Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark

Last edited by Suzanne-Pro-Choice Editor; 11/01/11 08:08 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I understand and respect your perspective. However, this feels a trap. It jumps off the page. Here is why I say that.

This sentence is bugging me: "Under this law, coercion to abort includes threatening to discontinue financial support, threatening divorce, assault or threats of physical violence."

Discontinue Financial Support: So, say you have a female who has had a casual encounter, has been raped, or simply has a steady boyfriend. There are no inherent financial commitments in place in such situations. The way this reads it would only be actionable to married couples, where there are already such rules in place.

Threatening Divorce: How is the court system to know that divorce wasn't already discussed? People who don't care for one another still engage in sexual activity. Also, there are arguments such as, the female got pregnant to keep the marriage together even though they had agreed to divorce when it could be afforded, and so on. There are numerous possibilities here rendering this argument non actionable. He said, She said, is not a valid argument in the court system.

And, the true danger ...

Physical Violence: This is already a crime in its own right. To tangle an act that is already a crime into financial responsibility and threatening divorce is a recipe for disaster. For victims of violent crimes the last thing they may want is to be financially connected to their abuser. This is just an open doorway for more abuse. A male who pays support is then entitled, by law, parental considerations - abusive or no. Moreover, if the abuser's end game is to threaten divorce most females, in the end, will discover that was a blessing. This spares herself from further abuse and protects the child from the behavior as well. Then there is the dangerous marital Catch 22 where the abuser brings victim to court to legally keep her in an abusive marriage.

This rule gives the air of sounding productive. However, it seems to me all its doing is tangling up the law system over the only actionable illegal act on that list (abuse/violence). Basically, it reads as a way to keep abused women ... abused, which works out great for the court system as it ensures job security.

Females would be financially obligated to capitulate to their abuser, potentially exposing a child in the process and if she is already married to her abuser it creates a loophole for the abuser to keep her in an unhealthy marriage.

This act resonates as a way for non pro choice lobbyists to generate a backdoor using (what they believe to be) pretty words.

Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

I look forward to reading your comments.

The evolution of humankind can be measured by how its animals are treated.

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter

Moderated by  Suzanne-Pro-Choice Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.