Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#763976 05/22/12 10:55 AM
A
aneate Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hello! I am new to this site so forgive me if I've posted this where I shouldn't. I am fairly new to knitting. I have several projects under my belt and I have decided to move to something more complicated (at least for me) I am making a beanie hat. I am confused on the pattern and decreasing. I completed one but it just doesn't look correct. Before going any further I need some clarification. Here are the instructions: CO 113sts Garter rib stitch: Row 1 (RS) *K2; p1; rep from *, end k2 Row 2 Purl After hat measures 5 3/4" from beg end with WS Next Row (RS) Work in patt over next 12 sts, pm [work in patt over next 22 sts, pm] 4 times, work in patt over next 13 sts Next Row Purl ** I am very clear to this point ** Shape Crown Row 1 (RS) [work in patt to 2 sts before market, k2tog,sm,ssk] 5 times, patt to end - 103 sts Row 2 Purl Rep rows 1 and 2 - 23 sts after row 18 Here's where my confusion is.....how does k2tog and ssk work when I am knitting in pattern? Do I work in pattern until the decreases and continue where I left off, or do I start the pattern over after the decreases? This all sounds confusing to me and I'm not sure I'm explaining it correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
Hi,
I think you start the pattern where it fits, i.e. so it looks like you are just continuing up. So if the pattern is K2, P2, and you just K2, then P2tog, the next stitch would be k2, then p2. kkppkkppkkpkkppkkpp

At least that is what I think, anyone else do it differently?

Can you put the directions for the pattern stitch in the next post?

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
A
aneate Offline OP
OP Offline
A
The pattern is k2,p1 Here are the directions for the 1st row of decreases: [Work in patt to 2 sts before marker, k2tog,sm,ssk] 5 times, patt to end This is how I did it: kkpkkpkkpk(k2tog,sm,ssk)kpkkpkkpkkpkkpkkpkkpk(k2tog,sm,ssk)kpkkpkkp..... Basically, when I k2tog and ssk I did not incorporate those in to the pattern. Then, I just picked up where I left off after the decreases. Should I have started the pattern over after decreases? Thank you for your help!!

Gecko
Gecko
So
kkpkkpkkpk(k2tog,sm,ssk)kpkkpkkpkkpkkpkkpkkpk(k2tog,sm,ssk)kpkkpkkp Row 1
and if you were to knit the next row even it would look like this?
kkpkkpkkpk,(K,sm,K),kpkkpkkpkkpkkpkkpkkpk,(K,sm,K),kpkkpkkp

Three knits in a row? I think that is the way it works... So the next decrease row would be:
kkpkkpkkp,(Ktog, sm, ssk),pkkpkkpkkpkkpkkpkkp,(Ktog, sm, ssk),pkkpkkp

I think, how does it look? What is the name of the pattern?

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
A
aneate Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I will try that - thanks!! This is so confusing, but I know once I do it correctly I will wonder why I had such a hard time understanding it :D The pattern is called Ski Beanie - it was out of a book

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
The mirrored decreases in the pattern and the way that Margeknits wrote should make the beanie look right. When you get closer to the top of the beanie, it will look like some of the vertical knit ridges overtake the others, while maintaining a definite pattern. She had good input on that!
By picking up the pattern when you are done with the decreases, you should be on track with your beanie! Be sure to let us know how it turns out!

Lisa Linnell-Olsen
Knitting Website
Knitting Forum
A
aneate Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Finished this weekend and it looks great!!! Thank you SO much for your help!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/27/24 08:14 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.