#816373 04/12/13 10:15 AM
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
This post is not meant to offend anyone, it is simply a question to satisfy my curiosity :-)

So a lil personal background for clarity: I am a spiritual Hindu, but I practice Buddhism as well. Many Hindus believe that the Buddha is an avatar of Lord Vishnu, so many practice both or a combination of both Hinduism & Buddhism. I do respect all religions & philosophies and am of the belief that people should freely be able to practice whatever they wish (within reason, of course! I don't advocate things like human/animal sacrifices...). I also went to Catholic school for 12 yrs (yes, the whole stereotype -- school girl uniform, nuns with rulers...) so I am also quite familiar with Christianity in the Catholic sense.

My question: I get many emails from people that end in "Jesus loves you" or "May Jesus Shine his Light on You" or similar sayings.

Now none of this offends me, in all honesty (with no offense intended) - I simply ignore it. But what if I responded with like sayings like may "Lord Ganesha shower you with blessings" or may "Lord Vishnu grant all your wishes" ...

Would that offend you? Would this be considered offensive? Any thoughts? I'm just curious :-)

Last edited by Sadhana - Indian Food; 04/12/13 03:27 PM.

SADHANA GINDE, Indian Food Editor

BellaOnline Training Manager, BellaOnline Forum Admin, BellaOnine FB Admin :-)

Indian Food Website

Dont forget to sign up for the Indian Food Newsletter!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
It would make me smile, but then again I am a Pagan.. wink

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
S
S
Oh neat! I grew up Hindu, and like you have studied and "practiced" and been involved in a variety of religious traditions... and like you, particularly Buddhism.

To answer your question: I don't know if it would "offend" necessarily. I can imagine that some would react in strong disagreement (probably most would not share it). But I can, at the same time, imagine that people who did not agree with the quote will see it as similar to the sayings they choose to include at the end of their emails...

It is common to include some quote or saying or thought that reflects a deep, inner belief at the end of emails etc. And a lot of times, these sayings aren't necessarily religious. Either way, they are expressions of our beliefs...

S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
I do use more peace related quotes (usually by H.H The 14th Dalai Lama) that benefit all people & that are not necessary religious but just wise :-)

SADHANA GINDE, Indian Food Editor

BellaOnline Training Manager, BellaOnline Forum Admin, BellaOnine FB Admin :-)

Indian Food Website

Dont forget to sign up for the Indian Food Newsletter!
S
S
Yes posting a more "universal" quote makes sense if you are not attached to a single message and with the intention that it be interpreted in a particular way.

For myself, I like posting quotes that have particular meaning in my life at that moment. So I end up changing them often as life circumstances change. For me, they can be religious, spiritual or just wise, like you say smile

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I've found the Hindu practitioners very accommodating. When I was a visiting Pagan Chaplain for the local prisons several we were welcome to use the Hindu area of the Chaplaincy if there was no specific Pagan one.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.