Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Ian:

A lot of neighborhood watch organizations are trying to get people involved in their own protection from crime. The issues you mentioned - lighting for example, a SIMPLE way to deter possible crime.

Bottom line, the police can only do so much - you have to start by using wisdom each day whether you leave your house or stay in. Criminals have gotten so BOLD and now rob you when you are home!!!! Yikes. And I remember those days when a man around would be a good way to be safe. LOL, now they are attacking them too.

In ending - an area that really bothers me and I no longer watch on TV, kids disappearing on their way to school. I am so glad my only child is now 25. But when she was younger, I took precautions to safeguard her. Sometimes you can trust a neighbor with making sure your child is safe, but I chose not to as I lived in the ghetto at the time. LOL, neighbors were drug dealers and so on.

Originally Posted By: Ninjahedgewych
A pleasure Angela. Crime differs from country to country and region to region within the country. Having lived in Iraq, Mexico, China, Japan, and Hungary at various times it's interesting to see what's 'normal' for them and the precautions people take.

On my visits to the US all the houses do seem very vulnerable with poor outside lighting and limited lines of sight from the front door. The doors and walls don't feel that strong either. I will have to write an article on home protection from both the magickal and earth plane perspectives. smile

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Thanks for your input wink

Originally Posted By: FrankJBN
Ran into a problem early on - we have to "define crime" as "it's a big subject".

Hmmm... someone asks if it is or includes "theft? mugging? fraud? scams?" Gosh, tough question. Let's see, Is theft a crime? Yes, so that's included. How about mugging, could that be a crime? Sure, it probably includes an assault, a battery, and a theft, actually a robbery, so yes, mugging is a crime, so indeed mugging is included. How about fraud? Certainly there's such a thing as criminal fraud, so we can include that too. Scams are usually defined as frauds, so we can include them too. How about that! Every thing suggested is a crime, so they can all be included when we say crime.

Here's an idea- how about we define crime as criminal activity? That's not too much of a stretch is it?

Now that we have a proposed acceptable definition of crime as criminal activity, hope this helps the discussion can move forward.

Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Originally Posted By: Ninjahedgewych
Quote:
For example, a lot of "id" thefts are happening from information taken from "online" resumes

In addtion to the 'Scambusters' site, this one from "Scamwarners" seems to be carrying the best and most up to date information on employment and other scams.

Hope it helps! smile

Yes it does help Ian - appreciate all your input!!!!!

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Quote:
I remember those days when a man around would be a good way to be safe. LOL, now they are attacking them too.

Indeed, these days young men are one of the major groups most at risk from violent crime . Mind you most of the violent crime in various parts of the world involves young men attacking, or being attacked by other young men. In the UK alcohol is usually involved although in Brazil you can be mugged for your swimming trunks in the sea!

As a co-ordinator for our local Neighbourhood Watch (Yes, the local Witch does run the Neighbourhood watch smile ) , things here are pretty quiet. The biggest question at the moment is ....do we apply to have our road made a no cold calling area? As far as I can remember the last gun crime in Portsmouth was in 2009 and no-one was shot. What's it like where you live now?

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Ian:

Wow and thanks for the info from your end of things.

I am from Jamaica, West Indies but now live in the States.

When the English were still involved (yes your country/lol) in Jamaica, things were awesome.

When we became independent it was like all HELL broke loose. No direction and fraud. I am now in my 50's and have no desire to go back there to live. Kingston which is the capital is awful. Tourist are warned not to wear items like earrings that can be pulled out of their ears. It saddens me to hear this as I have fond memories of my island as a child.

Okay, now on to the USA. Like all areas, you have the areas you stay out of no matter what time of the day it is smile

And you have others you can go for a jog and would be hopefully safe during the day.

The big cities like New York and Chicago have their gangs I hear - adults and young people. And we are losing more young people to crime due to a lot of families not being families. And by this I mean, family structure.

My daughter grew up in the "ghetto" (yes, the gun shots and so on/lol) - but we were not of the it. And by this I mean - I would say good morning and hi to my neighbors, but they knew not to approach me or my child with anything illegal. And yes, I would call in stuff but would not reveal my name, phone number and so on. Hey, did not want any police knocking on my apartment door = they would know I called it in. But I realized that if I was going to stay alive, I had to get involved in my area of the complex.

Thank you again for stopping by Ian - been awesome chatting with you as usual wink

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
For a international 'snapshot' of crime- and policing- here is policing from the USA , UK , and Australian point of view. Interesting insights into all three cultures smile

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
Hi Ian:

Thanks and I will make some time to check out these links.

I see we have an expert on crime = you wink

LOL, it pays to know what the rest of the world is up to just in case I decide to travel the world before I die.

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 08/30/12 05:01 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Quote:
I see we have an expert on crime = you wink

wink Indeed- In my experience the number of times criminals have 'tried it on' when they think you're a non-local who's never seen their particular approach before, has only been equalled by their shocked look when they find out: "Yes he has, and in tougher environments too".

The "$20 for petrol" was a classic fail in that not only was I able to tell the person about the Road Rangers , thanks to an item in the local news. But, because I'd walked around the area in daylight too, I even gave him directions to the nearest church- which could provide help - as he said he was a "Good Christian" as part of his approach.
I think the final action was my turning to put the wall at my back and slipping my walking stick into a an across the body two handed grip. Not only did this bring a possible confederate coming up behind me (who suddenly made himself[?] scarce). This seemed to be accoster's signal to walk off quickly muttering to himself.

In Side, Turkey, we did draw comments from all the other tourists that we were the only ones not bothered by shopkeepers trying to physically pull us into their shops. I said it was because we looked poor, but I think it was more to do with the first day there anyone who grabbed me 'fell over' and anyone who reached for my wife got a tap on the radial or ulnar nerves near the wrist from my walking stick. This only happened a few times, and the other shopkeepers found it very funny as the perpetrators weren't seriously hurt and they looked very silly as they picked themselves up or waited the half-hour or so for full use of their hand to be regained.

It also acted as a notice to the more serious individuals to find someone else to bother. Evidenced by people lurking near hotels and bars in the evening going elsewhere when we were out walking.

Last edited by Ninjahedgewych; 09/04/12 03:16 AM.

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama
Tiger
OP Offline
Tiger
LOL, that walking stick of yours does the trick - awesome!

Yes, when traveling it pays to pay attention to your surroundings - which you did.

Traveling is on by ever getting longer bucket list and I know I will have to do some research before heading anywhere.

Glad to see your wife was okay - nothing like having a man around that knows how to handle things.

As usual, ENJOYED reading your post smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/27/24 08:14 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.