Next Thread
Print Thread
#937791 03/29/23 04:55 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human

Mercury has a moon? Could the Jovian-Plutonian Gravitational Effect give you a floating feeling? Virgin Galactic has bought Pluto and has plans for getting it reinstated as a planet? Nope. April Fool hoaxes and jokes.

Astronomy April Fools

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Grenades on board the International Space Station?

Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield was clutching two objects that looked like grenades.

But it was April 1, 2013, and they were air grab sample bottles.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) for April 1, 2020

Asteroid or Potato? Image Credit: Jack Sutton

Explanation: Is this asteroid Arrokoth or a potato? Perhaps, after all the data was beamed back to Earth from NASA's robotic New Horizons spacecraft, the featured high resolution image of asteroid Arrokoth was constructed. Perhaps, alternatively, the featured image is of a potato. Let's consider some facts. Arrokoth is the most distant asteroid ever visited and a surviving remnant of the early years of our Solar System. A potato is a root vegetable that you can eat. Happy April Fool's Day from the folks at APOD! Although asteroid Arrokoth may look like a potato, in fact very much like the featured potato, Arrokoth (formerly known as Ultima Thule) is about 200,000 times wider and much harder to eat.

Arrokoth the asteroid

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
This is an abstract of an astronomy research paper that was actually submitted. (You might not want to read it all!)

Detection of Rotational Variability in Floofy Objects at Optical Wavelengths
[Submitted on 30 Mar 2021, released 1 Apr 2021]

L. C. Mayorga, E. M. May, J. Lustig-Yaeger, S. E Moran
Phase resolved observations of planetary bodies allow us to understand the longitudinal and latitudinal variations that make each one unique. Rotational variations have been detected in several types of astronomical bodies beyond those of planetary mass, including asteroids, brown dwarfs, and stars. Unexpected rotational variations, such as those presented in this work, reminds us that the universe can be complicated, with more mysteries to uncover. In this work we present evidence for a new class of astronomical objects we identify as "floofy" with observational distinctions between several sub-types of these poorly understood objects. Using optical observations contributed by the community, we have identified rotational variation in several of these floofy objects, which suggests that they may have strong differences between their hemispheres, likely caused by differing reflectivity off their surfaces. Additional sub-types show no rotational variability suggesting a uniform distribution of reflective elements on the floofy object. While the work here is a promising step towards the categorization of floofy objects, further observations with more strictly defined limits on background light, illumination angles, and companion objects are necessary to develop a better understanding of the many remaining mysteries of these astronomical objects.

But what IS a floofy object?

Mayorga somehow manages to talk about cats for ten pages as if they were planetary bodies, without ever explicitly saying the word “cat.” This meticulously cited paper includes a magnificent set of charts, tables and graphs supporting the discovery of six distinct clusters of these so-called “floofy objects.”
Sky & Telescope

L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Hello Mona and all cats out there,

Many times I feel like I am a floofy object. I wonder if it is catching? I wonder which cluster is mine? Or even if I belong to a definite or identified cluster? I mean, if I did then that would mean I was home with many other floofies wouldn't it?

Ah well. Rodin was probably as engaged when he produced his masterpiece. Or maybe not?

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
1 member likes this: Mona - Astronomy

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.