Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Hmm, I saw some catnip for a good price at my CVS. I think I will get some and try it. I assume it is safe for kittens?

Your dogs are gorgeous! Yes, I am totally a pet person. Right now I have a dog, at cat and a kitten.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Deb, thank you for the beta on the Camp verde feed store. I'll look into that. it would be nice to use something like that instead of toxins. Although I fear I will need toxins for the termites.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Okay, I went to the feed store today and bought the diatom earth. It was not cheap - 11 bucks for 2 pounds. But maybe for my needs a little will go a long way.

Thinking how to begin. I can rub into my kitten's fur for starters.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Okay, I just created a thread of its own for DE - frugal uses for diatomaceous earth

It needs help, please! smile

Last edited by Jilly; 06/11/11 11:02 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Wow! You guys have some great tips! Here are a few of mine...

Check the discount veggie/fruit/bread section of the grocery store. The veggies and fruit are good for cooking.

Meals for the week are usually based on what is on sale at the grocery store. This especially holds true for meat and veggies since I don�t get coupons for these items.

I make my own salad dressings, croutons and breadcrumbs. Not only cheaper, plus a great way to use old bread, but much healthier than store bought.

I keep glass jars from sauce etc. to make my dressings.

I do grow most of my spices but there a lot that are very unique that I do buy but I try to buy at a bulk spice store.

My coffee grinds end up in the garden for my roses. I believe coffee grinds are also good for tomatoes.

Like Jilly no cable � over the air broadcast, hulu and Netflix.

I just started using vinegar and baking soda for cleaning and I love it! I still use bleach in my laundry for my sheets but that is mainly because I am allergic to dust mites. (Though I do love the smell of my sheets and towels after being washed in bleach...smells SO clean).

Thought of one more...in the winter I make my own bread and rolls.

Last edited by Allison_PCAdvice; 06/11/11 11:04 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Allison,

Vinegar and Borax will was out dust mites - also - you can put down DE on your bed and pillows and then zip them with hypo-allergenic bags. That will kill dust mites, spiders, bed bugs - the whole shabam smile

Last edited by Deb - Animal Life; 06/11/11 11:49 PM.

I look forward to reading your comments.

The evolution of humankind can be measured by how its animals are treated.

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Jilly I'm gonna post this information into this thread too so people can find it.

This is a great option for cost effective Food grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE)

Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade 50 Lb

Anybody who is into green living without having to pay the green for living - this is the way to go for DE if you don't have a reasonable feed store in your area.

Jilly is also running a thread on DE in Frugal Living if anybody is looking for tips, tricks, suggestions be sure to check it out.

I look forward to reading your comments.

The evolution of humankind can be measured by how its animals are treated.

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Allison, those are great tips! My store does not seem to have a soft/bruised fruit produce section, which i find to be a pity. I can always find uses for perfectly good fruit with a bad spot.

I do go right to the clearance sections of stores though to see what might be new. Usually there is nothing I want, but if you are persistent you can pick up the perfect deal.

I keep the food jars as well from many things. It's like getting a free jar with purchase when you think about it. I never have enough containers, it seems. smile

I want to come over for your homemade breads! Mmmmm. Do you have any tips/recipes for frugal salad dressings to share?

J
J

C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
One frugal tip that I have is to know where your local recycle shops are.

In the Eastern Kansas?Western Missouri (KC) area we have a place called Surplus Exchange. They take in computers and refurbish them.They also take in stray office furniture that is looking for a home. Maybe they should be called Office Furniture Rescue! LOL. Seriously, you can get all kinds of file cabinets, executive desks, and chairs there!

I once had a principal who would not get desks for my class. He got me some tables, and the kids spent all of their time kicking and elbowing each other, because the tables were too small! I went to Surplus Exchange and bought the desks myself for about $50! Eventually, I was reimbursed.

Anyhow, I was looking for notebooks to hold my resources for Algebra classes that I'm teaching this year. I want one for each quarter, and I'm teaching 3 classes=12 notebooks.

At an office supply store, the kind that I wanted sell for $5-$11 each. Teachers don't make enough to spend $60-100 on binders! I went to Surplus Exchange, a nice little field trip that took about an hour, and bought about 20 binders. How much did I pay? $2.15! Not apiece, $2.15 total--for all 20!

Now that's frugal!

The other place that I love is J.C. Penney Outlet. I have saved thousands of dollars there.

For men's shirts, there is a little thrift store in downtown KCK. It has wonderful bargains--and new or nearly new, too.

It just pays to know where to get what!

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.