BellaOnline
Posted By: Modern Woman Woman president - 01/30/07 11:38 AM
Is US ready for a woman president? US does not have a very good record of giving power to women. what do you think?
Posted By: Jazzy Geri Re: Woman president - 02/05/07 06:15 AM
Women here in the USA have all the rights and benefits as men. If they want to run for office it's open for anyone who has the right qualifications. Money too helps! Right now our former first lady Hillary Clinton now senator from New York state has her hat or "hair band" from the early 90's in the ring. She is not squeaky clean when it comes to her baggage with our previous President Clinton when they were in office and also going back to when they were governor and first lady of Arkansas. We must examine the whole picture and not just recent history of Mrs Clinton or anyone running. There are women in our military in high ranks plus women who are heads of universities and women heads of private companies who are very educated and ready if they are interested in this high seat of government. One thought about Hillary is that I don't feel I could take her screaming for 4 or 8 years. When she speaks and is so into her point...her voice gets louder and louder...like sandpaper can't imagine that when she would be in an important meeting with foreigners or anyone else. Enough said. Ciao...Jazzy Geri
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Woman president - 02/05/07 08:41 AM
I am not speaking of Ms.Clinton. I am asking- are americans ready for a woman president?
Posted By: Caring Parent Re: Woman president - 02/07/07 02:58 PM
I have no problem with a woman president--if she's a good candidate.
Posted By: Alexandra Re: Woman president - 02/07/07 05:29 PM
Gender is immaterial. Why do people keep feeling the need to bring itup?
It's like asking:

Would a man make a good mother?

It's a dumb question. Based on centuries-old prejudices, habits and repressions.
Get over the 'woman in a traditionally masculine role' idea, and we're half way there, to a decent society!
Posted By: Stephanie Austin Re: Woman president - 02/07/07 08:23 PM
I think they are. We are. However perhaps I'm naive- when I asked the same question a week ago to a group of friends, half women, they all said no.
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Woman president - 02/08/07 04:13 AM
Gender is a reality. Many socities have gender bias. To call it right or wrong is a different matter. But the reality can not be brushed aside.
Posted By: Craig58 Re: Woman president - 02/08/07 04:27 AM
I think a woman would make a good president. Unfortunately, there are not enough women in high office with enough experience to make a viable run for the White House. Senator Hillary Clinton's name recognition as the former first lady is the primary thing that has her as the front runner for the Democratic nomination. Unfortunately, candidates that are considered to be the front runner this early rarely, if ever, succeed in getting the nomination. What is really needed is to have more women governors. People who have been governors are often strong candidates for the White House. Several Presidents have been governors before becoming President. These include Presidents Grover Cleveland, William McKinley, Teddy Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson,Calvin Coolidge, Franklin Roosevelt, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Regan, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush

With more women as governors the greater chance of having more strong women candidates for President.
Posted By: babak Re: Woman president - 02/08/07 08:42 AM
rather male for leadership but personally I don't trust any politician! I love to see world without leaders, where every one can participate directly in ruling. I guess we will reach to this time.
Posted By: Craig58 Re: Woman president - 02/08/07 04:21 PM
A world without leadership is called ANARCHY.

ANARCHY is CHAOS!!!
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Woman president - 02/09/07 05:08 AM
I never said that US does not have fit women candidates for presidency. There must be many of them. I am thinking more about how the americans think about having a woman president.
Posted By: Alexandra Re: Woman president - 02/09/07 11:27 AM
Originally Posted By: cdmohatta
Gender is a reality. Many socities have gender bias. To call it right or wrong is a different matter. But the reality can not be brushed aside.

I can't argue against your first point, because I have made it before, too. What we have to actively work collectively to eliminate, is your second point. Because it IS wrong. Reality of this nature, can - and MUST - be brushed aside, if we are to have a world without boundaries. Reality it might be, but it doesn't make it 'Right'....
Posted By: Jim Colyer Re: Woman president - 02/10/07 01:11 AM
The Democrats are women and men who want to be women.
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Woman president - 02/10/07 05:56 AM
Originally Posted By: Alexandra
Originally Posted By: cdmohatta

I can't argue against your first point, because I have made it before, too. What we have to actively work collectively to eliminate, is your second point. Because it IS wrong. Reality of this nature, can - and MUST - be brushed aside, if we are to have a world without boundaries. Reality it might be, but it doesn't make it 'Right'....

Compared to other countries, US has been quite slow in giving the power to women. Many other countries have had women prime minister and presidents, but not the USA. That was the reason of the original post.
Posted By: ShoeGal818 Re: Woman president - 02/20/07 10:18 PM
Hillary '08 !!!!!
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Woman president - 02/21/07 05:32 AM
Will she make a good president?
Posted By: MariaMakiling Re: Woman president - 03/01/07 04:28 PM

I don't think that the US is ready for a female president. it is true that women are treated much better in the US than in some parts of the world but we are talking about the highest position in the country. A lot of men are also gender biased so I don't think that they will vote or accept a women as the president
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Woman president - 03/02/07 05:05 AM
Originally Posted By: MariaMakiling

I don't think that the US is ready for a female president. it is true that women are treated much better in the US than in some parts of the world but we are talking about the highest position in the country. A lot of men are also gender biased so I don't think that they will vote or accept a women as the president

Are the women in the USA ready to accept a woman president?
Posted By: C_AfricanCulture Re: Woman president - 03/02/07 08:26 AM
I think that the US has terrible gender bias. The leadership has been resolutely male and even in other areas it has failed women.

For example 25% of all major film directors in Iran are women vs the 1% in the US.

In fact the majority world in general has been better at having women leaders - the countries in the world at the moment with women leaders are: Ireland, New Zealand, Lativa, Finland, The Phillipines, Bangladesh, Mozambique, Germany, Liberia, Chile, Jamaica, South Korea and Switzerland. 7 of these 13 are majority world countries.

Argentina, Sri Lanka, Guyana, Nicaragua, Panama, Indonesia, Mongolia, Bolivia, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Ecuador, Georgia, India, Dominica, Central African Republic, Pakistan, Turkey, Senegal, Sao Tome & Principe, Burundi, Rwanda, and Peru are all other majority world countries that have had female leaders at some point.

Incidentally - currently the county with the most equal parilament in terms of a male/female split is Rwanda. Sometimes it is the places we least expect that have the most to teach us.
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Woman president - 03/02/07 10:57 AM
The leader of the ruling party in India is a woman.
Posted By: C_AfricanCulture Re: Woman president - 03/02/07 01:25 PM
I didn't add India to the list of countries currently with women leaders as Sonia Gandhi chose not to lead although she heads the party that won the last elections - but I did add India to the list of countries that have had women leaders in the past.
Posted By: Alexandra Re: Woman president - 03/02/07 03:28 PM
Originally Posted By: C_AfricanCulture
I think that the US has terrible gender bias. The leadership has been resolutely male and even in other areas it has failed women.

For example 25% of all major film directors in Iran are women vs the 1% in the US.

In fact the majority world in general has been better at having women leaders - the countries in the world at the moment with women leaders are: Ireland, New Zealand, Lativa, Finland, The Phillipines, Bangladesh, Mozambique, Germany, Liberia, Chile, Jamaica, South Korea and Switzerland. 7 of these 13 are majority world countries.

Argentina, Sri Lanka, Guyana, Nicaragua, Panama, Indonesia, Mongolia, Bolivia, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Ecuador, Georgia, India, Dominica, Central African Republic, Pakistan, Turkey, Senegal, Sao Tome & Principe, Burundi, Rwanda, and Peru are all other majority world countries that have had female leaders at some point.

Incidentally - currently the county with the most equal parilament in terms of a male/female split is Rwanda. Sometimes it is the places we least expect that have the most to teach us.

Good research...I think you will also find that the displaced Tibetan government has a high ratio of women...only, because it has no official country, this may not show up in National/International research....

"The legal codes of old Tibet stipulated: "Women are not to be granted the right to discuss state affairs." This situation is now no longer to be found in new Tibet. In 1996 female deputies to the Tibet Autonomous Region People's Congress made up 20 percent* of the total. Now Tibet has 573 women cadres at or above the county level, and some Tibetan female judges, procurators, police officers and lawyers for the first time in Tibetan history."

from
here

(* - Figure bolded by me. I believe the total percentage has now risen, during the last 11 years...).

Thank you, most interesting....
Posted By: Modern Woman Re: Woman president - 03/03/07 06:12 AM
Originally Posted By: C_AfricanCulture
I didn't add India to the list of countries currently with women leaders as Sonia Gandhi chose not to lead although she heads the party that won the last elections - but I did add India to the list of countries that have had women leaders in the past.

You are absolutely correct.
© BellaOnline Forums