logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
G
Disagreement is how people learn from each other! I always enjoy it, as you say when it's intelligent conversation....the other kind just makes me want to go nuts! :-)

Gina Cowley, Women's Issues Editor
Women's Issues
Sponsored Post Advertisement
I voted yes...I am a feminist.I believe that all women should be treated as equal in all facets of life.

B
Gecko
Gecko
B
Hi, Michelle.

I came across this post late, obviously. You know, I AM a feminist and I agree with you completely. I don't know when feminism came to be associated with anti-traditional-femininity. I think it's about *choice* for both men and women - that all of us should have the same options. Sometimes the more vocal among us embarass me completely.

Barbara Sharpe

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hi, I just came across this post too, but thought I would chime in. I voted yes in the poll, but hesitated, for all the reasons mentioned above. I especially dislike the 'mommy wars' and all the books out there on this topic - you know, all the 'working moms' vs. 'SAHM' media and books out there - and unfortunately I do think some of the feminist rhetoric from the 70s and 80s contributed to the tone of that debate. But I think that is moving into the past. I think there are lots of women now who identify themselves as feminists and are SAHMs, and embrace femininity etc., and represent a variety of political and religious views also.

I was just reading an interesting book called Taking Back God: American Women Rising Up For Religious Equality that is kind of related to this. The author interviewed Christian, Jewish and Islamic American women who all consider themselves very devout, but also identify as feminists in the sense that they have problems (to varying degrees) with the restrictions placed on women within their faiths. So they are working to change things, and working to reconcile their faiths and their feminism.

Lisa Erickson, Buddhism Editor
Buddhism Site
Teaching and Private Session Website: Enlightened Energetics
Blog: Mommy Mystic
D
D
[quote=calligrapher]I do not consider myself a feminist. What my ancestors did for the feminine my more recent predecessors have made very ugly. I just don't like what feminism represents anymore, to selfish and too much 'me'ism' in an effort to feminize even that which should not be feminine. Does that make sense? I have changed my mind after watching behaviors I found appalling I guess. And I am not that old, so that can't be it. [/quote] I agree with you, it seems like women who are feminist just thinks that they should outdo me. The idea of being feminist has changed throught ime.

V
V
I'm a feminist AND a non-feminist. Like someone said before me, balance is the key. If you lean too much on one side of the feminism and non-feminism debate, you're probably losing some of your strengths as a woman. We have the power to be both strong AND feminine (not to be confused with "feminist"). That's another thing, some people tend to confuse the world feminine and feminist, when the two words are different, yet somehow connected as well. But they still need to be distinguished.

C
Shark
Shark
C
Be careful of whom you vote for. Weiner, for example.

Cindy L Merrill
Shark
Shark
Nope. I'm not a feminist or masculinist. Each individual has the right to be what they want and do what they want, provided there's no harm to others.
I'm glad my honey fixes the car, takes out the trash and is handy with electronics and computers.
I'm glad to make most of the meals, laundry and 80% of the housework.
I'm glad to occasionally check the oil and change the anti-freeze in the car.
I'm glad Al loads the dishwasher and sweeps the floor occasionally.
Each person has their likes and dislikes. To me Feminism means being an aggressive activist. Being angry, self-righteous, judgmental and man hating. I'm none of those things. Don't get me wrong--like I said to each their own, but Feminism is so NOT my cup of tea.

Tiger
Tiger
LOL, I like my doors being opened and my man paying for our dates. Now as far as being independent just in case he dies or leaves me for some other woman - that is ME. The word "feminist" can sometimes be taken to the extreme. Now I have nothing against any woman that wants to get under her car for example and work on it, but that is so not ME. If I don't have a man in my life at the time I need the car repair, the car gets parked in my driveway until I can afford to pay someone to fix it. I LOVE BEING a pampered LADY wink

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Barbara - Women's Issues 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.