#682480 04/29/11 07:15 PM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Who will become the next King of England?

There is talk about Prince Charles being passed over in favor of Prince William. Is this true?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Was told years ago Lori, by a friend who was an astrologer herself, that some astrologers had said when Charles was born that he would not be king, but can not see that situation arising. Unless of course he dies before the Queen.

There are mixed feelings about him, in many ways am sure he is misunderstood, but he has �blotted his copy book� as we say, quite a few times, especially with the way be treated his first wife but that is not the only reason.

If he becomes King and tries to make Camilla P-B Queen can imagine there will be a bit of a ruckus.

Diane was so loved, here in Europe as well as in the UK, and William and Harry both seem to have inherited her �good qualities�, and her ability to relate to people and situations.

Asha will know the UK feeling better than I do, and they are the people it will affect, but generally in Germany there is quite a bit of personal, public and media comment for a move towards the �skipping� of a generation, putting a whole new face on the monarchy, and bringing it in to what will be whole different era, with William. Even more especially now he has his �Catherine�.

But unless something dramatic happens do not think this could, or would, take place. He has waited a long time, can not see the Prince of Wales giving up his chance to be 'in the sun', and can understand that.

Think the present Queen has done an incredible job though, she is greatly admired here too, and she will be missed terribly.

But for an 85 year old she looked amazing at the wedding don't you think? As if she could go on forever.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Speaking of astrology, I thought I read somewhere that Charles will not be king. And very soon, the monarchy will be abolished entirely.

As for the Queen...Long live the Queen!

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Gosh if you are right Lori, then Camilla will be very cross.

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
...still?

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

LOL..........Yes, definitely 'still'!

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
There was speculation after it became clear in England that Charles had a mistress - Mrs Parker Bowles - and had from the start of his marriage to Diana, that the English public would never accept him as King, and after Diana's death, would certainly not accept Camilla as his queen.

However there is no constitutional grounds for this, and historically English kings had mistresses. Henry VIII famously chopped one of his wives' heads off when he wanted to exchange her for yet another model - and she was his mistress to begin with - ie Anne Boleyn.

OK - I know times have changed but Camilla's ancestor - her great gran I think - was Edward VII's mistress, her name was Alice Keppel, and unlike Camilla's public reception when it was known she was Charles' mistress, in Edwardian times (the early 1900s) Mrs Keppel was a national favourite - she was called 'La Favorita'.

The British public now seems to have taken Camilla to their heart's - I think they feel that as she is - and always was - Charles' true love, then it may be better if the royal families make love matches, not arranged matches - as was his match with Diana Spencer, who was young, fertile, of aristocratic lineage, and a virgin.

Now we have seen that those rules no longer apply - as Catherine Middleton will be Queen of England, (hers is a love match with William, they have been together for ten years (with a little break) and she is not from a noble family). Though not, I imagine, before Camilla holds the title of Queen.

Unless Charles chooses not too, or he dies before his mother, his waiting will be over and he will be crowned King of England - it would be odd if he were not.

Last edited by Eileen Brit TV; 05/03/11 02:44 PM.

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
Tiger
Tiger
I hope they pass over Charles - did not appreciate how he and his now wife treated Diana. I love the fact that the kids are living their lives their way and hopefully stay true to their ladies. Hey, cheating sometimes run in families smile Hope more of Diana is in the boys and not Charles. Camilla was UGLY and getting uglier by the minute. Sorry, but never liked her. Miss Diana...

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 05/06/11 03:29 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
The boys seem to have inherited the 'common' touch - the ability to reach out in a genuine way to ordinary and also to disadvantaged people.

Charles was very much guided by his parents in marrying Diana - and that generation's influence will soon be gone for good. The Duke of Edinburgh has also been accused of 'playing away', incidentally shocked .

Though marrying for love is no guarantee of the longevity of a marriage - Princess Anne divorced Mark Phillips and Prince Edward divorced Sarah Ferguson. Hopefully after 10 years of partnership William and Kate will be a good fit - it would be nice to see ANY famous couple 'make it' in marriage.

Last edited by Eileen Brit TV; 05/09/11 03:41 PM.

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
Tiger
Tiger
I just found out about Arnold and Marie Shriver. I think that couples need to be careful about getting into a routine with each other. Spice it up, develop stuff you do on your own = don't be attached to each other's hips and so on. My boyfriend and myself are on our 3rd year and I am determined to keep it different. It does help that we are both in our 50's, kids all grown and very independent. He is my best friend and lover smile
Originally Posted By: Eileen Brit TV
The boys seem to have inherited the 'common' touch - the ability to reach out in a genuine way to ordinary and also to disadvantaged people.

Charles was very much guided by his parents in marrying Diana - and that generation's influence will soon be gone for good. The Duke of Edinburgh has also been accused of 'playing away', incidentally shocked .

Though marrying for love is no guarantee of the longevity of a marriage - Princess Anne divorced Mark Phillips and Prince Edward divorced Sarah Ferguson. Hopefully after 10 years of partnership William and Kate will be a good fit - it would be nice to see ANY famous couple 'make it' in marriage.

Koala
Koala
As long as Charles has done his duties I don't think the queen would insult him by not making him king unless he chooses not to be king. I'd rather seen his son, being a real human being become king. Abolishing the monarchy would save millions if not billions, good idea, but don't see it happening soon.

Tiger
Tiger
I think when the queen mother dies, things will change. My island (Jamaica, West Indies) used to be under her before we got our independence. Girl, it was a total TRIP being under British rule smile
Originally Posted By: Diana-Exotic Pets Editor
As long as Charles has done his duties I don't think the queen would insult him by not making him king unless he chooses not to be king. I'd rather seen his son, being a real human being become king. Abolishing the monarchy would save millions if not billions, good idea, but don't see it happening soon.

Koala
Koala
I bet it was, I can't even imagine it. Nothing drastic changes in the states, a new president, a new game plan that is about it. Politicians can't make a new budget because they are afraid of not being reelected but college students came up with a perfect budget to get the country out of the hole. (AARP mag) I would be interested in learning what it was like living under British rule, the highlights. I heard a rumor that is why this country was formed, to get out of their paws!

Tiger
Tiger
It is very "regimented" - everything has to go by tradition. I was a child back then, I am now 52. But from what I can remember, they had so many folks with titles it was ridiculous. And the queen would be running things from England (lol). Everything, and I mean everything had to be OKAYED by her. Too much power that lady has and that has been causing problems. England has to come out of the "dark ages" and let changes come into the country. Now I do love the fanfare - the carriages and the dresses and so on. But the traditions need to be updated - the younger generation is not going to stand for it much longer. Personally, I have always had an issue with too much "control" and under the British ruling caused our island to lose our identity which thank goodness was regained with our independence. A few islands are still under her thumb and it is so sad as it is like "island Britain" instead of the "island"(lol). While in school I was taught British History, now they are teaching Jamaican History which was needed in order to not lose our culture and past. Oh, girl, the pounds - shillings - pence was a royal (get my wording/lol) pain. Now we have Jamaican dollars and cents like the United States.

Last edited by Angela J. Shirley; 05/15/11 10:52 PM.
Koala
Koala
Shirley it sounds more like Jamaican dollars and sense! Jamaica has such a rich history. Even under British rule it should have been in the classroom. I think when the queen is gone, (hmm wonder what vitamins she takes wink I personally think she has been mummified alive. There will be a lot of changes.

Tiger
Tiger
U so funny!!!!! Yes, she seems to be hanging around FOREVER smile
Originally Posted By: Diana-Exotic Pets Editor
Shirley it sounds more like Jamaican dollars and sense! Jamaica has such a rich history. Even under British rule it should have been in the classroom. I think when the queen is gone, (hmm wonder what vitamins she takes wink I personally think she has been mummified alive. There will be a lot of changes.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Am not a royalist particularly, some of the extended Royal Family are hopeless cases, but do admire Queen Elizabeth who is currently on a historic official visit to Ireland. From a very young age, 25 when she ascended the throne, she has always shown a strength of character, duty and loyalty that are not self evident these days.

And as a living example that �age is just a number�, both she and her husband Prince Philip are incredible advertisements for what a present day 85+ human being is capable. He is 90 in June.

She is a figure head with very little real power, but to say she is much admired is an understatement. Her mother, the Queen Mother, lived to over one hundred and I think a great many people are hoping she does the same.

By the time she became queen times were changing, and it was not she personally who ruled the West Indies or anywhere else in the Empire or Commonwealth, she was the figure head the ruling was done by local officials of the British Government and Foreign Office, usually, but not always, following orders from London.

Just as still happens in French colonies now. The French have not ceded power in the same way the British did, basically many of their former colonies are still run from Paris and because of this in some ways their former colonies in Africa and other places are in a better position, for the normal person actually living in them, than former British colonies which are being ruled totally independently by their own people without any outside interference.

This seems to have led to corruption, poverty and deprivation for the populations of these countries, and with few exceptions little that is positive.

Life and schooling was very rigid everywhere until the seventies really, when it seems things started slowly to loosen up after the 1968 �student� revolution, and this applied to everywhere in Europe and countries attached to Europe in one way or another.

Without doubt you should have had access to Jamaican history lessons while at school Angela, but as with so much in school life in any country, much is down to the quality of teachers and direction.

My eldest son attended an International School in Brussels, a school system designed for children coming from different international backgrounds, at the time there were 50 countries involved, yet for two years of their curriculum all they were taught about the past was American history, nothing about Europe the continent in which they were living, Africa, Asia etc. It only changed when one US principal left and another, also from the US but with a different outlook on life and education, took over. And this was not so very long ago. .

The royal family cost each tax payer 61 pence a year, less than $1, a total of �37 million, and the amount that is brought in by tourism alone, because of the family and the pageantry involved, far exceeds this figure. While those that cost the most from that sum of money are not the Queen or Prince Philip her husband, who actually work the hardest, but the Prince of Wales, Charles, and his brother Andrew.

As for Charles being King, why not if he has the chance, it won�t be for long anyway. He is misjudged in many ways but has brought much of that on himself, however Camilla as Queen������I don�t think so, she is quite probably the thoroughly �nice� person her friends say she is, and she certainly seems to have made Charles happier, but that popular she isn�t and is never likely to be.

The myth is that Charles and Camilla were forced apart by his father and courtiers because of her rather �racy� background for the times, it seems it was a bit too late for her to be a virgin bride, but that is not the whole story.

She admits to having said to Charles �My great-great-grandmother was your great-great-grandfather�s mistress, so how about it?� which she duly became, and Charles apparently asked her to wait for him until he finished his tour of duty in 1976, he was in the navy and had to fulfill his military engagement just as Princes William and Harry do now, however she decided to marry an ex-boyfriend of Charles�s sister Princess Anne instead.

They both had their chances and they blew them, but nevertheless they kept their relationship active, and in the end an innocent 19 year old, and her children, suffered because of it.

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 05/19/11 06:19 AM.

Tiger
Tiger
Girl, you know your stuff. Thanks for sharing with us smile
Originally Posted By: Francine - German Culture

Am not a royalist particularly, some of the extended Royal Family are hopeless cases, but do admire Queen Elizabeth who is currently on a historic official visit to Ireland. From a very young age, 25 when she ascended the throne, she has always shown a strength of character, duty and loyalty that are not self evident these days.

And as a living example that �age is just a number�, both she and her husband Prince Philip are incredible advertisements for what a present day 85+ human being is capable. He is 90 in June.

She is a figure head with very little real power, but to say she is much admired is an understatement. Her mother, the Queen Mother, lived to over one hundred and I think a great many people are hoping she does the same.

By the time she became queen times were changing, and it was not she personally who ruled the West Indies or anywhere else in the Empire or Commonwealth, she was the figure head the ruling was done by local officials of the British Government and Foreign Office, usually, but not always, following orders from London.

Just as still happens in French colonies now. The French have not ceded power in the same way the British did, basically many of their former colonies are still run from Paris and because of this in some ways their former colonies in Africa and other places are in a better position, for the normal person actually living in them, than former British colonies which are being ruled totally independently by their own people without any outside interference.

This seems to have led to corruption, poverty and deprivation for the populations of these countries, and with few exceptions little that is positive.

Life and schooling was very rigid everywhere until the seventies really, when it seems things started slowly to loosen up after the 1968 �student� revolution, and this applied to everywhere in Europe and countries attached to Europe in one way or another.

Without doubt you should have had access to Jamaican history lessons while at school Angela, but as with so much in school life in any country, much is down to the quality of teachers and direction.

My eldest son attended an International School in Brussels, a school system designed for children coming from different international backgrounds, at the time there were 50 countries involved, yet for two years of their curriculum all they were taught about the past was American history, nothing about Europe the continent in which they were living, Africa, Asia etc. It only changed when one US principal left and another, also from the US but with a different outlook on life and education, took over. And this was not so very long ago. .

The royal family cost each tax payer 61 pence a year, less than $1, a total of �37 million, and the amount that is brought in by tourism alone, because of the family and the pageantry involved, far exceeds this figure. While those that cost the most from that sum of money are not the Queen or Prince Philip her husband, who actually work the hardest, but the Prince of Wales, Charles, and his brother Andrew.

As for Charles being King, why not if he has the chance, it won�t be for long anyway. He is misjudged in many ways but has brought much of that on himself, however Camilla as Queen������I don�t think so, she is quite probably the thoroughly �nice� person her friends say she is, and she certainly seems to have made Charles happier, but that popular she isn�t and is never likely to be.

The myth is that Charles and Camilla were forced apart by his father and courtiers because of her rather �racy� background for the times, it seems it was a bit too late for her to be a virgin bride, but that is not the whole story.

She admits to having said to Charles �My great-great-grandmother was your great-great-grandfather�s mistress, so how about it?� which she duly became, and Charles apparently asked her to wait for him until he finished his tour of duty in 1976, he was in the navy and had to fulfill his military engagement just as Princes William and Harry do now, however she decided to marry an ex-boyfriend of Charles�s sister Princess Anne instead.

They both had their chances and they blew them, but nevertheless they kept their relationship active, and in the end an innocent 19 year old, and her children, suffered because of it.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Francine you may not be a royalist, but you do know a lot about the royal family! The royalists I know/have known tend to be older - I wonder if it's a generational thing, whether the pageantry of royalty was paritcularly valued by those who had/have had experience of the first or second world wars.

Your comments about France are intersting. I've just finished reading a book called Pastwatch by Orson Scott Card where people from the future change the course of history by going back to Columbus's time and helping him integrate with the peoples he finds on his voyages of discovery. Fascinating book - Card has an awesome grasp of politics and history.

Now the SNP are in power in Scotland there is talk of a referendum for Scottish independence. It will be interesting to see, if this succeeds, whether it changes the relationship of the Royal Family with Scotland. The Royal Family regularly visit Scotland and the royal residence Balmoral is in Aberdeenshire. The Castle of May, in the far north of Scotland, was visited regularly by the Queen Mother.

Good point about the Royal Family generating a large amount of money for England through tourism. This is often forgotten when people talk about the amount of taxpayers money spent on the Royals.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I do not have the slightest interest in the Royal Family. They are just a tourist attraction now.

Queen Elizabeth II doesn't have any of the power Queen Elizabeth I had. This queen only opens parliament once a year and she does not have a say in how the country is run. If she does then she needs to sort out the health service and over run schools.

Prince Charles will get the crown after the Queen's death, but he will never be one of the longest reigning monarchs as his mother is today.

Queen Elizabeth II is the second longest reigning monarch in the UK.

06.02.1952 - 30.05.2011 (to date - 59 years, 25 days).

Queen Victoria was the longest reigning monarch in the UK.

20.06.1837 - 22.01.1901 (63 years, 216 days)

Linda Heywood

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sarah - English Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/09/24 08:32 AM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.