Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

Hello Everyone!

Okay – so how is this for a test of doing versus not-doing.

I aim to … no I intend to … no I am going to put up a tip of the day for CONTAINER GARDENERS starting from today for at least 30 days.

Then I shall dare myself to do it for another 30 days. I wonder when I’ll run out of tips? Not sure. Maybe you will help me?

I hope you find these useful as maybe it will cover something new for you to consider or maybe they will just act as important reminders about some of the basics. Forget to forget and remember to remember!

Anyway here goes for September 12 to October 11 2020.

CONTAINER GARDENING TIP OF THE DAY

Nothing else will make your containers more beautiful for you than if you choose the flowers and plants that please you and match your lifestyle. Ask yourself why you are gardening in containers then act accordingly. How much time do you have to garden daily? Weekly? What’s your budget? How much light/sunshine does your space get and when? There are many other questions to ask but here’s the tip for today – match your container garden with your lifestyle.

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland
Container Gardening Editor

Contain your Delight - it's easy!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

When making plant choices, go with the ones you like, with the ones that suit your container space and their placement. Choose the ones that suit the light available – full sun, dappled shade or full shade. The garden centre will have all that are in season in your area or zone, consider their advice, but overall, choose plants you like.

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

Small pots and containers hold a smaller volume of soil (of course!), which means that they will dry out more quickly and need more attention. Bigger pots need to be watered less frequently so consider buying a bigger pot than you think you’ll need, especially when planting up a new container. There will be different advice and tips for when you are re-potting.

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

I’ve read about how the bottoms of containers are filled with lighter-than-soil materials (like polystyrene bits or plastic bottles and so on) to make it easier to move the planter (not so heavy) or save money (not so much soil), BUT I disagree. I can’t argue, it may work for many people, but my advice would be to choose your containers with care for the job at hand and then fill them with soil to give your container plants the best chance of growing and blooming and all else.

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Hello Everyone,

I note that there are some replies to the tips of the day but I can't access them so can't comment etc. Is there some place else I should be looking? Help if you can please.

Many thanks

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

Butterflies and bees and ladybirds and their friends are welcome in any container garden so be sure to include plants that will attract these to your space. Salvia, Lavender, Bee Balm, Coreopsis, Butterfly Bush … oh so many more too … blues and purples and whites and ‘scenteds’ will all do this well.

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

Do you have roses in a container? If so, one of the pests you may have to deal with are aphids. Not good – but they are comparatively easy to control. Be persistent and use natural products whenever you can. Neem oil, or a mix of your own oils and water sprayed on will usually do the trick. You can also use a dishwashing liquid/water and cayenne pepper mix. Be careful to spray selectively as these measures will also kill beneficial insects. If you have the space, grow marigold nearby or lavender – aphids hate the scents these two plants give off.

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

It takes some thinking to understand that saying ‘less is more’ but it can be a good one to consider when you are planning your containers, especially if you only have room for a one or two pots. Don’t cram your pot full of every flower you like – go for a focal or specimen plant and complement it with others that match growing conditions. It’s your choice, don’t worry about what others will say. If ‘you do you’ your container garden will do the rest!

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

Watering your containers regularly and ‘correctly’ should probably head up your ‘To Do’ list. Surface watering is no good, you need to ensure the roots get the water, check the soil is moist and thoroughly watered. Capture the water in a drip tray (or saucer), allow to settle for a while then clear the drip tray – many if not most plants do not like sitting in water or having ‘wet feet’.

Lestie Mulholland

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L

A change is as good as a holiday they say (and I agree). The change of season is also helpful but why not take stock of your containers and see what can be changed, swapped with a willing neighbour or just kissed goodbye? What about planning a theme pot garden … green and white? …yellow only (or monochrome any colour) … scented? There are so many wonderful plants and options that could step up to this plate that you will be spoilt for choice. Whatever, the end result will always be nice, because you did it.

Lestie Mulholland

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.