BellaOnline
Posted By: Stephanie - Ind. Parties Immigration Bill in Arizona - 05/07/10 07:04 PM
What are people's thoughts about the immigration bill in Arizona? I wrote an article about it on the Independent Parties but would love to hear what others think.
Immigration Crackdown in Arizona
Great article, Stephanie. I am definitely in favor of the immigration bill in Arizona. As a matter of fact, the other 49 states need a bill just like it.

I am not racist, I just believe that if a person is not a citizen of this country and are here illegally, then that person needs to leave and go back where he or she came from. If a person wants to live in this country, they need to apply for citizenship and go about it the right way.

Article 67 of Mexico's Population Law says, "Authorities, whether federal, state or municipal ... are required to demand that foreigners prove their legal presence in the country, before attending to any issues."

Mexico's president is totally against Arizona's immigration bill. But he doesn't show the tolerance to those in his country illegally that he expects us to show to those in this country illegally. Maybe we just need to adopt the same immigration law that Mexico has.

I watched a segment today on a group of LEGAL immigrants. It was very interesting to hear their side of the story. They are all totally for the law. They believe that if they had to go through everything they did in order to become citizens, it is not right for someone else to be able to just run across a border. One of the points brought up is how some feel they have a sense of entitlement. No one is entitled to receive something just because they are struggling. Another interesting point brought up is that the illegal immigrants who are here are like a modern day type of slavery, working for much less money than someone else would. I get tired of hearing that because you believe in LEGAL immigration you are a racist. It has nothing to do with race...it has to do with obeying the law! Thanks for sharing your point.
Posted By: Silverwolf Re: Immigration Bill in Arizona - 05/08/10 06:22 AM
Heck Yes! Amnesty just encourages others to go out and ignore the law figuring they will be exempt from prosecution too sometime in the future. I think it is high time the Feds own up to ENFORCEMENT of the law. No "political correctness" while overlooking the fact that these folks are breaking the laws and have no entitlement to any protections given to legal citizens already here. The Constitution was for American citizens, "We the People", not just anyone who shows up.
Posted By: Angie Re: Immigration Bill in Arizona - 05/09/10 12:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Lisa - Fiction Writing
Maybe we just need to adopt the same immigration law that Mexico has.

So many countries throw illegals into jail. An example are the three students who were hiking in the mountains along the border of Iran and crossed the border. They are still there in prison.
No, I don't want to just throw illegal immigrants into jail and leave them there. They just need to be sent back to their own country.
I think one of the big focuses right now needs to be on stopping any further illegal immigrants from entering. Then we deal with the ones who are here.
Posted By: Phyllis Doyle Burns Re: Immigration Bill in Arizona - 05/13/10 05:46 PM
I stand with the decision of the Governor of Arizona. If people cannot come into our country legally, they do not belong here.
Posted By: Lisa - Fiction Writing Immigration Bill in Arizona - 05/20/10 07:37 PM
At least one other state is beginning to see that something needs to be done about illegal immigration.

EXCERPT: State Rep. Peter G. Palumbo, saying that he�s �fed up,� and �we�re all under attack� by illegal immigrants, has filed a bill mirroring a controversial Arizona law that is considered the toughest immigration legislation in the country.

R.I. lawmaker files bill that follows Arizona immigration law
EXCERPT: At a joint press conference in the White House Rose Garden on Wednesday, President Barack Obama and Mexican President Felipe Calderon criticized Arizona�s new law against illegal immigration.

Mexican President Denounces Arizona Law Despite Laws Against Illegal Immigration in His Own Country

Posted By: Angie Re: Immigration Bill in Arizona - 05/21/10 10:58 PM
The president is critical of a lot of things in the US. He has put our nation and people down around the world since he took office.
Posted By: Craig58 Re: Immigration Bill in Arizona - 05/23/10 04:01 AM
I am sorry you feel that way. I believe President Obama is a far better President than our previous President. Our previous President was a disaster and the worst I have ever seen.
Angie, you are not the only one who feels that President Obama is far too critical of things American.

Craig, I am sorry that you feel obama is such a terrific President. We are each entitled to our own opinion, though.

There has been a lot about immigration in the news. More and more states are beginning to take matters into their own hands.

EXCERPT: The Burleson Tea Party is hosting a "Keep America Free" town-hall meeting featuring Hispanic speakers who support the law, which allows officers to ask people for documents to prove that they are in this country legally.

Burleson Tea Party schedules Hispanic speakers who support Arizona law

EXCERPT: In what is developing into a standoff between states and the federal government that could be bigger than gun control or even health care, 17 states have launched versions of Arizona's immigration law, even as federal officials say they may not bother to process illegal aliens caught by the states.

17 more states planning Arizona 'illegal' crackdown

EXCERPT: The author of Arizona's immigration law, state Sen. Russell Pearce, told constituents he wants to pass another measure to invalidate citizenship granted to the children of illegal aliens.

Author of Arizona immigration law wants to end birthright citizenship

Posted By: Angie Re: Immigration Bill in Arizona - 05/24/10 01:02 AM
>>>>EXCERPT: The author of Arizona's immigration law, state Sen. Russell Pearce, told constituents he wants to pass another measure to invalidate citizenship granted to the children of illegal aliens.

Author of Arizona immigration law wants to end birthright citizenship<<<

If you are born in a European or other country and you are the child of American parents, are you automatically a citizen of the country of birth? I do not know why we grant automatic citizenship to anyone born here but whose parents are not citizens in this country. I do not know the answer to the above.
I'm not completely sure, but I do know a little bit. My husband used to be in the Air Force. We were stationed in England at the time I gave birth to my daughter. She was given British citizenship, as well as American citizenship. She is almost 24 now; I really don't know if she is still a dual citizen.

If we had just been visiting England when I gave birth, I don't know if she would have been granted dual citizenship.

In my opinion, it isn't right to grant anyone citizenship in a country if the parents aren't citizens of the same country, though.
EXCERPT: The Mexican government has announced it respects the Obama administration's decision to send 1,200 National Guard troops to the U.S. southern border to counter cross-border drug and weapons trafficking � just as long as the troops don't enforce U.S. immigration laws.

Mexico: 'U.S. troops OK, but no stopping illegals!'

Posted By: Angie Re: Immigration Bill in Arizona - 05/27/10 10:58 PM
If nothing else, this bill has brought the problem to everyone's attention.
Posted By: Silverwolf Re: Immigration Bill in Arizona - 05/30/10 09:03 PM
Isn't it funny how the Mexican President can think about lecturing us on Immigration policy, but he can't even begin to enforce his laws to get control over the drug cartels with all the murders and corruption involved? I think he has enough to do in his own land that he should just shut up and stay in his own country and try to discourage others from breaking our laws by coming over here illegally.
© BellaOnline Forums