Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#387192 03/04/08 11:38 PM
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Is anyone else keeping up with the Biggest Loser show on TV? Right now the Loser Couples show is being aired, a two hour program each week. I watch it while walking on the treadmill. It's very motivating to workout while "losers" do.

Who are you all rooting for?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I am inspired by the transformations the losers achieve, too. I also appreciate that the show makes it clear that there were no magic pills; those people worked HARD and learned to eat right, and it took time and total commitment to get where they are now. But the before and after differences are so amazing!
I can't wait for the last episode where they bring back all of the eliminated contestants and we can see how well they did on their own.
(I don't have a treadmill, but keep a set of 8 lb. weights by the couch, so I can get up and exercise during the ads.)

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I'm afraid I haven't ever watched this show! I really should watch it at least once I imagine smile But anything that encourages people to exercise and eat right is good in my book!

I know what you mean about exercising while watching something like that, Jilly. I love riding my bike while watching Iron Men competitions, I think if they can pull busses, I can certainly pedal a few more minutes!!

And when I'm downstairs on the bowflex doing my ten-reps-of-100 I always think of myself on a stage with the opponent guy just having done 9 reps and I have to get to 10 reps to win smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I am excited to see the contestants from home too and see how well they have done. Sometimes they even do better than the people at the ranch, which is cool. smile

Of the people still at the Ranch I think Roger has the best chance of winning. He also has a lot of integrity, which i like to see.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Yeah lisa, the Loser theme song is awesome to work out too, it really grips me as the show begins, and i feel myself tearing up...."What have you done today to make you feel proud...."

it gets me in the total mood to give it my all. if they can do it. i can do it. this show literally saves people's lives.

Last edited by Jilly; 03/05/08 05:37 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I don't even know when it's on TV, let's see ...

OK apparently it's on Mondays here. I'll try to remember! Mondays at 10am. Then Tuesday at 8pm

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I watch it on Tuesday pm. It's two hours.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Well I missed the Monday am show even though I *did* wake up at 10am and kept thinking "there is a reason I wanted to be awake at this hour" and I never could remember it until I saw this thread smile

But I'll try to remember tomorrow night to watch it!! I think Mon AM was a "loser" show and the Tue PM was a "couples" show or something like that.

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Reminder - Biggest Loser is on tonite. It's the first ep since they split up the couples. My guess is Brittney will be below the yellow line, and then either Kelly or Jay.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
OH!! I missed it, a friend of mine invited me out to dinner. She's a tupperware rep and she has these great "berry saver" containers that keep my raspberries from going bad. Raspberries are so good for you that I am really thrilled to find something that will help keep them fresh. I should have set the darn recorder!!

I'm even looking on YouTube and am not seeing them ...

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
huh, it was a good one. They brought back to top man and woman who were voted off previously. It kinda shook things up. Interesting and very inspiring to see what people could accomplish at home, without having the benefit of a trainer and everything at the Ranch. So it's doubly inspiring for those of us on our BL program!

Zebra
Zebra
This is the first season I've watched BL. I like the show, but the pregnant pauses during the weigh-ins and the commercial breaks are insane! It is so drawn-out. And, tonight, there were a zillion weigh-ins.

I'm pretty sure the entire show is only like 40 minutes if you take out the before/after commercial repetition, the ding-dong pauses while the scale bounces around calculating their weight and the go-zillion commercials.

Yeah, I need TiVo!

M
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
M
WE LOVE Biggest loser! It is so motivating to us. we watch it every week. I totally agree with all the pauses and commercials, thank goodness we have DVR so we just FF through all that. I get totally wrapped up in the people and have very strong opinions about who should stay, go, and evrything else. My husband just laughs at me as I get all worked up over it.Anyway, it's a great reminder of what it really takes to get healthy.

Marci Ann Peterson
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Marci, who do you want to stay and go?

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
OK I'll get Bob to set up the recorder today so we record them all going forward, that way I don't miss it again!

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
It's neat that the biggest loser of the week was a girl, and one who got sent home too!

See, we can do this!!!!

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
OK I had completely forgotten to have Bob set the recorder until I saw this. I just sent him an email (he's out playing darts) so it is written down now smile

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Is anyone else watching this? just curious. It's on tomorrow night. smile

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Bob confirms that we have the recorder set, so we will see our first episode tomorrow night! I realize it's like coming into American Idol at the end but still it's a start smile

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
i think it's the 11th or 12th week. I lost track. they already look great. Not thin yet but barely "fat." It's so cool. smile And some of them started at 300-400 pounds. smile

i can't get over how great some of them look. handsome and pretty.

Last edited by Jilly; 03/18/08 03:05 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I think it would have been more powerful if we saw it from the beginning to see their starting shapes and to wonder what they would look like if they did lose the weight. So we'll try to watch the next season from the beginning! But we will watch the recording tonight when he gets back from darts smile

Low Carb Forum
Zebra
Zebra
Isn't tonight when they get makeovers?

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
yes they get makeovers! the BEST part!

also, lisa, you do get lots and lots of flashbacks to how they looked at first as each episode goes.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
OK we saw it. I think it would have made more sense if we watched from the beginning and understood the teams and relationships and such, but it was still interesting to watch. I wish they showed more about what they ate and their exercises. Instead of little snippets of "people drink mystery beverage" I think as they weigh someone they should have a sidebar with their exercise for the week and menu for the week so we got a sense of what they did to get that 3 pounds or 10 pounds or whatever.

Also the one-a-day product placement was a bit extreme smile

That being said, I did have tears when the made-over contestants were on the runway and suddenly saw their spouse and were crying smile It was very impressive that they have made so much progress.

And I was really tempted to have low carb ice cream while watching, but I had yogurt instead (which is really yummy so it really wasn't a "sacrifice") and I'm back down 2 pounds today!! So maybe it did help smile

So we do have this set to record each week and I think we'll keep watching it.

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
This was a GREAT episode!!! My favorite yet. But then I have been watching all season. I definitely cried quite a lot in this one. I was sad for Maggie.I mean, it's really down to the end with this group. It's sad to see them have to leave.

And I totally cried with the makeovers, with them seeing their loved ones. I was so happy for them - they looked beautiful. Even the men.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Yes it is really impressive how they look. I just have to say the "musician" reminds me so much of the ex-boyfriend of my sister who I REALLY did not like so it's hard to feel encouraging about him though smile

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
The walking backwards treadmill over the pool thing was pretty wild too. Mark and Ali really hung in there.

It would be such a landmark if a girl won the biggest loser this time. Ali just has to stay above the yellow line. I hope she and Kelly can stay on the show for as long as possible.

My guess is Jay will not make the final three, and neither will poor Kelly. It will be down to Dan, Ali and Roger, probably, as Jay and Mark never really pull big numbers.

Last edited by Jilly; 03/22/08 01:23 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Their legs must have been in agony by the end of that!!

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Does anyone think a girl will ever win? Or is the situation stacked against women as a rule?

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I don't think that the situation is stacked against them, maybe it's a semantics thing. But I think the situation is extremely fair. But I think in general that women don't gain as much weight as men do for all sorts of reasons - women tend to be more image-conscious, men tend to be taller so they can carry more weight, women tend to have support networks that are more likely to help them stay active etc. etc. So if anything I think men tend to be more in need of help. If I had to guess about total weight averages in the US I think men will always have higher total weight averages. I don't think that's a matter of "fair" or "unfair", it's just the way things all work out.

I guess I don't think winning is that important in the end smile I think they have had life changing experiences and that is far more important than any money they could get or not get.

But to answer the actual question you asked, I do think eventually a super-determined female will get on the show who will push herself enough to win.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Also I suppose they could run across a "super-obese" woman who has enough to lose that she falls into the male category in that sense.

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Biggest Loser is on tonite!!!

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Yes it is taped - I'm working on my taxes so I'll go watch it once I get even half way caught up - I am SO behind on everything ...

Low Carb Forum
M
M
Hello everyone! I absolutely love the Biggest Loser!!! I never miss a week. Jilly, what did you think about last night? I was very sad to see Dan go home. I love the blue team. I think it is so sweet how close they are.

I am hoping that Roger wins it all.

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I was SO glad that the remaining 2 women went to the top of the heap this week. That Allie is amazing! I'm happy that she had the chance to come back.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Yes I was extremely happy that the two women came out on top. I've only seen these last two episodes so I missed all of the team building and such - but it seems a shame that the women are being beaten on smile

Low Carb Forum
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Its a sad side effect of our genetic makeup that women have a harder time losing weight than men. The theory is that millenia ago when humans were scratching a living off the land the women who could hold onto fat through times of famine were the ones who produced more children, and they passed those fat storing genes along to us, their lucky (?) distant descendants. So when we try to cut back on food our bodies go into automatic fat-storage mode, and we have to work all the harder to lose it.
Thats why I admire Allie and Kelly so much, they are going against the odds and winning!

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I loved the episode Marvin's Mom! I was actually hoping that for once two guys would be below the yellow line. And POOF my wish was granted! smile

And not only that, but those too girls were on TOP of the list. I was jumping up and down for joy and exchanging high fives with my mother. Ali and Kelly (and Jillian) worked so hard for it. I have actually taken to calling Kelly "scrapper" since every week she seems to just hang in there by her fingernails...yet, she is still there, when so many others are not. She looks good - Kelly has a waist now and her face is becoming pretty.

I am so proud of her and Ali. It's my hope that at least Ali, who is doing incredible - can make it to the final three. It would be nice if they made it along with Roger to the finals(Roger is NEVER going to be below the yellow line).

I was sad to see Dan go but at at this point i will be sad for any of them to leave. They have all been through so much. I knew Dan would be leaving as soon as I saw his one pound on the scale. Between him and Mark, there was NO WAY Jay or Roger would have voted against Mark. And Dan knew that. The boys loved him but he was still the outsider when it comes to those three.

And the girls voted against Dan b/c he is frankly the bigger threat. Mark never loses more than 3-5 pounds anymore.

It was also a little bit of poetic irony after what Dan did to Kelly with the cake. That came back to bite him.

The whole thing with the guys humiliating the girls in the arena junk food challenge only served to make Ali join up with Kelly. She was totally neutral until that point.

Would you guys have taken the 10k or the one pound pass, faced with Jay's choice?

B
B
I haven't watched very closely. I need a DVR that will record more than 2 shows LOL!

As you know Roger is from Alabama and was a former University of Alabama football player. I try to keep up with how he is doing.

W
Shark
Shark
W
I'm not much into reality tv or tv in general, but I've become a fan of this show. Someone did an interview with an ex-loser who said that they actually get weighed in several times a day.

It is tough being female, I've tried to lose weight for years, I need a Jillian trainer.

WestCoastDenise
West Coast Travel Site & Forum

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Denise - I was wondering about that. I figured they didn't allow them to get weighed until the "actual weigh in". If they are really weighing multiple times a day then how come it is always such a big shock near the end what their final weight was? Heck I would weigh myself 1/2 hr before the official weigh in so I was really prepared for it smile

Belle - it does sound like you need to upgrade!! We didn't have a DVR until quite recently but now we are hooked on it. I love fast forwarding through commercials. It is AMAZING how many commercials they have not only on that show but in the middle of them. I have to say that mid-show commercials (the "everyone should buy Orville Popcorn because it is so tasty!" stuff) really bugs me.

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, we should make a BL Product Placement Drinking Game. heeheehee

B
B
Originally Posted By: Lisa Low Carb Ed
Belle - it does sound like you need to upgrade!! We didn't have a DVR until quite recently but now we are hooked on it. I love fast forwarding through commercials. It is AMAZING how many commercials they have not only on that show but in the middle of them. I have to say that mid-show commercials (the "everyone should buy Orville Popcorn because it is so tasty!" stuff) really bugs me.

I hate the commercials too. They are so annoying. How many shows can you record at one time?

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
BelleAl, DVRs can record two shows at once but you cannot be watching a third.

I like Roger too! My husband played high school football in Alabama. Not the same but still... smile

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Yes ours can hold I think about 20 shows, so it's good to have it just sit there collecting shows and then we only watch them in DVR form - no commercials. It's amazing how much time you save ...

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Here's a fun question: Would people rather have Jillian or Bob as their trainer???

M
M
Jilly, I think I may have taken the $10,000. I don't really think Jay has a chance of winning the whole thing.

I can't wait for the final episode!!! I love to see what everyone looks like. On the other hand, I hate it because then I know it is over.

W
Shark
Shark
W
Lisa-In regards to weighing in at different times of the day, supposedly they aren't shown the weight.

here is a quote from Bernie off the web:
"Do you do a pre weigh in?
Yes, the morning of the weigh in, we are weighed on a precise scale. When you wake up you get the most accurate, clearest weight. Our weigh-in was not shared with us or anyone.?"

There was another interview (one of the women) that said they get 3 weigh ins, in the am and 1-2 other times.

Notice their shocked expressions just before the commercial, and then it isn't always the same after the commercial. I'm wondering if the expressions are filmed at different times. They need to create drama for the viewers, I think.

I like the show. It's quite inspiring.

WestCoastDenise
West Coast Travel Site & Forum

Shark
Shark
I'd rather have Jillian - she's hardcore and I think you'd get the optimal experience with her. Bob's too soft....which is why Jillian's teams have always kicked his butt until this season when he had the deck totally stacked in his favor.

Mother always said that even when things seem bad there's someone else who's having a worse day. Like being stung by a bee or getting a splinter or being chained to the wall in someone's sex dungeon.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
You know I was thinking the opposite Sofie - that Jillian did that "I'll make her not do well this week and she'll do great next week" think last week which got someone kicked out. I'm very much of the world series point of view - you have to win the game in front of you and *then* worry about the next game. So her whole mentality of "not do great this week for long term goal" ended up causing that girl to lose the game ...

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa you have to understand that Jillian did everything she could for Brittney and nothing was working. Brittney was going to be under the line no matter what. She had been 2-3 pounds each week for a very long time. frown

Jillian made a long shot gamble and if people had voted Jay off, like it would have made a lot more sense to do, then Brittney might have really rebounded the following week. I think it was the right choice. Remember, the onyl reason Brittney didn't go home earlier was the bernie gave her the immunity that ended up sending HIM home.

Anyway, Jillian is awesome and I believe she made a hard call that could well have worked out. There was no reason to vote Brittney home - she was no threat to anyone. Jay was the actual threat of the two. For Ali and Dan to vote Brit off made no sense...and as we saw later, this bit them both in the butt in subsequent weeks. frown

Last edited by Jilly; 03/29/08 01:19 PM.
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Marvin's Mom, I agree. In Jay's case, I don't think he will be able to beat Roger, so it would have made more sense to take the 10k if you are going home anyway.

But on the other hand...if your goal is to stay as long as possible to get everything from the ranch you can, the the one pound pass is the right thing by far! smile

So i think it's case by case. For Jay, he can actually go home now and be just fine. He's already very fit and probably only has 15-20 MAX left to lose. Mark is pretty much done - if he drops more weight he will be looking haggard. he has already achieved his goal of weighing less than Bob. smile

So I think the one pound pass would be better for these people:

Dan (but too late now)- a lot of pounds left to lose
Ali - I want to see a girl stay in as long as possible and maybe win for once
Kelly - she has a lot of pounds she can still lose, and every pound counts with that scrappy girl to keep her in the game

Who would be better with the money -
Roger, who will never be below the yellow line
Mark and Jay, who will not be able to beat Roger.

Anyway, so that is my thought.

If it was me? I probably would, like you, have taken the one pound pass to stay in the game as long as possible. smile

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Sofie, i agree; I 'd take Jillian in a heartbeat. She is a powerhouse combo of hardcore and loving. She really comes to care for the people in her charge. You could see she was devastated when Bob got to rearrange the teams to his liking (and picked all the heavy men, which annoyed me to no end).

I also love how Jillian brought in her mother, the psychologist, to get everyone to start realizing their emotional basis for becoming obese. it was so powerful. For example. You realized where poor paul was coming from with his terrible father who would beat him with a strap, and how paul would just take it to spare his younger siblings. And how food became a comfort and also a way to soften the physical blows by adding layers of fat. paul came to see he could let go of it after all this time and move on.

You could see them all come face to face with their past situations as Jillian realized they needed this to be able to KEEP the weight off after they leave the ranch.

Basically the producers gave Jillian an underdog team halfway though the season, and she has done phenomenal to keep them in the game.

I don't have a problem with Bob - i liked the yoga session he gave his team at one point - but he is more distant/less passionate with his individuals. i don't think I would respond well to that.

There has got to be a reason Jillian's teams always win, season after season. smile

Last edited by Jilly; 03/29/08 01:43 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Well when I was down dancing yesterday, usually what I do is end with the easier songs to wind down. But this time I convinced myself I had Jillian there yelling at me and I killed myself with a final set of hard songs. So either that burned off a few more calories, or it damaged my leg muscles wink

I missed the yoga episode! I'd go with yoga dude smile

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Here is an exit internview from Brittney about Jillian: smile

What will you miss most about the ranch?

First and foremost, I will miss Jillian. She changed my life forever. That is why I was sobbing by myself as I was packing last night. I am going to miss seeing her face in the morning. She is such a different person than what you see on TV. She really does care. I love her so much!

What are some of the most important tips the trainers gave you?

Jillian has given me so many tips it's ridiculous. She is so intelligent. She has broken down what is going on with my body. If it weren't for her, I would have never figured out how I lost the weight. She taught me how to curb my emotional eating. She taught me how to walk away from a stressful situation and re-evaluate what I am putting in my body.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
That is so wonderful! It is great that they are really learning the "whys" of why they gained weight, so they can break that chain going forward. We really need those sorts of mentors available for all people. Sort of like going to a doctor - but a doctor of your soul, rather than one who just looks at your height and weight ...

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
ooo - i love that! Doctor of the Soul.

That is kinda what we are doing here, isn't it?

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Yes we are a soul community smile We help to encourage people to reach for a better life!

I definitely am in far better shape than when we began this all. I was just downstairs dancing for an hour and back when I began the "in the navy" song would absolutely *kill* me. Now this time I did it three times back-to-back and finally got a perfect score on it smile That is a huge change!!

Jeanne would love one of the DDR games, it has The Reflex by Duran Duran in it smile

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
TBL is on tonite!!!!!

Who goes home next? My guess is Mark. He really has no more weight to lose.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Oh I forgot completely!! But luckily our digital recorder is set to grab it. I'll go watch it when Bob gets home!

Low Carb Forum
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Oh no! Jay sacrificed himself!
At this point, they have all bonded so tightly it seems that nobody is playing the politics of the game any more, they all want each other to stay. Have you ever seen so many tears? And from the men especially? I have to admit, there were some flowing in my living room too!

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I was crying too, but then i cry with this show every week. I LOVED how Mark asked Ali to carry him over the finish line. That was so selfless and beautiful. I can't believe this is the same asshat/blowhard/jerk he was 13 weeks ago. He has really grown as a man and an individual. He is now the man he always wanted to be.

I was glad the girls both stayed above the line, and was not bothered that both the brothers were below it. They were a power block, voting wise, and now the playing field is level.

I would be thrilled if Mark left next week (much as I love him) and if we had two girls and Roger as the finalists. Two girls in the final three has NEVER happened and we might well get a girl biggest loser for once.

Kelly still has some weight left to lose, which is good as it keeps her in the running. Her metabolism is a little sluggish but my gods does that girl work hard!!! I am really rooting for her. I was so proud of her with the triathlon. She did a fantastic job keeping ahead of Roger as long as she did, and was really not much behind him at the end. Those stairs were insane. How many of us could have done that race and still had that energy spurt she had at the finish line? smile

Ali has an incredible metabolism. She really doesn't have any more weight to lose, but she could just get really tiny and take the whole thing. I would be thrilled if she won.

Roger is the obvious winner b/c he always put up good numbers and still has a lot of weight left to lose.

Mark doesn't have any weight left to lose and doesn't put up good numbers anymore. So I think he will go home next week.

I was annoyed at mark's wife on his phone call - getting on his back about the crying. I think she should realize how cathartic and life changing this has been for her husband. Only a real man can cry in public. I didn't think that was very loving of her. frown

I enjoyed seeing Bob have another yoga session. That was a lovely spot for it. I am going to have to do stuff like that!

Jillian is being forced to be a real maniac to her girls to keep them in the game. But it's at least working and the girls understand this is what Jillian has to do for their own sakes.

Last edited by Jilly; 04/02/08 01:40 PM.
Shark
Shark
I'm rooting for Ali to take the whole thing - that girl's a machine!! And I hope Kelly is like that blonde lady last season (Julie?) who struggled to lose during the show but then came back big for the finale...my theory is that because she was a little older that her metabolism just took longer to get really fired up. Kelly has lost a tremendous amount of weight but she's got quite a bit left to go so I'm hoping she comes back lean and svelte for the finale.

Mother always said that even when things seem bad there's someone else who's having a worse day. Like being stung by a bee or getting a splinter or being chained to the wall in someone's sex dungeon.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Yes I was annoyed with the wife too, telling him to be a man and not cry. What kind of an attitude is that???

We loved how they cut between the zen quiet of yoga and the screaming maniacs on the beach smile

I was telling Bob that too - that there's no way I could have made the swimming part of that course, never mind the rest of it.

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Sofie, those are good thoughts. Ali could take it and Kelly could just come back very thin and with lots of confidence. that would be great.

Honestly i want to see Kelly just stick in there as long as possible.

What do you think of the audience voting for the next contestant off?

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, that is really hilarious; i loved seeing the cuts between the Zen quiet and the beach maniacs too.

It was too precious to see Jillian on that big black tire yelling PULL, YOU DOGS, PULL!

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
We were wondering that - they are going to have 4 people next time so they could be in a tie if they have "two below the yellow line". What are they going to do?

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, the next vote is going to be made by the viewers. :-)

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
OK but how does it work? Do we all call in during the show and say which one? Can we only vote for one of the two lowest?

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
we don't know yet. smile They have not done this before. it's a "twist."

My guess is we will vote on the NBC website between the two that are below the yellow line.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
ah ok interesting! We may have to actually watch it live next week then, rather than in our usual recorded state. It'll kill me though - there are SO many commercials in that show. You waste half the time waiting for the commercials to end!

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Yes, and then there are the commercials DURING the show. lol. But I don't mind them so much; everything they promote is still useful info in the sense that these are the products they are using to get fit.

As fat as I can see, they use Ziplock bags to cook things in the microwave, add seasonings to meat in a shake-and-bake fashion and portion out meals for traveling. They use Pam spray for cooking (no fats, no calories), drink their water from Nalgene bottles, eat popcorn and sugar free Extra gum as snacks, take One A Day vitamins and eat veggie Subway sandwiches. And that's fine. If i was following their program I'd be glad for the info, even if it's obviously add placements.

It would annoy me if the placements were for random things that were not helpful for weight loss, like if they promoted using WD-40 to clean their gym equipment, or using Dyson vacuums to suck up dirt and allergens from their rooms at the ranch. So I just take it for what it's worth.

Well, they *did* have the one product placement for Travelocity.com that wasn't very subtle, but I will let that one go! They used it to see the restaurant menu at their destination in Australia, so I will concede it can help someone stay on their diet when they travel.

Last edited by Jilly; 04/06/08 03:31 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I did actually read a report on their site about the bottles - apparently they used to use bottled water "on campus" and went through some phenomenal amount of bottles just for one season. Now they have completely converted to Brita water filters and have saved thousands of bottles. So to me that's a very good thing!

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
That's cool that they made that change - sets a great example. smile

Our water filter that you recommended came in, Lisa, so we are using up the rest of our bottled water and are looking forward to not wasting any more resources.

We also have Nalgene bottles to refill them with, just like at the ranch. smile I am a big fan of Nalgenes, as an outdoorsy chick.

Last edited by Jilly; 04/07/08 02:01 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
That's so great - let us know how it works out! We use ours constantly smile

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Biggest Loser is on tonite!!!!

This is the one where the watchers - us - gets to decide who goes home. So if people are looking forward to seeing two girls and a guy in the final three (which has NEVER happened), make sure to be involved in this episode. smile

Yayayayayayay! smile

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
WOW! last night's ep was incredible! I am so happy, thrilled, excited, pleased for and proud of those two girls. I loved seeing Jillian fall to the ground in shock and joy after Kelly weighed in. I was crying, of course.

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Wasn't that weigh-in amazing? I couldn't believe the numbers they all pulled, or that both women ended up above the line!
I have voted for Roger to stay, he is a sweetie and even though he will give the women more competition, I couldn't vote him off.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Right, people have to go vote!

here is the link:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Here also is Jillian's recap, very interesting:

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
We finally watched it so I can read this thread!! Yes it was SO impressive that both women did so well. When we saw the men weighing in I was amazed they had lost over 10 pounds each in a single week, I thought there was NO way the women could do that. And then Ali got below my weight!!!

That was just amazing. It's like, if SHE can lose over 10 pounds in just one week, I should be able to, right? Not that it is easy of course - but it means all of us have that capability within us if we really did want to work that hard at it.

It did seem unfair to "lessen" their victory like that by telling them they didn't get to vote. They were all so thrilled and psyched at winning, and then they seemed really let down ...

Low Carb Forum
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I don't know, I thought they seemed relieved that they didn't have to make that awful choice.
So which guy will you vote to keep?

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
It wasn't an awful choice though - both of them knew immediately who they wanted to get rid of! There was no question in their mind smile

I don't think I'm going to vote - I don't like companies having my phone number and such, and they require that for voting. I am very much anti-phone smile

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I agree on lots of things here. They did seem really let down about not being able to make their own vote, when they had so earned it. And Jillian seemed upset too. And Mark. So everyone but Roger and Bob were bummed. :-)

The girls and Jillian want Roger off, no question about that. If you read Jillian's recap, above, she comes...this close...to telling people who to vote for. lol. I bet she was showing a lot of restraint, for her. smile

I used an old phone number myself when i voted. it's none of their business what my cell number is and that's the only number I have. What if I didn't have a phone? So i'd say don't put in your number Lisa, but still try to vote. Maybe they will accept it with no number filled in at all.

And when I first saw the guys losing 15 and 12 pounds, I really thought it was all over for the girls. You could see in Kelly's eyes she thought she was out for sure. But then the girls beat them BOTH. I was screaming, literally, in my house. I was screaming and crying and Jillian sank to the ground in utter shock and relief.

It's been a very emotional season for them all and for us watching.

About how to lose ten pounds in one week, keep in mind they are working out daily for 6 hours. And eating a calorie-controlled diet high in healthy foods, with no junk at all. And it's all doctor supervised with, i hear, lots of blood tests and monitoring. So i would never recommend anyone at home look to lose those amounts! For people at home i would count 1-2 pounds a week quite an achievement. smile

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Oh right definitely someone shouldn't randomly go out and try to lose 12 pounds on their own. That's a bit extreme! But if they can do 12 pounds in that situation, we can definitely lose 2 or 3 if we eat healthy and work out an hour or two a day. It means it's in the realm of "good possibility" smile

I think I mentioned that sometimes during my dancing I push myself harder on a song and imagine Jillian is there shouting me on smile

It's so great that the girls were able to do that "on their own" without her there - it is great for their future weight management!

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I love that you are hearing Jillian yell at you. I bet that would make Jillian very proud! smile

It really bodes well that everyone did so well on BL sans trainers. They have the info now to carry this on for the rest of their lives, one hopes. They can also probably hear Jillian yelling at them too. smile

Last edited by Jilly; 04/10/08 11:55 PM.
Zebra
Zebra
So, does anyone else hope Roger makes it to the finals instead of Mark?

I thought Roger was cute this week. And, I think he deserves to be there, but I'm betting Mark will beat him out.

I do hope Ali wins overall, though.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I don't really have a point of view about which guy makes it in - I do strongly feel that one of the women should win smile I do think it should be Ali but she is SO slim right now (less than me, I keep thinking!!) I can't see how she could lose more weight. I have to wonder if that's my internal prejudice talking.

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I am feeling very hopeful that Ali will be The One, as Jillian said (she's like Neo, lol). Her drive and metabolism seems to be the right combination. Poor Brittney had the drive but not the metabolism, for example. Ali obviously looks slender, buff and toned, with no weight left to lose...but she could just go underweight to win it, and then return to her perfect weight (which she seems to be at) after the finale.

(In contrast, i think mark is already underweight!)

I am in totally Kelly's court though. She DOES have the weight still to lose. Plus, this has been so amazing in the sense that no one thought she could do this. SHE never thought she could do it. Even Jillian said she thought Kelly would be gone by Week 2. I just have really grown to admire her hanging-in-there tenacity, and it's amazing to see how far this woman has come. She did GREAT in the triathlon.

I loved seeing them all wear their old "fat suits" and shed them off to go racing up the hillside with those flags to plant them on that point overlooking the boundless ocean. How powerful/symbolic is THAT!

I do think Ali can win this. I want to see Ali win. She makes me hope a woman, after 5 years, can actually do this. That it's NOT the largest guy in the house for once.

But I am so darned happy for Kelly, as the scrappy, overlooked underdog. Seeing her beat both the guys last week was just a stunning achievement. And I think a lot of viewers feel inspired - that if an older lady can stick this out so far and so long, so can we all. smile

Last edited by Jilly; 04/11/08 03:23 AM.
M
M
I really hope Roger makes it to the final three. I love him! I think he is so sweet.

I would be happy to see a woman win this season but I can't decide if I want Kelly or Ali to win.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I agree that Kelly is the one who seems like she has weight left to lose - that it seems more likely that she could pull it off in that sense ...

Is this one on Tuesday the "last show"? Or is there one after that?

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Nope, Tuesday is the last one for this group. :-)

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I guess I'll definitely try to see that one live! smile

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
It's too late to vote now, but here are Mark's insightful comments before the Final (while he is still at home):

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
oh, and cool, here is Jillian and the BL producer talking about the obvious/annoying product placements (which pretty much echo my apologist post earlier):

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I am currently away from home, in a cabin at a fairly remote campus, with no TV available. I'm going to miss the final episode!
Please somebody, post what happens, in excruciating detail if you can. I'd hate to miss the whole thing after all these weeks.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
OK Claybird we definitely will do that for you!! I'll try to keep really detailed notes on what goes on.

On the product placements, I really didn't mind the Brita one where they talked about having not used all those plastic water bottles. To me that's a hugely important environmental issue. So I really considered that a "good thing".

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Today is the FINALE of 08 Biggest Loser Couples!!!!!

We get to see everyone who worked out at home for the 100,000 dollar at-home BL prize, plus the Final Three who are competing for the On Campus BL prize of 250,000.

Also it will be nice to know exactly WHO is in the final three. wink Will it be Mark, or Roger?

And who from home do you think will win the ten grand? Dan? Curtis? Jay? Trent? I would guess those are the front runners, but it's really anyone's game. Could be Bernie too.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
How do they "win" the grand prize? Is it just whoever lost the most weight while at home?

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
They come in and weigh in on the big scale, same as every week. smile

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Yup I'm watching it now!! smile

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Well it's incredible that two women were in the finale and that a woman WON! Way to go, Ali. smile

I always admired what Kelly for what she went through and how she overcame her self esteem issues. And she is now a size six!

Here is article talking about how when Kelly went home, 6 weeks before the finale, how Julie (runner up from last season) invited kelly into her home to work out with her and her trainer. It's pretty neat:

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
That is so cool and I definitely am inspired by the "now help others" attitude. That is such a wonderful way to live smile

Low Carb Forum
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
yeah, it kinda gives me goosebumps.

I have read a lot of blog posts where the Common Woman is very inspired by Kelly - that you don't have to be a young, spunky, driven female to do get fit. smile

I also remember how neat it was that a random woman in Australia helped Kelly stay with the triathlon during the running section. A little help from a kind person can go a long way. Kelly actually stayed in front of Roger all the way til partway up the stairs!

It's just so neat that Julie had Kelly live with her to 'pass it on.'

Last edited by Jilly; 04/16/08 08:31 PM.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  Lisa LowCarb 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/27/24 08:14 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.