Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
When I was younger I hated chianti, rioja - well reds in general I suppose but definitely Italian or Spanish reds (unless they had fruit floating in them!) - but after going to Italy two years ago I fell for Montepulciano wines - could be because of the holiday memories.

Wine just whispers to you of wonderful times away from home.

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: Eileen Brit TV
after going to Italy two years ago I fell for Montepulciano wines

I too drink a lot of Montepulciano d'Abruzzo (Wine Society own label), it's perfect with pasta and tomato based sauces and also a pleasant drink on its own.

But -- Montepulciano is confusing because there are two different types of wine with the name Montepulciano, because Montepulciano is both the name of a town in Italy and the name of a grape variety.

Basically, if the word Montepulciano comes first, e.g. Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, then it is made from the Montepulciano grape variety grown in the Abruzzo region.

If Montepulciano comes last e.g. Vino Nobile di Montepulciano it comes from Sangiovese grapes grown in the Montepulciano region.

(they don't grow Montepulciano grapes in the Montepulciano region!!)

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Ah - now I get it.

It was Montepulciano D'Abruzzo that I was drinking, as we were in Tuscany, and near Abruzzo.

I actually thought that was a cheapy variety of 'Montepulciano' wine, as when I bought some at home (ie in England), from the Co op, there was a brand called 'La Chianti' with a key on the label (unsurprisingly as this means The Key in Italian), it is really cheap, and yet tasted very good, and is D'Abruzzo wine.

Odd that they don't grow Montepulciano grapes in the Montepulciano region. Thanks for filling me in, Peter smile

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: Eileen Brit TV
from the Co op, there was a brand called 'La Chianti' with a key on the label (unsurprisingly as this means The Key in Italian

The Co-Op brand Montepulciano D'Abruzzo is La Chiave (Chianti is a wine region whose predominate grape variety is Sangiovese)

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Hi Peter,

I like the German Rieslings, for example, Carl Reh, Chateau St. Michelle Riesling from Washington State and Dr. Constantin Frank's Riesling - Salmon Run line as well from New York's Finger Lake region.

If I decided to drink red wine again, my all time favorite is Gevrey Chambertin -- pinot noir. Heavenly.

Anna - AHHA
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Thanks for the post. There's some very good Rieslings from New York. I don't think I've had the Washington one.

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
I knew it was too late for me to post anything coherent! And what a prat I sound 'unsurprisingly as this means The Key in Italian' Hah!

La Chiave - of course. And jolly nice it is too smile

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
It was my son's 17th birthday yesterday. I got some Fairtrade Chilean Carminere from the Co-op - really nice, very blackcurranty.

I don't know anything about Chilean wine - do you, Peter?

Eileen O�Sullivan
BritishTelevision Ed
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Well, yes, actually smile

Carmenere is a Bordeaux grape variety that is one of the six allowed in the red blends from that region, but virtually none is grown there now.

Cuttings were taken to Chile just before phylloxera destroyed Europes vineyards. Because Carmenere vines look like Merlot is wasn't realised until the 1990's that many 'merlot' vineyards in Chile were actually Carmenere.

Carmenere is Chile's 'trademark' variety now. In taste its close to Cabernet Sauvignon.

Chile is a source of excellent quality wines as a reasonable price - its hard to go wrong buying a Chilean wine.

Peter F May, Wine Editor
Wine Website
WineForum
My Book
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Peter - Wine 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/13/24 08:03 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/10/24 08:39 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Curiosity and Learning
by Angie - 04/06/24 09:56 AM
Easy to Sew Pillowcases
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/03/24 04:38 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/31/24 01:10 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.