BellaOnline
Posted By: ExerciseEditor dessert ideas for condensed milk - 11/23/10 10:16 PM
I have two cans of condensed milk left over from baking key lime pies. Anybody know what other recipes use this ingredient?
Posted By: Linda19 Re: dessert ideas for condensed milk - 11/23/10 10:35 PM
Bannoffee Pie, you have to boil the cans of condensed milk in water to get a thick consistency to make the 'offee' in the pie.
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: dessert ideas for condensed milk - 11/29/10 04:07 PM
Sounds yum! I will check that out!
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: dessert ideas for condensed milk - 11/29/10 06:03 PM
I've been making a similar pie for years, only we call it caramel pie and there are no bananas. Just bring to a boil, then simmer three cans of sweetened condensed milk for 3 hours (make sure the cans are always covered with water). Then, let them cool a little bit, open & pour into graham cracker crust, top with whipped cream.

You're not supposed to do this--they say the cans might explode. Never had it happen, but just letting you know. It comes out similar to the canned dulce de leche.

I think you could get a similar result by slow-cooking the milk in a non-stick pan for an hour or so, stirring often.

Also, if you're making a basic cake anytime soon, you can let the cake cool for about 10 minutes, then poke holes in it with a fork, then pour on a can of the milk. It seeps in & makes the cake really moist (and sweet and rich). When it cools completely, you can still frost it or just eat it unfrosted as the milk makes it plenty sweet enough. One can is plenty for a 13 X 9 cake.
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: dessert ideas for condensed milk - 11/29/10 06:22 PM
Wow that sounds good! My boyfriend loves this kind of thing so good to know for a special occasion.
Banoffi Pie is luscious and uses sweetened condensed milk. The link is: www.bellaonline.com/articles/art6713.asp. The milk can also be used in fudge and lots of cookies. I believe there is a web site for Eagle Brand with the recipes.
Posted By: franciesmom Re: dessert ideas for condensed milk - 02/01/11 04:19 AM
There are all kinds of delicious recipes on the Eagle Brand Condensed Milk Website. I especially like the chocolate flan cake and coconut flan pie.

Here's the link...Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk Recipes
Deb,

That graham cracker crust pie sounds delicious. For me it would be sinful too, because I'd think about eating the whole thing myself. LOL

I will definitely do the cake-poke-holes sweet trick too. Thanks for the idea!
Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: dessert ideas for condensed milk - 03/14/11 08:27 PM
There's a popular Japanese dessert called kakigori that uses sweetened condensed milk. All you do is put some shaved ice in a pretty individual bowl and pour on some of the canned milk. Then, you top it with either fresh fruit or canned fruit cocktail. Fresh and delicious! smile

I also use sweetened condensed milk as an easy way to dress up a plain cake mix. Like BellaDeb only I add more on the top. Bake the cake. And before it cools, poke holes in the top. Pour on the condensed milk. Sprinkle on crushed Heath candy bars (or other chocolate bars). When it cools, spread on some whipped cream and sprinkle with shaved chocolate or chocolate chips.Refrigerate until serving time.

Use sweetened condensed milk to make Mexican Flan! So creamy!

My mother said that using the Depression Era, they would eat a "pastry" that was a simple concoction of soft white bread spread with sweetened condensed milk. Like a milk sandwich.
Posted By: Noemi Re: dessert ideas for condensed milk - 05/05/11 02:51 PM
We have this Filipino dessert called "yema". Get some peanuts, toast them, and chop them up. Pour condensed milk into a thick pan and add the peanuts. Cook this over medium heat for as long as it takes for the condensed milk to become very thick - almost like taffy. You have to keep on stirring the mixture till you get the right consistency, otherwise the milk will burn. Once you get the taffy-like consistency, get a spoon and make balls out of the thickened condensed milk. Takes a bit of work, but it is good!
Pink lemonade pie is easy-peasy!

Take one can of the condensed milk, a small carton of cool whip, and a small container of frozen pink lemonade concentrate. Stir these things together, pour into a graham cracker crust, chill the pie, and wait for the compliments. It has no redeeming nutritional value, but it is rich, delicious, and tastes like you had to spend some time making it!

When I worked for the phone company, a thousand years ago, a supervisor brought this all of the time for potlucks. People just loved it.
© BellaOnline Forums