logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
I have two cans of condensed milk left over from baking key lime pies. Anybody know what other recipes use this ingredient?

Monica Neave ISSA Certified Fitness Therapist

Get Your Best Female Figure with the most overlooked workout strategy.

Burn more fat with Fatloss Workouts that work!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Bannoffee Pie, you have to boil the cans of condensed milk in water to get a thick consistency to make the 'offee' in the pie.

Linda Heywood

Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
Sounds yum! I will check that out!

Zebra
Zebra
I've been making a similar pie for years, only we call it caramel pie and there are no bananas. Just bring to a boil, then simmer three cans of sweetened condensed milk for 3 hours (make sure the cans are always covered with water). Then, let them cool a little bit, open & pour into graham cracker crust, top with whipped cream.

You're not supposed to do this--they say the cans might explode. Never had it happen, but just letting you know. It comes out similar to the canned dulce de leche.

I think you could get a similar result by slow-cooking the milk in a non-stick pan for an hour or so, stirring often.

Also, if you're making a basic cake anytime soon, you can let the cake cool for about 10 minutes, then poke holes in it with a fork, then pour on a can of the milk. It seeps in & makes the cake really moist (and sweet and rich). When it cools completely, you can still frost it or just eat it unfrosted as the milk makes it plenty sweet enough. One can is plenty for a 13 X 9 cake.

Elephant
OP Offline
Elephant
Wow that sounds good! My boyfriend loves this kind of thing so good to know for a special occasion.

BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Banoffi Pie is luscious and uses sweetened condensed milk. The link is: www.bellaonline.com/articles/art6713.asp. The milk can also be used in fudge and lots of cookies. I believe there is a web site for Eagle Brand with the recipes.

Karen Hancock, Quick Cooking Editor
Quick Cooking Website
Quick Cooking Forum

F
F
There are all kinds of delicious recipes on the Eagle Brand Condensed Milk Website. I especially like the chocolate flan cake and coconut flan pie.

Here's the link...Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk Recipes

Last edited by franciesmom; 02/01/11 12:20 AM.
Shark
Shark
Deb,

That graham cracker crust pie sounds delicious. For me it would be sinful too, because I'd think about eating the whole thing myself. LOL

I will definitely do the cake-poke-holes sweet trick too. Thanks for the idea!

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
There's a popular Japanese dessert called kakigori that uses sweetened condensed milk. All you do is put some shaved ice in a pretty individual bowl and pour on some of the canned milk. Then, you top it with either fresh fruit or canned fruit cocktail. Fresh and delicious! smile

I also use sweetened condensed milk as an easy way to dress up a plain cake mix. Like BellaDeb only I add more on the top. Bake the cake. And before it cools, poke holes in the top. Pour on the condensed milk. Sprinkle on crushed Heath candy bars (or other chocolate bars). When it cools, spread on some whipped cream and sprinkle with shaved chocolate or chocolate chips.Refrigerate until serving time.

Use sweetened condensed milk to make Mexican Flan! So creamy!

My mother said that using the Depression Era, they would eat a "pastry" that was a simple concoction of soft white bread spread with sweetened condensed milk. Like a milk sandwich.

Last edited by Lori Chidori - Marriage; 03/14/11 04:28 PM.
We have this Filipino dessert called "yema". Get some peanuts, toast them, and chop them up. Pour condensed milk into a thick pan and add the peanuts. Cook this over medium heat for as long as it takes for the condensed milk to become very thick - almost like taffy. You have to keep on stirring the mixture till you get the right consistency, otherwise the milk will burn. Once you get the taffy-like consistency, get a spoon and make balls out of the thickened condensed milk. Takes a bit of work, but it is good!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Karen - Desserts 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.