BellaOnline
Posted By: Deb - ALASKA 4th of July fireworks in Alaska! - 06/30/09 06:44 PM
Hey, anybody interested in how Alaskans celebrate the 4th of July? The most common way, other than BBQs, in most states would be FIREWORKS! But think about it ... this IS the "land of the midnight sun", after all <grin>. It is still bright DAYLIGHT outside at midnight in much of the state. What do you think we do? Let me know and I'll let YOU know if you're right!
Posted By: Deb - ALASKA Re: 4th of July fireworks in Alaska! - 07/05/09 10:37 PM
Well, I stayed up until nearly 1:00 AM (which technically made it the 5th of July) listening to the sound of fireworks going off all across the Mat-Su valley I call home. Since we live on a hillside, I even had a fairly decent view of some of the streamers and poppers being set off in the large gravel pit about half a mile from our house - it's a popular site for locals since there is little risk of fire there. Then again, there wasn't a whole lot to see. It was about as dark as it was going to get on this sunny, cloudless 4th of July Alaskan night and I could make out different colors ... vaguely. smile Still, the party-goers sure sounded like they were having a good time and I could smell the burgers from here!

Happy 4th of July, everyone!
© BellaOnline Forums