logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Gecko
Gecko
Speaking of high vet bills.... I spent the morning with the veterinary opthamologist for my 8 yr old bunny with glaucoma. The bill for this AM alone was $400 (including an ultrasound of the eye). His eye drops are going to be another $100. But otherwise he's healthy and happy (except when I give him the drops!). I can't imagine having to make a decision on his treatment if money was an issue.

What gets me are those parents who tell me I'm nuts for the money I spend on my bunnies (or my mouse, who had his tail amputated last week), but then turn around and break the bank to buy ipods, cell phones, computers, video games, etc. for little Jimmy.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
Happy birthday LSUTiger!

I think I've mentioned this before, but my cat was an off-the-street rescue, in other words, a stray. If I had a child to pay for and worry about, I couldn't have brought that cat into my home. She was only about 6 months old at the time and no one before me had taught her to sheath her claws when interacting with humans. (She'd had almost no training/socialization.) I also couldn't have paid for her medical care (including having her spayed).

She would have gone to the shelter. Instead, she's snoozing on a sunny spot on the living room floor, happy, healthy, and enjoying the peace and quiet of our home. The point is that my child-free status effectively saved her life. Riches would be nice, but I can settle for that.

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
A
Amoeba
Amoeba
A
"I wonder how many Moms are still paying theirs off, and aren't even using their education anymore?

I know I mentioned this book before, "Get to Work: Get a Life, Before it's Too Late." The author talks about the potential of scholarships for women being dropped if hoards of women keep retreating to the home after college. It makes sense, if you think about it. Why invest in someone that will be out of the work force in a few years?"

This is an excellent point - I think the way society is structured can make a difference. I live in Canada where new moms who have worked enough hours will get a year of money from the government (employment insurance - everyone pays a certain amount of their paycheque to it, and you can collect if unemployed and meet the right conditions), based on how much $$ they made, up to a certain cut-off. I do believe this is a good thing, since there are many health benefits to having mom able to choose to stay home for a year. But the really good thing is that the mom can then re-enter the work force after a year, when a baby is more independent and there won't be as much guilt about leaving him/her. So, we don't lose nearly as many women, but keep them as productive members of the workforce. I think in the US, where maternity leave is 6-8 weeks, a family is more likely to decide to have a parent (usually mother) stay home. I lived in Denmark for half a year and it's even more dramatic there - almost all moms return to the work force, and there is enough affordable daycare for everyone (Canada does not have that yet, at least in Ontario). A few moms do choose to stay home, but they are in the minority. I'm not sure if the maternity leave there is 1 year or 2.

In Canada it's also possible to have employment insurance (government money) if you are in a situation where you need to care for your spouse, elderly parents, etc. so it isn't only child-focused. I don't know as much about the conditions you have to meet for that but I know it's available.

It is a cost to society, as everyone (even those who plan to be CF) pay into the employment insurance - and it's available if you become unemployed and meet the criteria. However I do think it makes for a healthier society overall ... less costs down the line, such as losing skilled women workers.

Andie

Anyway, I'm probably getting off topic. But this is a pet peeve of mine. [/quote]

Gecko
Gecko
Originally Posted By: frieda7
TWe like to dream about buying a sailboat, and now we're toying with the idea of a teardrop trailer to take on roadtrips.

Why wait to retire (or till we're dead) to live our dreams?

Frieda!

Love those teardrop trailers! I've had my eye on one myself for YEARS! Would love to.

Glad you're doing well with your almost-CF status...

Elise

Meet CF couples and singles in your city!

Browse a list of CF Meetups on Meetup.com:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
L
Koala
Koala
L
Originally Posted By: Tbunny
What gets me are those parents who tell me I'm nuts for the money I spend on my bunnies (or my mouse, who had his tail amputated last week), but then turn around and break the bank to buy ipods, cell phones, computers, video games, etc. for little Jimmy.

I understand. I've needed emergency vet twice that did save my sugar glider's life. People look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them that. What else could I do? I'm not going to let one of my pets die!

My in-laws always make fun of me for taking my dog to the vet for every little thing. Their dog got really sick about a month and a half ago, and they called the vet, but never took him in. He was like a member of the family, too. He wasn't eating, he couldn't get off the floor, they were carrying him outside ... and they NEVER went to the vet!

He died last week suffering those same symptoms. Yes, he was 12, but he had been FINE with no problems except one tooth until 6 weeks ago.

Next time they make fun of me I have half a mind to say, "well, my dog's still alive, isn't he?" But I'm too nice.

Gecko
Gecko
Bring on the yacht, baby! WOOH HOOH!

I leave the child-rearing to people who feel called to it. I've never felt that call.
jmb Offline
Shark
Shark
Originally Posted By: frieda7
I'm sort of new on the CF circuit, since up until a few months ago we were trying to conceive. But we had misgivings, and now are no longer trying. We're not completely 100% decided, but the more I live with this decision the more I feel like it's right.

Frieda, I'm glad that you are starting to feel more at peace with your decisions, and that your quality of life has improved. I totally agree that it is better to live for the now. Yes, you still need to plan on saving and taking care of yourself in retirement, but since no one knows whether they will make it that far, or how their health will be, I say make sure that you have some fun now too - while you are young enough and healthy enough to do it.

Last edited by jmb; 06/14/07 12:03 PM.
F
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
F
Thanks jmb and Bonsai!

Yes, you're right, I need save for retirement. I tend get a little ahead of myself (the husband freaked out at me last night for getting too into this teardrop trailer idea and wasting time on Craigslist thinking about spending $5K we don't have. Shopping addiction gone awry.) Oh well..I can dream!

Perhaps my retirement will be getting that yacht and setting off into the ocean never to be seen again. But, I don't really want drown, so maybe not. Maybe I'll set off into the sunset in the tear drop trailer then.

S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
I do think it's important to remember that some CF live on one income and/or struggle to make ends meet. That said, I have never recovered from the shock of seeing the estimated price tag for one home-grown American kid (especially as compared with kids growing up in developing nations). Although I do see some of that cost as keeping up with the Joneses: the SUVs, the sports/dance/music/riding lessons, etc. Not that enrichment is a bad thing, it just seems like a lot of kids are overscheduled so young, and that has to get pricey.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.