Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#349294 10/23/07 10:30 AM
K
OP Offline
K
Just found out I got type 2 diabetes ,looking for a natural supplement.Any ideas or suggestion I need help fast.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
frown My Husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes two years ago..The doctor put him on Avandia (a very dangerous drug) and Metformin..It dropped his blood sugar way down..too far down..I worried that he might go into a coma he slept a lot no energy at all. Then he changed doctors and the Avandia was dropped. Now he is just on Metformin..but he also takes 1 tsp of cinnamon a day..you can buy the capsules (500 mg) at WalMart..It's wonderful and natural..and it works !!
Also, exercise will lower blood sugar really quickly..Don't over do it..Walking is fine..
His diet has done a 360..No more goodies..He eats lots of salads..and veggies and fresh fruit..Also he eats very little red meat and no white bread, just whole wheat..Mostly he eats chicken or fish..And he drinks Water..
I think we have this under control..for now at least..He went into denial for a while..but he's come to grips with it..He also has lost about 20 lbs..and that's a plus..We don't eat 3 huge meals a day now either..He grazes, little meals all day long to keep his blood sugar level..
This is a everyday struggle..Good Luck

shootingstar123

When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are, anything your heart desires will come to you.
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I have just been diagnosed as well with Type 2. I am taking metformin and my doc says it is ok to take cinnamon with it. She wants me to try to put it in food every day some how because you don't need a whole lot to lower the blood sugar. I have found I can't eat pasta or any breads without my sugar going real high. It doesn't get as high as with wheat pasta and bread though. We had a good conversation in this threadBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
Parakeet
Parakeet
I put cinnamon it in anything that has tomato sauce in it..Like chili or spaghetti. My husband is a hound-dog when it comes to any strange flavor in his food..He can spot a unfamiliar taste at the drop of a hat..(Like a little picky kid) AARGG !!..I even use it in barbecues..He doesn't know the difference !! It's good on Oatmeal too with Splenda (of course). It's even good in Mexican food..The possibilities are endless. I had to learn to cook all over again..It's a whole different world..It seems to be working, so that's all that counts. Diabetes runs in his family, but he never thought he'd be a victim. Bless his heart, he went into denial..he refused to believe it was happening to him.. This is like a bad dream that will never end... frown

shootingstar123

When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are, anything your heart desires will come to you.
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Does the sugars from fresh fruit hurt? I would stay away from Splenda or any other sugar substitutes there is so much bad news about there side effects

Rosie L
M
M
Jeanette, I have had type II for about 15 years. I have taken metformin, avandia and several other drugs. My sugars have been out of control for quite awhile now. I was taking the maximum dose of metformin you can have. I decided to try eating low carb...limiting my carbs to 30 a day (approx. 10 per meal). It's important not to have all 30 carbs at once. I woke up about a month ago and my sugar was 201!! I had not eaten anything at all. I took my metformin, waited an hour and check my sugar level again and it was still 196! I shouldn't have but I took another metformin (850mg) to try to get my sugar level down. This was on a Sunday. I started the low carb on Monday. When I started the low carb I was taking 3-850 mg. of metformin per day along with 2 additional pills for sugar control (can't remember the name of them). The very first day my sugar level were within normal range! Everyday my sugar levels kept dropping...in fact they were getting to low so I went to see my Dr. I was not taking ANYTHING

V
Amoeba
Amoeba
V
Low-carb, low-fat diets do not work, and splenda does have bad side effects. Your body needs fats,(the right kind like what is found in avocados and olives), carbs, fiber, and protein in the right combinations and quantities. Chemical additives and the wrong foods (like highly processed foods and empty calories) are causing your body to turn on itself.

A natural whole food diet rich in whole, fresh fruits and vegetables combined with lots of fiber to slow down carbs turning to sugar in your blood is best.

Dr. Mark Hyman's Ultra-Metabolism Book is the best I've seen on whole body health. It comes complete with foods to avoid, foods to eat, menus, recipes, and explanations. This diet will work for diabetes, food allergies, and to lose weight. While I say diet, it is more of a life-style change. While I had to adjust shopping for food and cooking, it was well worth it.

My triglycerides level was 479 and I've been able to reduce it down to normal levels just through my diet in 2 months. I've not been hungry at all and I feel better than I have in 20 years!

Parakeet
Parakeet
He doesn't eat very much fruit..just a smidgen to help satisfy his sweet tooth..I agree that Splenda is questionable..but there aren't very many alternatives..I wish there were..
When the doctor had him on Avandia, his sugar would drop like a rock..So he would drink some Orange juice to bring it back up..So it was a battle up then down and back up again..Now he carries glucose tablets just in case..I think the thing that has helped him is loosing weight..It was the total change in his diet and the walking..I had to push him out the door..he had NO energy..He just laid around..Like I said before, he's much better now..His Blood sugar has stopped spiking and he has so more pep..Question..Is grouchiness one of the symptoms..?? I ask because he was a bear to get along with..He would bite you in a heartbeat..He's normally a good guy..but Yikes..!! eek

shootingstar123

M
M
I hit the submit button before I was done typing. AARRGG!!

My Dr. took me off of my 850 mg. of metformin 3 times a day but wrote me a new prescription for 500 mg. tablets to be taken twice a day IF I NEEDED IT.

There is so much more I had written...but don't have the time to finish now...just check eBay out and do a search for Protein Power...a wonderful book I swear by!

I am no longer taking high blood medications now either...this way of eating has lowered my blood pressure to normal levels too!

V
Amoeba
Amoeba
V
Try Agave Nectar for a sugar substitute. It comes from a plant in Mexico. They use it to make Tequila. You can get it in whole food stores like Wild Oats.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  C. Kimura 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.