logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Gecko
Gecko
Jase and Holly

Thanks for the support, it's nice to know that I am not alone LOL.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
T
T
The most fun thing to do is look at everything that is wrong (or what you consider wrong) with yourself, then start devising a plan on changing those aspects of your life =) Self-improvement is crucial in living a meaningful and happy life! Live for yourself, then live for others.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
easier said than done, for some of us.

Rosie L
H
Koala
Koala
H
Yes, and i think there is something important to be said for accepting and loving ourselves as we are.

The psychologist Carl Rogers said,

When I accept myself as I am, I change, and when I accept others as they are, they change."

I am always trying to improve myself, and i think probably most people who come to this forum are also trying to do that. I guess what i try to do, is to do both at the same time, and that's tricky.

It takes a sort of funny perspective. If i look at what i am doing now as "wrong," then i don't think i'm accepting myself very well. And sometimes i do feel that way. The past couple of weeks for instance, i have been focusing so much on how i feel i fall short of where i should be. This isn't helpful to changing. It's just another way of beating myself up.

What do you guys think? How do you encourage yourself to improve without feeling badly about how you are now?

B
Shark
Shark
B
Self improvement isn't about making ourselves feel bad about where we are. It's about taking who we are now and making ourselves even better. But it distresses me terribly to hear some of you are thinking there's anything "wrong" with you.

Everybody needs to start with the perspective that you're okay already, as in the book "I'm Okay, You're Okay" which not only teaches self-acceptance but acceptance of others as well.

Then think about what else you'd like to be in life or do with yourself, and add that.

I'd like to hear what types of self improvement goals you all have--what is it you'd like to work on? Oh, wait--I just noticed there's already a thread for that. See you there.

And I love you all just the way you are!
Barbara

Last edited by Barbara_Sloan; 10/15/07 11:40 PM.
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Hi, Barbara! I love your suggestion about starting with the book, "I'm okay, You're okay", then think about what else we want to do. It is good to remember that once in awhile! wink

Trish

H
Shark
Shark
H
Originally Posted By: schumi
when you're expert in some field,you work well,then how do you improve yourself?watch books?internet?learn from others?do something else that you don't know how to start?

Practice and more of that.

H
Koala
Koala
H
Originally Posted By: Barbara_Sloan
Self improvement isn't about making ourselves feel bad about where we are. It's about taking who we are now and making ourselves even better. But it distresses me terribly to hear some of you are thinking there's anything "wrong" with you.

Well, it gets a bit challenging at times, particularly when people you love are only pointing out your faults and not appreciating your efforts.

I know i "shouldn't" be bothered by such criticism, but when you love and respect a person a lot, their harsh words can be crushing, particularly when you've been trying to give your best. So what do you do when it's like this?

Elephant
Elephant
Holly. It is something to do with the brain and our fight or flight response. But when something bad happens (or a fault) the brain gets washed in a hormone and thats implanted into our memory core. This isn't the same for good things.

So it is easier to point out someones faults and the things they do wrong than to remember the good things.

So when someone remembers something good, take it as a blessing because they are rare.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
H
Koala
Koala
H
I don't know much about hormones or brain chemistry, but i do know that our thoughts can influence our bodies. I'm just looking for things i might do so i don't react so strongly, or can recover more quickly.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.