Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#318265 05/30/07 09:20 AM
D
das Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
D
I have been deceived by many who looked very honest and true.
Afterwards I realized that they were different to what i had felt.
Any hints about early detection?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
das #318296 05/30/07 11:24 AM
P
Gecko
Gecko
P
Gee, that's a tough one Das.
I am a person who tends to see the best in people, until I learn otherwise. And the 'otherwise' happens a lot because I am not a good judge of character, and I frequently get burnt.

I remember a friend of mine who married what appeared to be a wonderful man. He was gentle, kind, thoughtful (too good to be true?) and I was shocked to learn a year later that he was a 'con-man' who was wanted by the police in two states. He 'took' my friend for $30,000 of her life savings!

I don't know how you 'detect' the ones who are not trustworthy. I suppose you could look more critically into what they say and how they behave.

My mother used to say "Trust no one until they have proved their worthiness of your trust, and even then, don't trust them with your secrets!"

I guess we can only give our best, and hope that those we associate with will do the same. Perhaps we should not place ALL our trust in anyone. I have learned the hard way that it is foolish to have expectations, because no one is perfect, and the only creatures I place all my trust in now, are my dogs!

Patience.

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.
John Adams

das #318309 05/30/07 01:11 PM
F
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
F
The key words to what you stated is that "they were different to what you had felt."

I don't usually go by how a person looks, but how a person makes me feel. I get a sense deep inside that tells me what I need to know about that person. It is instinct. We all have it. Some of us have it stronger than others. A person may look honest and true, but if my instinct tells me not to trust them, I go with my instinct and walk away.

FiddleDeeDee #318392 05/30/07 07:13 PM
H
Koala
Koala
H
It's hard to tell, das, without knowing more of the situation.

I've had a couple dear friends in my lifetime, who are gullible in some way, and easily used by those with weaker ethics, and they might be, for instance, often cheated on, or separated from their money. I have known a couple of women who are continually lied to in their love relationships, but i think they don't see that they help create the situations by being so shocked and upset by ordinary truth. Their men start lying to them about little things, to spare their feelings and avoid silly arguments, but then the habit grows because it's more convenient for them to deceive. The women change relationships, and the same thing happens, again and again... and the women start to believe that all men lie... but this isn't true.

I've also known some people who want so much to believe in others, that they make heroes out of people they don't know very well. But there is not a human being on the face of the earth that does not have character flaws... even heroes! Sometimes we just want people to be perfect.

I've also known many people... too many... who have been deeply hurt and then go through life distrusting so they can be safe from others. But there is a terrible price for this. Everyone is going to be taken in sometimes. No amount of precaution can protect anyone entirely. And too much distrust will close you off from good friends and healthy, loving relationships. It's important to trust... and trusting means believing without guarantee... being vulnerable. There are no great relationships without vulnerability. So there has to be a balance... reasonable precaution, but not constant vigilance... and where that lies for you, i don't know.

The degree to which these persons were unethical or disappointed you makes a difference to the answer, as does if you find yourself in repeating scenarios. Everyone is human. We forgive others for their failings so that we can be forgiven for ours. But there are some situations that are very serious in nature, abusive... and sometimes a person is not safe or healthy to be involved with because of the nature of their failings. Obviously these we wish to avoid.

hollyelise #318435 05/30/07 11:48 PM
D
das Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
D
Holly, can you judge any one by the posts made here? does the language tell you something?

das #318453 05/31/07 01:31 AM
H
Koala
Koala
H
Judge in what manner? Do you mean judge if they are safe? Judge if they are representing themselves truthfully? Or just in the matter of hypocrisy?

hollyelise #318488 05/31/07 08:21 AM
Zebra
Zebra
I don't think a judgement of a person for themselves is possible, because we don't ever meet a person on a forum, in the flesh (or if we do, it's quite rare....)
I think the only way you can make an effective appraisal of a person is to see whether they make sense in what they say, whether they talk kindly or rudely, and whether they are consistent in their "appearance"...That is to say, do they say one thing in one place, and another thing on another forum/thread, or are they quite consistent with their opinions and views?

You might not always agree with what they say, nor might you like the content, but everyone has a right to post and state their case, just as you have a right to accept or reject what they put forward.
But if their posts are sincere, well-intentioned and considerate, then we simply have to decide whether we agree, and trust, or whether we disagree.

I have found for myself that sometimes, if I have read something i'm not quite sure of, I feel more able to make a valued assessment if I just read and re-read their posts, and take a step back.
For example, a poster on another thread has actually put it to me that Buddhism is brainwashing, and I think this was an extremely valuable and debatable point of view, one to which I gave quite bit of thought and consideration before responding.
My initial reaction was quite defensive, but then I realised I was taking her comments too personally, and there might have been something in what she said. To an extent, she had a point, but this was more in isolated instances, rather than as an accurate statement and general concensus.....But it was most thought-provoking and interesting.

Nobody on here, to my mind and in my opinion, ever takes the subjects we discuss either lightly or disrespectfully.

(Disregarding spammers, flamers and trolls....!) laugh

I think this forum is very special for that.

Hope this helps, Das.
Nice question. smile

hollyelise #318493 05/31/07 08:33 AM
D
das Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
D
Originally Posted By: hollyelise
Judge in what manner? Do you mean judge if they are safe? Judge if they are representing themselves truthfully? Or just in the matter of hypocrisy?

Yes.

Judge if they are representing themselves truthfully?

das #318499 05/31/07 08:46 AM
D
das Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
D
Alexandra, your post answers many imp. points.
My question is little different.
When you meet a person, you have visual contact.
You can feel the emotions and the sound.
Here you have words.
It is like receiving many letters from someone and then judging the character.

On this forum, I have found that somebody always acts as if she knows everything.
I am not naming. It may well be me.

Now, that lady acts as if she is here to tell others about what to do and how to behave and so on, as if she is taking a class of primary school students, what does it tell you about that person?

That person may be suffering from inferiority complex and needs to assert herself at every point. I hope you get me.

When I read posts by Holly and patience, they tell me that these two people do not treat themselves as perfect at all. They are here to share and help and get help in return. I love them because of that transparency. They are cute. That behave like human.

Some others like Hope, Joan and others are also cute.

Texas dave has no deceptions. He comes and he bombards and acts like a bull in china shop.

I did some business with Americans and succeeded very well. I found that instead of using any formal language talk to them with heart. We have never met. But we love each other and have full faith. Words full of emotions did that. Words that were transparent did that. Words reflected the character of both sides.

Words have tremendous power and they may give away a person. Can we discuss more?

das #318500 05/31/07 08:49 AM
D
das Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
D
Alexandra, about you if you permit.

I have many observations but I will make one now.

Are you not fanatic about Buddhism?
Can you take real vicious criticism of Buddhism calmly?
You may say yes, but I think you will not.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/08/24 09:46 PM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.