Association (NCTA-BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
I think after paying a chunk of money to take the courses that I would really chafe to have to pay someone every time I finished a given course, to be able to move on to the next course. I would much rather find a system that didn't require the proctoring, if it came down tot hat ...
I remember the UBB code instructions are part of the initial training. I will look at them again and repost the link appropriately.
Hi Lisa,
One of the things to look for when choosing a distance learning program is how will they test or assess your learning. I never thought of that part even with my own distance learning program. I have completed my masters degree in psychology completely online. Im currently editing my thesis and hope to be done by 2/22/09 with all edits. The oral defense will be done via a powerpoint presentation, and conference call. And although its nothing new, I've done conference calls for court matters before, it helps with the residency requirements. I think that is another direction in which changes will be made in education as well as in distance learning as a whole.
Talk to the CLEP testing administrator at a near by College. I found they will often proctor other exams. You should expect to pay a proctor fee for their time. It typical takes 2 hours to proctor an exam, but it's up to the proctor. Some will do it for free.

CLEP Test Center Location Search
© BellaOnline Forums