Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I'm planning on having a book launch party on Facebook on Friday, March 15th, and I thought I'd share all my notes here! That way people can chime in with questions and comments, and learn how the process works. I highly recommend, if you're writing a book, that you think about doing a launch party. It's a great way to draw interest to your book.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK the first step is to have a fan page where you're building fans for your author activities. This is SEPARATE from your personal Facebook page. Your personal facebook page requires people to "friend" you and share their personal information with you. Most fans won't want to do that for privacy reasons. Instead you want to make a FAN page which lets them "like" you without sharing anything personal. That is the way to go.

So I already have a Facebook fan page for my author activities. You can see that here -

Lisa Shea Author Fan Page

So people can "like" that and still maintain their privacy.

I had it set up for my medieval novel series, there are 10 books so far in that series. Now that I am also doing murder mysteries, I'll have to tweak the way the title bar reads. But I'll worry about that in a little while.

The point right now is that your first step is to have that fan page. Create the fan page and ask all your family and friends to "like" it. Start posting regularly to it. That way, when you have your event, it is driving traffic to that fan page.

Post in this forum if you need any help setting up your fan page!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK once you have your fan page, it's time to create the event. Think about your audience and then choose a time when a block of them could be available. If you're going for moms of school-age kids, I wouldn't go for midnight smile. If you're going for lively 20 year olds, 9pm might work better than 8am. With time zones you'll never find a perfect time for everyone, but you want to do your best.

So in my case I'm going for 9pm on Friday March 15th, the Ides of March. For east coasters that will be still within wakeful hours. For west coasters they'll just be home from work. And that leaves a few hours for the party on a night where many people can stay up a bit late.

So in Facebook, on the fan page, where one can normally click to make a status update or post a photo, there's a green button there for "offer, event". Clicking on that allows you to create an event.

Choose a meaningful name for it. The name will be part of all the broadcast messages so it needs to reinforce your event's theme. So

Lisa Shea's Aspen Allegations FB Launch Party

Add a "details" area that lures people in. Show them why they want to be there -

"Prizes! Games! Virtual Snacks! Come on by on Friday, March 15th at 9pm EST to celebrate the launch of Lisa Shea's first murder mystery novel, Aspen Allegations! You could win free books, mugs, t-shirts and other fun items. Be sure to share with friends and family - all are welcome!"

Then set the when date and time.

You've begun the process!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK now your event needs an image. This gets tricky.

First, your image needs to be 714 pixels wide by 264 pixels high. It's a specific size. But that's not the tricky part smile.

The tricky part is that for the thumbnails Facebook is going to take a CENTER SQUARE of this image and use only that. So if you have a large image with large words, the Facebook thumbnail is going to be a strange chopped off piece of it.

So you need to make an image that is 714 x 264. Then you need to look at the SQUARE that is 264 x 264 in the middle of that image and that is where you start. Make that area look neat and readable. It's going to be shrunk to 200x200 for the thumbnail so make sure the words there are big enough.

Then when that area is set, fill around it with other words and descriptions. Make sure your banner in general talks about the fun people will have at your event. Remember, they're investing time into this. Give them a reason to come. Prizes. Games. Fun conversation.

Here's my full banner image. You can see the "square" area in its center.

So then when Facebook offers news or info about it, it looks like this -

Let me know if you have any questions so far!

Last edited by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames; 03/15/13 06:03 AM.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK now you have an event and it has a nice banner. The next step is to start getting people to sign up for it. You want to give them about a week's notice. That way they have time to plan their schedule around it, but it's not so far in advance that they forget about it. So now that your event is "live", you want to share the news.

First, on your fan page, there is now an entry for the event. Hit the "highlight" button (the star in the top right box of the event) to highlight that event. That way it's featured prominently on your fan page.

Next, go to the event's page. Under the event's main image is an icon with a gear. Use that to "share" your event. Share the news on your personal homepage and on any other pages you run. Encourage people to re-share the news. Do your sharing at a "popular time". I.e. sharing news about the event at 4am might not have a lot of people see it. Try to share the news at a time that makes sense for your audience, to get as many eyeballs as possible seeing that news. I did my shares at 9pm on the Saturday a week ahead.

So for example I shared the event on my personal homepage with the promo tag of "Free prizes! Fun games! Mark your calendars - Friday March 15th at 9pm EST is going to be a blast! I hope you can come share in the fun. I'll be there! Please share with family and friends - all are welcome!"

Send a link to your event page to your Twitter feed, your LinkedIn feed, your Google+ feed, put it in your forums, on your blog, and email it to your friends and family. Each new promotion you do helps to increase the visitor count.

Last edited by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames; 03/09/13 05:09 PM.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Thank you Lisa for all this information.
One of the things I find helpful when setting up any graphics that have to fit into a specific place is to make templates and create the graphics in layers over the the template, then delete the template layer after it's worked out. So for your example, this is the template I'd use.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
That is wonderful, Shala, thank you so much for sharing that!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Make sure you "join" your event yourself. Once you have joined it, you'll see even more details about your event. You'll see a list of who is going and who is invited. When you look at the event page you'll see an "Invite Friends" option beneath the main banner image.

Now you can invite all of your Facebook friends directly to the event. You have to click on them one by one, but once you get through that, your invitation list will be populated. They are then able to also invite their friends.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
As you start to get attendees for your launch party, some people might post comments on the event page talking about how they're looking forward to attending. Respond to those, thanking people for their interest. That way they know you're a real person that is setting this up and that you care about it smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
People can get very cranky about being inundated with email, with good reason. I know I, myself, get cranky about email deluges smile So always make sure you make it clear to your invitees about how they can stop that stream of email messages. Make a post to your event page with something like this:

"If you're receiving notifications from this event and you'd rather not, it's very easy to silence them! Just click on the gear symbol beneath the event banner image. Then choose "Turn Off Notifications". Voila! You'll be all set!"

That way it's crystal clear for them to know how to do that.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK the next step is to plan out the prizes, because that might take you some time to gather up.

IMPORTANT NOTE: IT IS AGAINST FACEBOOK TERMS TO USE FACEBOOK TO SELECT OR AWARD PRIZES. You absolutely cannot ask questions in Facebook and choose a winner. You can't say "first person to guess" or so on. That would directly violate Facebook's terms of service and could get your entire account shut down. Don't risk it!!

You MUST use an external app to do any prize selection. I did testing of several of them. The one I liked was RaffleCopter which is FREE. It plugs into your Facebook accounts and handles all the legal stuff for you properly. You can see a RaffleCopter entry here -

SuttonMass page with RaffleCopter Contest

It's the icon that looks like a helicopter.

I'm going to set up an entry form on my LisaShea.com website, because I know how to code and that way I can make it just the way I want it to be. I am familiar with contest legal issues by now and know to include the start and end date, the value of the prize, a description of the prize, a statement that only US and UK people can enter, that only those 18 or older can enter, and the other legal language necessary. To see what a contest page should entail, click on our Trivia Contests page here at BellaOnline and look at our rules. You want your rules page to look like that.

If you'd rather not code a page on your own website, definitely go with RaffleCopter or another choice. But make sure you DO NOT USE Facebook itself to draw names. After all the work you've put into setting up and promoting your Facebook page, you don't want to be shut down.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
So whatever way you choose to draw prizes, make sure you're familiar with that and practice with it before the event. You want to make sure that process goes smoothly. This is also the time to make sure you HAVE all the prizes in hand. Legally, before you offer a prize you have to have it. So any prizes you need to order, order them now.

For my launch party I'm going to be giving away a few copies of my Aspen Allegations book, both in print and ebook form. I'm going to be giving away copies of my medieval romance novels, ditto. I also have a Weddings and Courtships series so I'll give away a few of those. I have some no-cook recipe books and some sangria recipe and champagne cocktail books.

I make origami, so I'll be giving away an origami mobile as well as origami flowers and cranes.

My friend Jeanne runs EclecticLady.com so I just bought a few soaps to give away. Now I can link to her page to talk about these soaps, and it means she gets promoted and publicized as part of this. We all help each other out!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Next, you can make up some promo products for FREE with CafePress. I made up my images with JUST the cover feature design, without the title and the author name. By that I mean here is my cover -

When I put it onto CafePress I isolated it down just to the leaf image. The aim here is to have as many people as possible to want them. If it's "a leaf" lots of people could want it. If it's "a promo for a specific book" fewer people will want it. I err on the side of having lots of interest which will then lure people into learning more about my book. So here's the image -

I can then give away a few of those items.

Last edited by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames; 03/15/13 07:52 AM.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I want to offer another thought in here while I post. Aim to space out your promotions gently over the week between when you set up and when the event happens. Don't send out 80 thousand messages on the first day! You'll wear your audience out. So even if you have 20 prizes, don't post about all of them right away. Space them out so each day you talk about a different prize. That way you build interest and remind people about the event.

Your postings should always have value. Don't just say "the event is in two days!" - that feels nagging. Don't just say "The author is amazing!" - that feels boasting smile. You want to post things that draw them in. Post about a fun prize. Post about a fun game. The reminders should be about what THEY will get out of this - Marketing 101.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK once the prizes are set, it's time to think about what else your visitors will be doing. They want to have fun! It's your role as host of the party to arrange that fun.

First up - food and drink. Yes, it's a virtual party, but it can still be fun! Think up the food you'd serve to go with the theme of your book or project.

In my case, I'm a low carb editor. So I'm going to serve tasty low carb snacks. I'll do them up early and take photos. Then, as the event progresses, I'll occasionally post a photo of an item along with a link to its recipe. Everyone can chime in about whether they like it or if they'd like to try it. It will give people something to talk about.

Also, I'll do a virtual wine tasting where we all share what we're drinking and what we think of it.

These sorts of things give people something to talk about that they can chime in on without stress. It adds to the sense that they are "there".

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Next up - Trivia Contests. People love guessing at things. You want to make it something people might actually know so they feel like they have a chance. So with my book being a murder mystery, I could ask questions about famous murder mysteries. Who wrote Murder on the Orient Express. Where was the Spenser for Hire series set. Who shot J.R. smile. The aim is not to stump them. The aim is to have them racing to see who can answer first. My book involves yoga and nature as well, so I can ask questions about those things.

Make up a list beforehand in Notepad so you can just cut-and-paste your questions over into the event occasionally, to keep people talking.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Think up activities. Things people can "do".

My book involves yoga, so I can have them do simple yoga activities. Rotate the crown of their head as if they're making a halo for themselves. Roll their shoulders five times. Have them chime in when they've done it. It keeps them healthy too smile

Again, make the list beforehand in Notepad. Paste them in occasionally to the stream.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Next, games! Games get people thinking and challenge their competitive spirit. Games are good because they "run by themselves" once you start them. That way people can be playing a game while you are then catching up on questions or making other posts.

So for examples take the title of your book. In my case it's Aspen Allegations. Then ask everyone to think up as many words as they can, four letters or more, that use the letters in that title. So for example "pens". That then keeps them challenged trying to figure out other combinations.

Another game - the "name an animal beginning with ..." - so in this case I'd start with A. People could all chime in with animals. It's something anybody can play.

What other games would work well in this situation, that would self-run once started?

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Another idea for things to post. Post images related to your book's theme so people can comment on them. In my case I can post images of Sutton - its natural beauty. So I can intersperse those in so people see what Sutton is all about. Again that's something where you have all the images ready to go beforehand in a folder, make a list of them, and then just cut-and-paste the URLs in one by one slowly during the course of the event.

People love photos!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Another game idea - post the name of a lead character and then ask what movie or tv characters come to mind when they hear that name.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Lisa,

This is all so helpful.

Another game idea for your book - ask people to name any famous real life mysteries (like the Lindbergh baby).

Sandra Baublitz, Investing/Home Finance Editor
Investing Website
Home Finance Website
Sandra Baublitz Author Webpage

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
another game idea - think up movies, tv shows and novels set in Massachusetts. This can work with any location-based book or project.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Sandra -

That's a great idea - thank you so much!

Definitely a key here is to have lots of ideas up front. You don't have to use them all. By having a collection of things to choose from, you are ready for anything.

My plan here is to have a separate Notepad file for each category - prizes, games, the virtual snacks, and so on. In each file I'll have pre-written text I can cut-and-paste into the Facebook event. I'll put a star by each one as I use it, to mark it as used. That way I don't have to type, and everything is prepared. I just cut-and-paste from the various files. That frees me up to respond to comments and keep the conversation going.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I did my one promotional post in my event page today (Sunday). It was an image of one of my prizes - the CafePress tote bag with the aspen leaf image on it. So this way my event stays active in the minds of my group, without it feeling spammy. Their note they received was hopefully perceived as a positive one, and with it just being one during the day it wasn't too much.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK I've done a promotional post for today - Monday - talking about the origami prizes I'll be giving away. So again it's something they'll be excited to hear (I hope) and it will keep them energized about attending.

One of the things I'll be doing at the event is having a "virtual reading". I will do the reading beforehand, and video tape it. Then at the event I'll post the link to my video. I will keep the reading short - I don't want to lose everybody for 5 minutes while they go off and watch a video smile. So just a minute or two, so they can see me and hear my voice.

I got a sunburn yesterday while watching Bob march in a parade, so I have to wait another day or two to record the video, so I don't look like a lobster smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK I've aimed for a promotion a day about a cool prize I'll be giving away. I'm assembling my text file lists of the different things - virtual foods I'll be sharing, prize listings, games, and so on. Bob did a shopping run and brought home some of the "actual foods" I'll be eating, so I can post about those. He'll make me devilled eggs for example. I have a pile for the prizes I'll be giving away. I still need to get some bottles of Champagne, that's on the list. That can be tomorrow afternoon.

So now I'm sending out all my various newsletters to promote the launch party, to catch anybody who didn't see my Facebook promotions for it. Just about 24 hours away now!

I'm cutting it VERY tight on the IPPY awards - my CreateSpace order of 4 books should be arriving Friday. The deadline to get the package postmarked to IPPY is Saturday smile. So the books better come in on time! smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Woo hoo Jeanne's soaps arrived in the mail, and they are so pretty! Whoever gets the various soaps will be quite happy smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK here we are the day of the launch party. All the newsletters have been sent out promoting it. All of my "friends" on Facebook have been invited. I've put out daily messages on the event page talking about different prizes, to lure people in. I posted a video montage of Sutton, so people can feel "a part of" the atmosphere.

Bob did the food shopping so we have the "appetizers" raw ingredients in the house; he'll cook those up soon.

I still have to do my video recording for my virtual reading. I wanted to do it by the fireplace but Bob has piles of stuff there. So when he finishes with the classwork he's doing, I'll work on that.

I also need to set up all the sweepstakes pages. Again, this cannot be done via Facebook directly. I can't draw winners from people who post or guess things. So I need a completely third party solution in order to have it meet their terms. So that's my task right now.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK my coding is complete for the sweepstakes pages and administration of them. So that's good! I can turn sweepstakes on, off, and draw a random winner.

Next up, I have to make the 31 pages that have the entry forms. Each page needs a photo and description of the prize.

I plan on doing one every ten minutes, so that will keep us busy for a few hours! smile I figure it's better to have too many prizes vs too few.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK that took a little while, but I'm all set. I have the 31 pages all containing the proper legal language, showing an image of the prize, its description, and its value. I double checked each page. Hopefully I didn't miss something smile.

So the prize area is all ready to go!

Next up, I still have to videotape my reading. So I have to figure out where I want to do this smile. I'll be reading the first four or so pages of the book.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK I have the area by my fireplace set up for the videotaping - now I just have to get Bob out of the living room so I can actually do the taping smile. He claims he'll be leaving shortly to get my celery and sparkling wine for tonight's events. I'll keep practicing in the meantime.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK the party is about to begin! Come on by and enjoy!

Launch Party

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
The book launch was a great success! I had a large number of people coming and going, and we lasted for four and a half hours. I had a variety of people winning the prizes and participating in the games.

I'll post the details about the games and activities I did, so you can have a sense of what we were doing.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
First up, the food list. Occasionally throughout the party I'd post a photo of a food item and "pass it around". People enjoyed talking about the food items and asking about the recipes. So that was a fun way to get people involved.

Here's the list of things I passed around.

** Devilled Eggs
Here's one of my favorite appetizers ever - devilled eggs! I adore these things. In the 1800s, the adjective "devilled" meant "spicy". Enjoy!
www.bellaonline.com/articles/art10678.asp

** Celery and Hummis
I always enjoy celery and hummis - crispy, crunchy, green, and tasty too smile
www.bellaonline.com/articles/art11026.asp

** Chicken Satay
I'm a great fan of chicken satay. Delicious flavoring and a tasty peanut sauce too.
www.bellaonline.com/articles/art13769.asp

**Shrimp
Shrimp is good for you! Great protein with a delicious cocktail sauce.
www.bellaonline.com/articles/art11547.asp

**Tuna Tartare
If you enjoy sushi, definitely give a try to this tuna tartare appetizer. It has fresh mango and cucumber in it!
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art179922.asp

**Sashimi
I adore sashimi. Sashimi is in essence sushi without the rice. You get the flavorful raw fish, full of delicious omega 3 oils, and good protein as well.
www.bellaonline.com/articles/art33390.asp

**Stuffed Mushrooms
Mushrooms are very good for you, and this recipe doesn't need any bread.
/www.bellaonline.com/articles/art179940.asp

** Egg Salad Celery Snacks
www.bellaonline.com/articles/art179939.asp

So I would cut and paste one of those articles and images and descriptions occasionally throughout the party.

Here's what a sample posting looked like during the launch party.

Last edited by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames; 03/18/13 06:18 AM.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK next up, trivia questions and games. We had a lot of these running during the party. Some were quick who-knows-this kinds of questions. Others were fun discussion topics. Mine tried to apply to murder mysteries - you can make yours up to apply to your book topic of course! The aim is to make them fun and interactive. Something most people could know.

Again by having the list done beforehand, it meant during the actual party I could simply cut-and-paste.

** Here's a game! How many words can you make, four letters or more, using the letters in ASPEN ALLEGATIONS?

** The heroine in Aspen Allegations is named Morgan. What other people can you think of who share this name?

** Jason is the name of the hero in Aspen Allegations. What other famous characters have this name?

** What movies, shows, and novels can you think of that feature scenes in Massachusetts?

** Aspen Allegations is all about nature. How many animals can we name that begin with the letter "A"?

** Do you guys remember Columbo? What did you think of him?

** Is anybody watching Castle? What do you think of the show?

** Brainstorming time! What would be a good name for my sequel to "Aspen Allegations"?

** Who wrote "Murder on the Orient Express"?
(what's your favorite story by her)

** Where was the Spenser for Hire series by Robert B. Parker set?

** OK talking about childhood favorites, how about Quincy! He was always questing to right some wrong.

** Who shot J. R. ? smile

** What's the last murder mystery novel you read?

** Who is Keyser Söze?

** Did Han shoot first?

** Star Wars or Star Trek?

** Which Bond actor was the best?

* Rotton Tomatoes votes Citizen Kane as the best mystery movie of all time. What do you think?

** Real Life Mystery - Amelia Earhart vanished at sea. Do you think we'll ever find concrete proof of the wreckage?

** Real Life Mystery - just where is Jimmy Hoffa? Is he on a tropical island somewhere?

** Real Life Mystery - on March 18, 1990, the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston was robbed of amazing paintings including fantastic works by Rembrandt and Degas. Where do you think they are now?

** Who said “I don’t feel the need the need to wipe everybody out, Tom. Just my enemies. That’s all.”
-- michael corleone, godfather

** What song has the lyrics "She's a Killer Queen, gunpowder, gelatin"
(Queen killer queen)

** What song has the lyrics "Shot through the heart, and you're to blame"
(bon Jovi you give love a bad name)

** What song has the lyrics "bang bang he shot me down, bang bang I hit the ground"
(Nancy Sinatra bang bang)

** What song sings "Hit me with your best shot - fire away!"

** Who said "Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?"
(Joker batman)

** Where is this statement and response from? "We read five times that you were killed, in five different places." / "As you can see, it was true every single time."
- Casablanca, Berger to Laszlo

** Where is this line from? "Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed."
- north by northwest

** Where is this line from? "When a man's partner is killed, he's supposed to do something about it. It doesn't make any difference what you thought of him. He was your partner and you're supposed to do something about it. "
-- maltese falcon / sam spade

** Do you have a dream place you'd like to visit? Somewhere you've always wanted to go?

Here's a graphic of one of the games as it was taking place. There were many more participants after this too.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Next, activities. It's good to get people moving every once in a while so they aren't just staring at the screen the entire time smile So I incorporated some activities every half hour or so. Here was my list.

** Yoga time! Sit up straight. Think about the crown (top) of your head. Now trace a circle with your head clockwise, making a "halo" over your head with your crown. Do this five times. Then reverse. Did your neck creak?

** Yoga time! Sit up straight. Imagine a delicious orange is floating right in front of your nose. Point your nose at the top of the orange, and then slowly trace your nose around the orange clockwise. Do this five times. Then reverse. Does your neck feel better?

** Yoga time! Sit up straight. Lift your shoulders up, press them forward, pull them down, then press them back. Repeat five times. Then reverse. Better?

** Yoga time! Interlace your fingers. Turn your hands so the back of your hands faces your chest. Press your palms away from you as far as they'll go. Hold for five seconds. Enjoy!

** Yoga time! Stick your right arm straight out in front of you. Swing it left so it's across your chest. Use your left forearm to press your right arm against your chest. Hold for five seconds. Reverse. How do your shoulders feel now?

** Yoga time! Imagine you've just won a marathon. Throw both arms high in the air and smile as widely as you can. Cheer if you want to! Hold for five seconds. Studies show this pose actually boosts your feel-good hormones! Feeling better?

** Yoga time! Stand up and turn around in place. When you're at your computer you should try to stand at least every hour, to keep blood circulating properly. If you want to, give a little dance!

Here's an example of one.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
It was a great success, Lisa. And I really enjoyed the party. Just sorry I couldn't stay the whole time.

What is nice is that now I have a good idea how to do one when I get a book wrote. It was very instructive. Plus it was a lot of fun.

Sandra Baublitz, Investing/Home Finance Editor
Investing Website
Home Finance Website
Sandra Baublitz Author Webpage

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I also loaded up some photos relating to Sutton, both to show Sutton's beauty and to have a fun guess-this-plant game. Here's my list that I made beforehand to know what to post occasionally.

** guessplant 1 -
Who can guess what this plant is?
witch hazel

** guessplant 2 -
sassafras

** guessplant 3 -
maple leaf

** guessplant 3 -
juniper

Here's a photo of a trail in Purgatory Chasm. They are lovely and peaceful!

Here's a photo of kayaking on Lake Singletary in the autumn.

Here's an example of one of them -

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Sandra -

I'm so glad you found all the information helpful! That was a key reason I did the book launch party - to test this out step by step from start to finish, to help editors see how it worked and to build a "how to manual" for them smile Ask away if you have any questions!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I also did a virtual wine tasting. This wasns't "preplanned" but was more that I posted a photo of each cocktail I drank as the evening went on, and people chimed in with what they were drinking. So here's the first one I posted -

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
One of the keys of the launch party was the series of sweepstakes I did. I had 31 items to give away, and even at giving one away every ten minutes it still took nearly five hours to get through them all smile. So what I did was post a prize and give a five minute window. People had to enter within those five minutes. Then I ended the contest and drew a winner. By then it was pretty much time to start the next contest.

I want to note again that I **DID NOT DRAW THE NAMES VIA FACEBOOK** - that would be against their rules. I had each sweepstakes link to my own personal SuttonMass.org website so it was completely separate from Facebook. That way I did not violate their rules. Make sure you're quite careful about this when you do prizes.

I had a visual timer on my desk -

that way I could glance over and see how close I was to the end of a contest and do a "last call".

People enjoyed the contests immensely, and it kept them hanging around. There was always something new being offered.

Here's the prize list -

2 hanging origami cranes
6 origami flowers
A Sense of Duty paperback
Aspen Allegations ebook
Aspen Allegations ebook
Aspen Allegations paperback
Aspen Allegations paperback
Aspen Leaf Totebag
blue window mobile
champagne cocktails recipes book
Clover embedded soap
Dark green round soap
Dark green round soap
Finding Peace paperback
green 6-crane origami mobile
Green clover soap
Lake Singletary mug
Lake Singletary Water Bottle
no-cook cookbook
Oval Irish soap
Pair of Hyacinth Heather soaps
Pair of Lavender soaps
Pair of Lavender soaps
pink 8-crane origami mobile
Ramshorn Pond mug
Round Irish cross soap
sangria recipes book
Sutton Mass Bleeding Heart Mug
Sutton Massachusetts mug
weddings courtships France
weddings courtships Italy

Here's a sample of how one ran -

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Here's a general view of how the party would look. There would be various posts, various images, various sweepstakes, and people would chime in on them as they flowed by. Facebook auto-updates the page for you, and you also hit "refresh" on the page occasionally in case it gets stuck.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Here's a view of the top of the launch party page. This is what someone would see when they first got to the page of the event. There's my banner on top, the list of attendees on the left, the main description in the middle, and then below that the flow of discussion began.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Another sample discussion stream, to show that visitors could post questions too.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK I think I've hit all the main parts of the launch party! Now that it is over, my remaining task is to send out the prizes. So I have to contact each person who won, get their address, and send them out in the mail. So that will be a task of mine for today.

Let me know if you have any questions at all about how to set up, plan for, and run a Facebook event! Again this is great for book launches, product launches, anniversaries, and anything else you can celebrate. It's a way to build publicity for the things you do.

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.