BellaOnline
Posted By: toetapping Mum's driving me Mad. - 08/02/06 09:19 AM
I have a Mum who is 80, is vain, loves know one but her self and is only happy when a fellow makes a pass at her.
She looks after her self very well, always looks smart but you can not have a conversation with her about any thing but herself.

She is in hospital at the moment so I rang her up but she more or less put me off because one of her boyfriends was there. Am I a jealous daughter, or just hurt because she shows no feelings. My Mum has never told be that she loves me. Just a bit fed up and be interested to hear from any one who has the same problem and how they handle it.
Posted By: toetapping Re: Mum's driving me Mad. - 08/21/06 04:12 AM
Sorry I did not get any comments as I felt sure that some one was out there with a Mum just like mine. Remember I still love her she is my mum.
Posted By: MomDefrazzler Re: Mum's driving me Mad. - 08/22/06 08:52 PM
Hi, Toe-tapping!

This is an awkward situation. My own mother went through something similar.

I think it's important to respect and honour your mum even if she does things you don't like. Her self-focus is probably based on the fact that she has very little self-esteem and can only feel good about herself when she's being admired by a man.

Try complimenting her on things other than her looks - think more about personality. Does she have good qualities? Show them to her. Make her feel worthy. Send her a card of appreciation now and then, or flowers "just because".

Sometimes our Mums can't be there for us the way we'd like them to be. Find another relationship to fill that void as much as possible, and just be kind to your mum.

Darlene
Posted By: toetapping Re: Mum's driving me Mad. - 08/23/06 12:16 AM
Hi MomDefrazzler.

It is an awkward situation and thank you for listening and answering. You are right she has no self-esteem. She is a very hard lady to converse with as she always manages to get the conversation back to herself.

I am working on finding something to fill her place, such has helping out in nursing homes.
© BellaOnline Forums