BellaOnline
Posted By: Horror_Movies_Editor Twilight: New Moon - 03/02/11 12:09 AM
Here's my review of the second 'Twilight' movie. A bit behind the times, but it takes a lot to sit through. If there are fans of the film could you please share why (other than the guys)? And fans of the book would you please share with us what you like about Bella's character smile

TWILIGHT SAGA: NEW MOON REVIEW

Share your thoughts and thanks for reading smile TEAM JACOB!!!

Posted By: Asha - Dreams Editor Re: Twilight: New Moon - 03/02/11 12:26 AM
Steven I haven't seen the second film but I found the first film less interesting than the book. I passed the first book on to a friend who said it had far more depth than the movie.

The general consensus amongst people I know who talk about such things (and I do know some "Twilight" fanatics) seems to be that the second book and film are the weakest.
Posted By: Horror_Movies_Editor Re: Twilight: New Moon - 03/02/11 12:34 AM
Oh Jeez - it was so awful Asha, I had to turn it off three quarters through and start watching it again, determined to finish. I find the books much better, but I don't think the author, Meyer should be writing about horror characters if she's not prepared to make them in any way horrific LOL.

I just don't get it - but I will sit through the next film - I've heard it's got more action - though that would'nt be difficult LOL. Plus, Bryce Dallas Howard is in the next one if I recall correctly - so at least there will be one strong actress. Dakota Fanning was good in her tiny scene in this film, as were some others.
Posted By: Asha - Dreams Editor Re: Twilight: New Moon - 03/02/11 12:48 AM
So maybe things can only get better wall

The first Stephanie Meyer book I read was "The Host" which I thought was excellent - innovative, creative, made me think and took my mind out of the box it can sometimes stay in...
Posted By: MollyAttachmentParenting Re: Twilight: New Moon - 03/02/11 03:10 AM
I have only seen the first two movies, but I agree the books were so much better. And "Host" was absolutely fantastic. Such a unique storyline.

I think the movies of Twilight tend to just protray the characters at the fundamental level, and doesn't get them as much depth as the books. I think Bella comes off as a whiny teenage girl who feels sorry for herself way too much...
Posted By: Asha - Dreams Editor Re: Twilight: New Moon - 03/03/11 09:00 PM
Molly good to hear you also enjoyed "The Host". I think it would make an interesting film - might present some directorial challenges!

Posted By: Horror_Movies_Editor Re: Twilight: New Moon - 03/06/11 03:45 PM
Asha - I've heard that from a lot of fans they don't know how they're going to film a particular scene in 'the host' - is it to do with pregnancy? What is it exactly?

I'd love to see all those tween mouths drop open to the sight of some real horror in the Twilight movies LOL.

I gather you enjoy the movies as well as the books?
Posted By: Horror_Movies_Editor Re: Twilight: New Moon - 03/06/11 03:47 PM
And no-ones shared why they like Bella's character yet?

Molly, I think you summed her character in the movies up brilliantly.
Posted By: M o e Re: Twilight: New Moon - 04/12/11 04:49 PM
I don't really "like" Bella's character so much as tolerate her. I think it is more the concept of a human an an immortal that I enjoy. Bella, can be kind of irritating but I forgive her because Edward loves her.

I don't know why people always complain the books are better. It think it is pretty much a given that the book is always better and fuller than the movie. I think movies made from books almost always get a tough break and it annoys me. The only way to be true to a book is to do a serial, especially books of these lengths, not a movie. Adaptations do the best they can with their time frame and I think people need to let go of the book and watch the movie as the new entity that it is. I love movies, and I love books but I expect different things from both and enjoy what each format has to offer.

I enjoyed the first movie like I enjoyed the first book. I enjoyed the second movie for what it was, a continuation of the story. The second book really wasn't a favorite of mine because there wasn't enough Edward. I'm looking forward to seeing how they are going to pull off the third book.
Posted By: Horror_Movies_Editor Re: Twilight: New Moon - 04/15/11 02:55 AM
I've only read the first book - and I had mixed feelings about it. The main issue I have with it is that it's such a borrowed storyline - a vampire falling in love with a human; plus the fact that they're the most boring vampires ever LOL IMO. Vampires to me, even like in Buffy, True Blood, Vampire Diaries - if they've fallen in love with a human - there's still been that horror element, they drink blood. They want to at least, and they usually end up being bad.

Plus, I don't 'get' the appeal of the movies. I have certain friends that do - and certain friends I can tell are following the heard and saying they like it. I suppose it's kind of like taking advantage of the horror genre and then making up your own rules. Instead of bursting into flames, they sparkle like diamonds LOL - I think that says it all.

I think Jacob is the best character in it, certainly the best actor.

Reading the novels though Moe, you mut have liked Bellas character in them? Or was she simply a vessel to travel through? I jst wonder what so many people find in her character, it's started to facinate me.

I agree that films and books are completley different forms, but I also think that many, many films have been as good as the book and even stayed true to it completley. If you read 'Rosemary's Baby' for example, it's like reading the screenplay - everything is identical - it's fantastic smile

Posted By: barney003 Re: Twilight: New Moon - 05/06/11 12:01 PM
Hey the actor in this movie is really very handsome. I liked this movie a lot. Even there are TV serials which are coming on the same script. The new concept has worked for them again.
Posted By: M o e Re: Twilight: New Moon - 05/09/11 06:36 AM
She's definitely a vessel -- good descriptive.

Rosemary: Isn't the movie made from the screenplay? Aren't screenplays the bridge between the novels and the movies? It must still be quite different from the book, no?
Posted By: Horror_Movies_Editor Re: Twilight: New Moon - 05/10/11 09:42 PM
Well of course, Screenlays are, as you say Moe, the bridge between the novel and the book. I was saying though, comparatively speaking, Rosemary is near identical to the book - there is only one small thing changed at the end, because it would have looked silly. It just proves that novels/screenplays can stay completley true to the book. For example, even the decoration of the apartments, the clothes they're wearing, the exact words are all the same - it's great smile Though it is a rare thing.

I thought that 'Interview with The Vampire' was quite true to the book as well, though nowhere near as close in detail etc.

Barney, the TV show's you're discussing were already successful novels and were written before Twilight, so I don't think they have anything to do with one another as they're all so vastly different IMO. I don't think the Vampire craze has ever gone away - women, especially, seem to love the concept. I find it funny how you mention the attractive men first LOL smile
Posted By: Maria - Prime Time TV Re: Twilight: New Moon - 05/30/11 04:13 PM
Well the movie was nothing that I "wanted" to see until someone recommended it. After I saw the movie, I wanted to to read the book.

I really enjoyed the movies (both 1 and 2). Bella is super annoying but like Moe said, you tolerate her because of Edward).

I think that the actor who plays Jacob is really good and I hate that he always gets the shaft lol (even though it's just a movie). I feel like he doesn't get the respect he deserves.
Posted By: Horror_Movies_Editor Re: Twilight: New Moon - 06/05/11 01:33 PM
Edward is emotionally abusive to Bella though. He's basically an overprotective, manipulative stalker-type.

Bella is the poster child for "battered woman syndrome". Edward does nothing but get her hurt & ; put her in constant danger, and even after he tries to leave so she wont be in danger, she basically throws herself into more danger to keep his attention.

Basically she's the worst role model imaginable for young girls. Plus...

Stephanie Meyer donates 10% of her income, including 10% of the proceeds from the Twilight franchise to anti-gay movements. Her being a Mormon, supports a religion that discriminates against a minority, and we can see from her writing, she has little respect for women.

I find it shocking that people praise these films and books, especially on a womans website. He should have just turned her into a vampire at the end of the first movie, then she is making her own mind up - protecting herself, and she doesn't need a man to constantly protect her. Plus we all know Jacob isn't even in with a chance - though in reality, he would be a much healthier choice for her.

Bella is the most anti-feminist character in popular fiction at the moment. she's a total blank slate without any particular interests of her own AT ALL besides men. She only enjoys toying with the emotions of the men around her and getting their attention or sulking when she can't. Her life completely revolves around Edward and she deliberately sows conflict between the men in her life because she enjoys being a prize that men fight over. There's really nothing positive for teenagers, especially girls in these books.

Girls should be shown series one and two of Veronica Mars, which got cancelled - because she actually had a brain in it probably. Though it has its flaws, Mars is a much stronger female icon than Bella Swan - who is a very negative one in most respects.

So most ppl here then are watching these movies simply because the boys are "hot" in them - is that really what we want to be teaching young girls? I personally don't think so.
Posted By: Lucyhale Re: Twilight: New Moon - 06/06/11 09:27 AM
Hey i haven't watch twilight rest parts except very first one. That was good enough..
Posted By: NewPerson Re: Twilight: New Moon - 06/18/11 11:02 PM
I have read all of the Twilight books and seen all of the Twilight movies, including Eclipse. I thought I was the only one who believed that Bella's character is just....non-existent. I think the Cullen family is so much more interesting, individually, than Bella. I also think the werewolves are much more interesting than Bella. Heck, Jessica is more interesting than Bella. Bella seems to be this perfect girl who is not afraid of vampires or werewolves (but is terrified of marriage). She always does the right thing, never has any faults, and is adored by all men. She is the most responsible teenager who picks up after herself, keeps her room clean, and hates all the things that teenage girls usually love. Edward is more interesting in the book than in the movie. In the book, Edward is so much more charming and witty, more like a vampire should be. I wanted to hear more Jasper, Alice, Carlisle, and Rosalee. Jacob Black was interesting in the book and more interesting in the movie. I think that Lautner brought that character to life. I will still watch the two Breaking Dawn movies, just because I am curious.
Posted By: Horror_Movies_Editor Re: Twilight: New Moon - 06/19/11 12:51 AM
A few ppl I know don't like the movies for numerous reasons, but I know so many ppl that do like them. Which I personally don't understand. I read the first book, but it didn't get me hooked - I prefer True Blood LOL.

I'll probably watch all the movies too. I gave the first an okay review, then I was bored rigid with the second and then I started doing all this research; and a lot of feminists find Bella a terrible role model for women and find the piece slightly racist too - so I wrote about that, because although it's fictional, it does teach ppl how they should behave and think etc. I mean Bella has NO interests of her own apart from toying with the emotions of men in the movies that I saw. She even tried to kill herself just to get Edwards attention in the second movie.

I think that a better actress could've given more to the character. The cullen family cast are all really strong - any of those girls would have brought a lot more to the role I feel.

Dakota Fanning stole the show in just a few minutes with her presence in the second film - I don't know how Stewart got cast - though nepitisim could've come into it with her family LOL.
Posted By: kevin smith Re: Twilight: New Moon - 06/30/11 10:22 AM
yeah i'm big fan of twilight saga movie.
© BellaOnline Forums