#712461 09/05/11 12:22 AM
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

I had to evacuate my home this afternoon.

I live in a pine / oak forest between two state parks, on a Christmas tree farm. It's beautiful here. A horrific wildfire broke out this afternoon - worst drought on record, very high winds - and I had to evacuate my home.

The fire's now destroyed more than 16,000 acres, several hundred homes, is 16 miles long, 4 miles wide, and spreading like crazy. Satellite and doppler radar images show the smoke cloud almost 100 miles long. A windy but dry cool front is expected just after midnight, making tomorrow's weather conditions even more volatile but probably no cooler than the high 90s. Search Twitter for #bastrop and #txfire for updates.

We've had more than 80 days of 100+ temps since May. Texas has had many wildfires this summer but the officials are calling this one a fire of 'biblical proportion.' That's not a very cool record to hold but it's so ugly I hope it isn't broken elsewhere. Ever.

I'm safe and I've got my two beloved dogs here with me but I couldn't find the cat when I had to leave. I miss her terribly and hope I can find her safe and healthy when I'm allowed back in the area. I've got plenty of her food and her favorite treats with me. I just hope I get to feed them to her someday very soon.

The men who stayed behind to fight the fire said they'd watch for her but they've got a lot of things on their mind. The Christmas tree farm burned early this evening. I don't know the status of my home but I do many neighbors' homes are gone. Last I heard about my house was that's it's still OK . . . for now. That was several hours ago.

Funny how I woke up expecting an uneventful, boring day. I know that I'll wake up tomorrow to a whole new life.

If you had a two-minute warning to leave your home, possibly forever, what would you take?

Sandy Hemphill, Cocktails Editor
Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Just got the call. My house will soon be gone.

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Ah no Sandy...

God I'm just well with you in Spirit. I've lost a home before and it's nice, I mean they mean well, when people say sorry to hear it. But inside it's like, well, a different planet, really. I know 2 other people, personally, now 3, that have lost their homes, due to fire, finances, flood, etc.

Are you set temporarily?

You asked above what would you bring if you have 2 minutes to evacuate a home. Due to my past experience, I usually have a duffle with a plastic hygeine bag, pj's, underwear, sweats, shorts, t-shirts, jeans, tenni-shoes a few sodas, water bottles, ear plugs, mask and small blanket.

On my way out the door however. I'd probably grab a bottle of Vodka this time around, the cash I have in the house jar, my laptop and purse.

I don't have any animals right now, but I used to. Before any of my own stuff, I'd always have a bag and dishes for them though in the car just in case.

Please keep in touch and let us know how it's going ((virtual hugs))!

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Oh Sandy what an absolutely horrible experience for you and everyone else there, how I wish that there was some way to help you. Thank goodness you are OK that is the main thing, and you managed to take your loved dogs. Cats are clever creatures, they seem to have an inbuilt antenna for avoiding danger, am sure yours will be by you soon munching away on those treats.

What to take with just two minutes notice you asked in your first post��.when the boys were small and at home it would have been them, these days it would be rounding up pets as far as possible, the last photo of my mother and father together and those of the boys when small which are always in one place and are irreplaceable, nothing else would be important.

In an emergency somehow �what is really important� seems obvious.

You take care, I am far away but you are in my thoughts and I do so hope things turn out to be better than they seem at the moment................we still have all those moon cocktails to work through. smile

Francine

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 09/05/11 02:03 AM.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Your post makes me laugh - and I'm loving it. I'm set tonight but hadn't really, really expected to worry too much about too many tomorrow nights. I'll think about other tomorrows tomorrow.

The duffle? I grabbed my computer, which is really my office; provisions for my two dogs and my missing cat; and some clothes. All my favorite clothes were dirty so I grabbed the dirty clothes hamper before checking out the closet. Never thought about shoes. I've got a pair of flip-flops I like a lot but I've also got two sisters and a mother who all have the same style (basically) and we're the same size. The clean clothes I ended up with? Two bras and two skirts - it can only get better from here. My emergency duffle will be much better stocked from tomorrow forward.

The vodka? Didn't have any but had just received a couple bottles of Glenfiddich Scotch for review articles. Grabbed them. Expect a doozy of a review in the next week or so.

More soon.

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Thank you, Francine! I've never had children so the pets are very important to me. And I agree with you about feline prowess. My Roxie is amazing, probably better equipped to deal with this than any of the rest of us. I expect to see her as soon as I can return to the area. I just wish she were here now. That mothering instinct lives even in those of us who aren't mothers. Thank God for pets!!

As I keep reviewing what I SHOULD have taken in my two minutes to gather up my life, I am grateful that most of the treasures, keepsakes, and family heirlooms are in the custody of my sisters, who are not endangered by this fire. The things I'll be losing weren't important to anybody else but me. The thought has run through my mind repeatedly that this is the chance to totally - TOTALLY - reinvent myself from the ground up. The big question I keep getting is: Who do I want to be now?

And you know what is so amazing I'm taken aback by it all? Someone has started a Facebook page today - Okay in Bastrop County - and, through it, I've reconnected with people I thought were lost to me. Silver linings are there.

More tomorrow. I think I can finally get some sleep now. I love you all for reading this and I especially love you all who've commented.

Thank you!

Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I'll bet, lol. Glad you're keeping Spirits up. I guess I'd also be packing the asprin too.

Your cat? In general, they really have great instincts when it comes to disasters. I've seen it a hundred times. They use their senses pretty much before the disaster gets to our front porch. So, I'll bet she knows what she's doing.

Oddly enough, tonight about 1:00 am here, there was a stray cat out by the dumpster. After I took my garbage out, I set a nice tray of corned beef out for him. We never have strays out here either.

I'm glad your able to communicate and you've family near by. Keep us posted smile

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Sandy, all this has happened while I slept. Just having a look at forums and emails while drinking my tea, before I leave for work. I'm glad that you and the dogs are safe - after all, you promised them a romp on the Moon! But so sorry to hear that your cat was missing. Currently, I don't have any pets, but I'd be a sniffly wreck about the cat if it were me. And yet, I agree that cats are canny survivors, so got my fingers cross for you there. (And just try touch typing with your fingers crossed!)

I knew someone who said if the house were on fire the only thing she'd try to save - except for the kids - were the photo albums. And I met someone who actually had to get out quickly (war, not wildfire, they lived in Beirut) and it was kids, important documents, everyone told to grab own change of clothes AND she took the family photo albums.

Must dash now, have a meeting at 9.00, but didn't want to leave without getting in touch.

Hugs.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Was the cat micro-chipped? She could easily end up in shelter or with animal lovers who will get this checked and let you know. Fire, rescue, and forces personnel tend to be big animal lovers as do their support crews so you probably have the best people looking our for her.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I just love our editors! They're really there when you need them and genuinely so!

There's a lot of positive thoughts and energy behind you. And I'll bet you're an old Soul for that matter as well dealing with what life tends to throw at you over the years. smile

Last edited by Elleise - Clairvoyance; 09/05/11 03:33 AM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.