Next Thread
Print Thread
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I always want to give to charities, particularly animal ones, but have problems supporting my own self. I often wonder when does charity to one's self end and to others begin? What do people think? In this poor economy, especially?

For example, right now I am cleaning out my storage sheds. I have a LOT of STUFF. Nice things that others could use. It is a lot of effort to sell them, but I could use the cash.

On the other hand, I could just as easily donate these things to Goodwill, Big Brother/Big Sister, the Humane Society and such. I would be helping others and saving myself time, frustration and worry. I'd even save money by being able to leave here more quickly and not have to pay top dollar for the RV parks in this town.

It sounds like an allover win-win, right? But then I keep thinking I could really use the extra money.

What do folks think?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I know what you mean! Sometimes it takes more time and effort to sell used stuff than it is worth. Especially if you are trying to get rid of it as quickly as possible. I like to think of donations as "paying it forward", "casting your bread upon the waters", or "what goes round comes round". Good deeds never go to waste. So, move that stuff out of there and get on the road!

T
Amoeba
Amoeba
T
I agree that it's often challenging, especially today, to pay our own bills -- let alone worry about someone else's. I think that's why the urge to give that we all, as human beings, feel at one point or another, can be fulfilled in many ways. Donating gently used items is an easy way to be helpful without actually opening a wallet or taking time away from our own busy lives. If you found the time to have a garage sale, you could donate a portion of what you make to charity and that might satisfy your need to "give back." Or, maybe you just set aside certain things (usable clothing, housewares, shoes) and donate these items to organizations in need and then just sell your other items.

Here are some articles that might help you come up with a way you can be charitable to others without taking away from your own needs.
Small But Meaningful Donations
You Can Be Charitable Despite Tough Economy

And then, here are some thoughts about how you can help organizations raise money just by playing on your computer. Couldn't be easier!
Have Fun, Raise Funds
Raise Funds by Browsing the Internet

Happy Giving!

Tricia Krietzberg, Charity Editor
Charity Website
Charity Forum

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Thank you for your insights Tricia and Claybird. I have been really wrestling with all this - money is so tight and I don't know when it will finally get better. I keep waiting and hoping that certain projects pay out. It's been depressing.

My compromise: my mother and her friend are coming out here to help me have a garage sale. My mom said she would take two bins for me to keep in her garage. Maybe three. (of things that I really do not want to let go of, like my grandmother's milk glass)

What is left after the G-sale we will simply pack up and give to charity. Done. I feel good about this plan. It was a great burden to handle all this myself and having my family help me is such a tremendous relief. And I am sure that much will be left over for charity (It's all housewares and furniture, no clothing or shoes).

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Well, just an update. The garage sale never happened and I still have all this stuff. I actually can't have a garage sale - this is a hidden street, for one thing.

So i am still stuck not knowing if i should sell this stuff individually or just start getting stuff off to charities.

B
B
Look before you leap!!!!!

A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
Charity begins at home. Pay your bills with what you can sell and then do what you can for others. Craigslist is a free place to advertise.If you don't take care of yourself, how can you care for others?? dave

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.