Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Linda19 Offline OP
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
I was watering the garden yesterday, a bumble bee buzzed around, a butterfly flew by and a sparrow was sitting in the elder flower tree singing its heart out.

I wondered about the honey bees and as I did one came and had a good rummage around in my blue borage flowers. It had pollen sacks on its legs and yellow dust on its hairy body.

I wondered where its hive could be and how much pollen from my garden had gone into the feeding and making of honey in that hive.

Today my garden is full of birds and other flying things. The dogs are enjoying it too.

Last edited by Linda - Islam; 07/05/11 07:50 AM.

Linda Heywood

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Linda,
Would so like to join you in your garden! It really sounds fab. Makes any effort, any effort at all worth the while and the wonder of nature is brought so into focus it can knock a person back. I wish this feeling of euphoria for anyone contemplating starting any kind of a garden; even thinking about growing or buying or nurturing just one pot.

We have a very soft drizzle today (odd weather for Johanneasburg winter) which the plants and the garden are loving - glistening with approval. Want some hot sun soon to capitalise on it all, and we will probably get it soon. What sort of flower would I be if I had a choice? Anyone except a cabbage. Ag shame. I would like to be a rose but a daisy or a herb would do as well.

Cheers

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
A
Parakeet
Parakeet
A
Hi Linda!! I don't know much about honey bees except that they are an extremely important part of the function of vegetation on earth. What I do know is that when my wife hangs the hummingbird feeders out in the spring the honey bees gather around and drink as much as the birds do. I used to try to scare them away as sometimes they are at odds with the hummers but I just let them alone now. Maybe they need that nectar and if it will help their population to be sustainable I will continue to feed them. Does anyone have any ideas about this? If this has been covered in a previous post please let me know. Today has been a little busy. dave

Linda19 Offline OP
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Hi Dave,

Honey is the best source of nutrition from them if feeding and bee keepers always hold some back for the bees to use in the winter until everything come into bloom.

I only know this because I have a friend who keeps a hive.

Yes, Lestie come and join me in my garden, I would love some company. If I was a flower I would be an Iris or an evening primrose flower.

I hope it rains later so I don't have to do it!

Linda Heywood

Linda19 Offline OP
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
I heard this today in reference to the rich:

Those who eat the honey don't need to meet the bees.

Yesterday, I was out in the meadow behind my house,throwing a stick for Murphy Jones. I was wearing sandal, and I stood on a bee. I had to hop back to the house. I was yelling, Murphy was barking, and I final sat down and pulled out the sting.

I had to get my glasses to see what I was doing, that is why I didn't just pull the sting out when I got stung.

We poured vinegar on it, sprinkled bicarbonate of soda on it, because one of them is for bee stings the other for wasp stings! Eventually the pain went away, and now it just itches madly.

I hope it was not a honey bee!

Linda Heywood

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.