BellaOnline
Posted By: tobasco movies - 04/24/06 05:03 AM
[*] What is your favorite actor, I mean who do you think did fine work and in what role, why? what film do you feel was the best written, and why.
Posted By: Alexa_DramaMovEd Re: movies - 04/27/06 12:06 AM
Hmmm...One of my all time favorite actors is Morgan Freeman, he blows me away in everything he's in. I think his characters in Driving Miss Daisy and Seven are two roles he played really well. Why? Probably because there is a subtlety and intensity to him which he brings to every role but especially the role of a quiet and helpful servant of sorts in Driving Miss Daisy with the added tension of the Civil Rights issues and his resigned but yet heroic manner in Seven.

Best Written Film--I'd really have to think about that one but off the top of my head The Way We Were and Magnolia. There are so many layers in each of those films and they speak truthfully to things that people go through every day (death, love, faith, etc.).
Posted By: Alexa_DramaMovEd Re: movies - 04/27/06 12:07 AM
Great questions by the way.
Posted By: Alexa_DramaMovEd Re: movies - 04/27/06 12:08 AM
I think I misread your one question though--best written out of the 2 Morgan Freeman were in is definitly Driving Miss Daisy.
Posted By: tobasco Re: movies - 04/27/06 05:30 AM
Alexa,
Morgan Freeman is fantastic, I think Johnny Depp will evolve into one of the best when he matures a little. Lets see, as far as women Kathy Bates in Misery, And whoever the ice queen is in Tales of Narnia was good, well cast. Oprah Winfrey did a fine job in the Color Purple. Sally Fields in the one role where she is a widow with a blind man as a border, forget the name, it was a good role, I think Jude Law has a wide range, but can get to cute, typecast. The young man, friend to Al Pacino in scent of a woman was fantastic, believable. I think of more but heres a new question.
Posted By: tobasco Re: movies - 04/27/06 05:38 AM
If you were to make a new movie with people in the roles, of Alice in Wonderland who would you see in the starring roles, I'll go first: Cheshire cat: Jack Nickolson
Alice: Jennie Garth of Beverly Hills 90210
The rabbit: I don't know why but Kramer from Sienfeld
The caterpiller : Chong or cheech
Get back to me. After you answer suggest another movie, tag your it.
Posted By: Alexa_DramaMovEd Re: movies - 04/28/06 07:54 PM
All the actors you mentioned are wonderful and I agree wholeheartedly about the evil queen in Chronicles, she was freaky, especially with the make-up (great actress).

Wow..this is a tough one. No one has ever asked me who I would cast in a surrealistic, fantasy type movie, that's one I'd never thought of before.

Cheshire Cat--You can't get better than Nicholson for that one, so I'll stick with you there (he's got that devilish smile).

Alice--She doesn't have blond hair but could easily be convincing in this role: Alexis Bledel from Gilmore Girls and Sin City.

The Red Queen-- Judi Dench maybe.

The Rabbit-- I would have to really think about this one, I'm not sure.

The Caterpillar-- Allen Cummings (he's fabulous).

I'll have to take a little time to think up a good movie to list next.
Posted By: Alexa_DramaMovEd Re: movies - 04/29/06 07:37 PM
You know what would be cool to make into a film--that childrens story "Where the Wild Things Are" but I don't remember all the characters well enough to cast them. I think though that I would play with it--either have the little boy be real and the rest of the characters done in CGI or have the boy be real when he is at home and then make him CGI when he goes into the forest where the wild things are.

What do you think tobasco?
Posted By: lrjc Re: movies - 04/30/06 11:40 PM
Hi Alexa,
I'm inquiring for a friend of mine to locate a movie or Television movie about a brothal that was ran by a women named Mamie Stover on the Hawaian Island during World War 2. I know this is a unusal request but the friend is a Veteran Marine who landed at four of the major beachheads and I think he's entitled to my respect.
Thank You
Len from the Underwater City
Posted By: Alexa_DramaMovEd Re: movies - 05/02/06 06:24 PM
Len,

Let me look into that and I'll see what I find. If I can't figure it out I'll ask my step dad, he is a Vietnam Vet and has seen more war movies than you could imagine.

Thanks for the inquiry
Posted By: Alexa_DramaMovEd Re: movies - 05/02/06 06:32 PM
Len,
The movie you're looking for is called The Revolt of Mamie Stover(1956), starring Jane Russell as Mamie Stover.

Thanks again for the inquiry, hope this helps your friend out.
Posted By: elle Re: movies - 05/03/06 02:27 AM
Wow Alexa, that was quick! I love Jane Russell.
Posted By: Alexa_DramaMovEd Re: movies - 05/03/06 05:54 PM
Thanks, I love Jane Russell too.

Hey Elle, do you remember the childrens book Where The Wild Things Are very well? 'Cause I am trying to think of who I would cast and how I would handle the CGI if it were made into a film, but it has been a while since I've read it. Do you have any thoughts on making this book into a film, or maybe another fantasy/surrealistic type film idea off the top of your head?
Posted By: lrjc Re: movies - 05/04/06 01:07 AM
Thank you Alexa,
I've located a seller of the movie and know this will bring a smile to an old Marines heart. With all the bad memories that he has to deal with of the war this might bring memories back maybe of dicussing Mamie with comrades while waiting to be shipped out to war.

Again I thank you,
Len from the Underwater City
Posted By: elle Re: movies - 05/04/06 03:19 AM
Len I'm so glad you found the movie for your friend :-) Good on you.

Alexa, I don't know Where The Wild Things Are, sorry. The books that I would love to see made into movies are David Eddings' Belgariad series, and Peter Straub's Koko and Mystery.
Posted By: Alexa_DramaMovEd Re: movies - 05/05/06 07:40 PM
I assume the stories you mentioned are fantasy/surrealistic--from the titles that was the impression I got. I have not read those but for anyone here who has--who would you cast in the film version?
Posted By: elle Re: movies - 05/06/06 02:27 AM
The Belgariad is fantasy - pure "quest" style. I'd cast the amazing Miranda Richardson as Polgara the Sorceress, and Daniel Radcliffe might make a good adult Garion. Perhaps Michael Gambon or Ian McKellen as Belgarath. And Alan Rickman or Gary Oldman as Silk.

Koko and Mystery are more surrealist - thrillers with a spooky supernatural/psychological edge to them. I see someone like Bill Pullman or William Hurt as Tim Underwood in Koko and Robert Redford as The Shadow/Von Heilitz in Mystery.
Posted By: elle Re: movies - 05/06/06 02:32 AM
Quote:
[*] What is your favorite actor, I mean who do you think did fine work and in what role, why? what film do you feel was the best written, and why.

To answer the question that started this thread...

Ed Norton in American History X - both as my favourite actor and the film I think he did his best work in. He also did amazing work in Fight Club.

Best written film I would have to say is The Usual Suspects with all that intense dialogue and the twisting use of story. So clever. There were so many threads there that the writers had to ensure they didn't drop.
Posted By: Alexa_DramaMovEd Re: movies - 05/06/06 07:32 PM
Ed Norton is one of my favorites too. I really liked American History X but it is also one of those that is so gut wrenchingly honest that it is hard to watch. I also liked him in Primal Fear, I think it was--the one with Richard Gere playing Ed Norton's lawyer.

It would be interesting to see Robert Redford in a sort of surrealistic film, I feel like he could play any part he wanted and pull it off, same with William Hurt.

Elle, have you ever seen Three Days of the Condor with Robert Redford?
Posted By: elle Re: movies - 05/08/06 02:11 AM
Mm, no I haven't. I might have to check it out.
Posted By: Alexa_DramaMovEd Re: movies - 05/09/06 09:44 PM
Yep, it's a real good one. I think it was done in like 1974.
Posted By: elle Casting for Farseer trilogy - 06/14/06 07:05 AM
Okay, let me play casting director for the fabulous fantasy trilogy I finished reading a few weeks ago: Robin Hobb's Farseer (Assassin) Trilogy:

Ian McKellan as King Shrewd
Alan Rickman as his half-brother, Chade
Viggo Mortensen as King Verity
Jonathan Rhys-Meyers as Prince Regal
Orlando Bloom as older Fitz-Chivalry
Freddie Highmore as young Fitz
Elijah Wood as The Fool (with white make-up and pale contact lenses)
Gabriel Byrne as Burrich
Helena Bonham-Carter as Lady Patience
Miranda Richardson as older Serene
Maggie Smith as Kettle
Kate Winslet as Starling Birdsong
Emma Thompson as Lacey
Judi Dench as Hod
Robbie Coltrane as Black Rolf
Gary Oldman as Galen
© BellaOnline Forums