Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

A symbol of spring, �Spargelzeit�, the white asparagus season in Germany. The much loved white stalks known as �The Royal Vegetable or �Das Koenigliche Gemuese�, that are harvested and enjoyed for two months from around the middle of April until June 24th, St. John the Baptist�s feast day.

�The Germans are crazy about asparagus, which shows their good sense,� wrote a famous European chef in a recipe book I happened to own. However only knowing, and even enjoying, �green asparagus�, was not so sure about that as I sat on a Berlin Balcony, recipe book open, trying to come to grips with my first batch of Germany�s white variety.

It was sandy, the correct spot had to be found where the hard tasteless piece of the spear could be broken off leaving only the edible part, and then it had to be peeled from tip to bottom with one of the weirdest gadgets I had ever tried to use.

But once cooked the resulting taste was memorable and worth every ounce of effort.

Germany's White Asparagus Season, Spargelzeit is the latest German Culture article.

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 04/26/11 11:39 AM.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
This is awesome Francine, "white" is just the color for this season. Thanks for the info, learn't something neat today smile
Originally Posted By: Francine - German Culture

A symbol of spring, �Spargelzeit�, the white asparagus season in Germany. The much loved white stalks known as �The Royal Vegetable or �Das Koenigliche Gemuese�, that are harvested and enjoyed for two months from around the middle of April until June 24th, St. John the Baptist�s feast day.

�The Germans are crazy about asparagus, which shows their good sense,� wrote a famous European chef in a recipe book I happened to own. However only knowing, and even enjoying, �green asparagus�, was not so sure about that as I sat on a Berlin Balcony, recipe book open, trying to come to grips with my first batch of Germany�s white variety.

It was sandy, the correct spot had to be found where the hard tasteless piece of the spear could be broken off leaving only the edible part, and then it had to be peeled from tip to bottom with one of the weirdest gadgets I had ever tried to use.

But once cooked the resulting taste was memorable and worth every ounce of effort.

Germany's White Asparagus Season, Spargelzeit is the latest German Culture article.

P
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
P
When I was over in Germany visiting my fiance in May a few years ago, we picked up an envelope to make a dish with white asparagus in it. It was delicious. I know we wrapped the what asparagus in ham and rolled it and then poured this mixture over it. Now we can't find it anymore. If anyone knows of this and how to order it please let me know.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

It is possible to buy the ready to make sauce mix in packets and tubs PJK6, German American online stores carry it for example, but it costs a fortune.

The sauce used in Germany on asparagus is a Hollandaise Sauce, which is delicious and so popular on all types of fish and vegetables that it is available in many different pre-prepared mixes, and that makes life very simple indeed. But the sauce is easy, and quick to make oneself, of course much less expensive and it does actually taste even better.

There are two great recipes on BellaOnline

On the Quick Cooking Site

Quick Classic Hollandaise Recipe

And on the Cajun & Creole Site

Basic Hollandaise Sauce Recipe

The way you describe your meal is one of the classic German ways of serving asparagus, along with the spears and sauce served separately and a choice of ham and/or hard boiled eggs.

It is just a shame the season is short, asparagus is so tasty I wish it was around for much longer, but there are still a few weeks left so still time for you to try out the recipes.

Good Luck!

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Moderated by  Francine - German Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.