Originally Posted By: affettuoso
"Motivation for what things, AF? What would you like to be doing?"

Well Holly, I'd like to get a job with children. I've taught painting privately, but would like to do it on a professional level. But I guess I'd have to do a course in teaching to do that in a school. Perhaps I should go back to college and get some more qualifications. Being a receptionist/secretary for a doctor is good, but it would be nice to have a change.

On a personal level, I'd like to improve my self esteem and self confidence. I think getting more qualifications might help me to attain that.

AF.

I think that is a great plan: to teach art professionally! And now would be a good time to make the switch. Because of teacher shortages, there are better scholarships and excellerated programs to help people get into the field of teaching more easily. They've even offered better scheduling, to suit those who are working. I had a neighbor who is an artist, and when she got divorced, she when back to college to qualify (and she's in her mid 50's at least). Grants and loans covered all her expenses, and even though she was in a three year program, they have changed the laws in this state and she could begin teaching after one year of school, so long as she remains enrolled to finish her degree. She is now teaching art in public schools.

I've decided to go back to college, and to get used to it (so it isn't so scary)... i thought i'd start with just one course this fall. How about you? Could you sign up for one class this fall? Community Colleges are pretty cheap to get started, and you could begin with one class before applying to a college formally.

I think more qualifications will help you feel more self esteem, but i remember how some women, even though too thin, think themselves fat. Our view of ourselves can be distorted, so i think we also have to work on how we view ourselves. I'm using the visualization to help me with confidence. If i have something i need to do and i feel nervous about it, i will visualize myself doing it confidently and not feeling self-conscious.

I also thought of something to do with self-esteem, but i've been forgetting to do it, and you just reminded me. The "thinking of three things to look forward to" each day worked so well for me to improve my happiness, that i thought i could use something like that for self esteem. The plan was to at the end of the day, think of 3 ways i am a valuable person, or 3 things about myself to feel good about. Should i start another thread and we can give it a try? I think if you and others would do it with me, i'd be more likely to do it. I will do that. Look for "The Swelled Head" thread. laugh Or should we call it something else? ...i think i'll wait until i hear suggestions from people for the name of the thread.