Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Natural medicine in one form or another, whether centuries old herbal potions, their modern derivatives, or �alternative� methods of healing from acupuncture to water cures, either in combination with conventional medicine or alone, are widely used throughout Germany, with most treatments acknowledged and reimbursed by the state health systems.

A large proportion of Germans treat themselves with medications from recipes handed down through generations, and many prefer to take a herbal remedy or natural medicine, a fact which is mirrored by the medical practitioners, 70% of whom prescribe the natural alternatives and not only conventional medicines and treatments.

This weeks article covers:
Herbs and Natural Medicine in Germany

Last edited by Francine - German Culture; 02/12/11 09:51 AM.

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
SKYELAW
Unregistered
SKYELAW
Unregistered
S
that is very interesting francine about medical practitioners prescribing natural alternatives to patients, i think doctors in the west frown on some of the alternative medicines but at least acupuncture has caught on recently. a lot of new drugs have herbal ingredients in and progress seems to be in the right direction.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Am glad you found it interesting Skyelaw, and thanks for commenting. And yes you are right, in general it seems hard for Western �school medicine� doctors, as they are called here, to believe there might be something to be said for age old medicines and alternative therapies, but that world does seem to be opening up relatively quickly these days.

Don�t know if you know anything about the �Bach Flower Remedies� but they are very popular here, and many people carry them around with them. One doctor who had this as an additional specialty to her main area of medicine advised I tried them.

Still do not know how looking at pictures of flowers and choosing which ones �speak� to you does anything, but nevertheless chose some, she mixed up a little bottle of �remedy�, and off I went. Open for almost everything followed her instructions, but it did nothing whatever for me, however perhaps that was because I was too sceptical.

Have you every heard about them, or known anyone has any success with them?

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

S
SKYELAW
Unregistered
SKYELAW
Unregistered
S
yes ive heard of them and some people in england use them too, there has been a report over here lately that stated that substances used in like fore like medicine as in homeopathy is unproven and it said it could be dangerous to health? taking a little of what makes you ill etc makes you better, i cant really comment on this as i use herbal medicine and it would be unfair of me to critisise other remedies, different things work on some but not on others if you know what i mean.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Francine I found this a really interesting article - great that herbal medicine is so widely accepted in Germany. I have come across doctors who have moved to alternative therapies - for instance acupuncture and vibrational medicine - and they tend to be excellent because they are mixing their extensive medical training/experience with alternative theories/knowledge.

My grandmother introduced me to Bach Rescue Remedy, and whilst it has not been a staple I have always had I have found myself using it at times of stress. I know someone who has taught courses on Bach Flower Remedies - I will ask her what attracts her to them.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Glad you found the article interesting Asha, and yes you have no idea how great it is that doctors in Germany do �think out of the box�, and with successful results.

Spent years in Belgium fighting conventional medicine which in every way possible was just making my youngest sons health, and quality of life, worse, in the end tried alternative methods, absolutely against medical advice, but they succeeded in curing him.

What I had had to fight for to be accepted in Belgium is in Germany an accepted therapy.

It would be super if you could ask your friend about Bach remedies. Have studied them of course, tried them as I said, have friends who swear that they work, especially the �rescue remedy�, but for me�����.a big nothing. Obviously my fault but why? Would love to know.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Francine Skyelaw said "different things work on some and not on others", something I also believe. Just as we find our own paths in life I think we find our own paths in health. I remember a friend going on and on to me about how good Shiatsu was, yet I knew it wasn't right for me (maybe influenced by someone who was training working on my hands in a way that felt wrong and caused pain!).

I will check out about Bach Flower Remedies with my friend.

Have you ever tried Hopi ear candling? This is another one which has very mixed reviews...

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

S
SKYELAW
Unregistered
SKYELAW
Unregistered
S
ive tried acupuncture and it didnt work for me either, ive had heat treatments and also cortisone injections in my spine but i didnt get any relief from them. cortisone injections in my shoulders though did work maybe 80 percent, so this proves it must help certain people? i have prescription drugs but mainly rely on herbs for my relief as i believe herbal remedies top any other treatments we can try. some of us might have other treatments that work for them better, its trial and error in all and we have to find out individually whats best for us.

S
SKYELAW
Unregistered
SKYELAW
Unregistered
S
hi francine i like your views on herbal medicine in germany. are you still living there? its a country i would like to visit for ive heard so much about how nice it is there. ive heard grape vines grow along with fruit trees and bushes just off some off the roadways near the river rhine? a friend of mine told me the pensions for old people are twice the amount we have, and that he would rather live there than over here in england. in fact everyone ive spoken to say the same. i think i could pick the german language up a lot easier than some ive heard for some of the words are very much like ours, the meaning of some words are the same as ours, like smoking - you say rauchen. verboten sounds like forbidden and so on. good luck with your herbs francine, -lawrence.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

First Lawrence, have you tried Chili cream or gel rub to help alleviate your pain, or is it not available in the UK? Think it is even possible to make it oneself.

Had an accident that I was told urgently needed an OP, not enough time available and also just no opportunity because there were too many other things going on, so after some years....yes I know pretty pathetic....went yet again to a Doc who prescribed more cortisone. No use at all.

However a German friend suggested Chili in the diet and Chili Gel as a rub. Well it would be exaggerating to say everything was suddenly perfect however it was certainly possible to start living something like a normal life once more. Have had the necessary OP since then but it is true to say the Chili connection helped enormously. If you have not tried it so far, then please do so and see if it helps you also. It is a natural pain killer....well at least it minimizes pain.

And yes I love Germany, and in my opinion it is a place to visit, and to enjoy, at any time of the year. You are right about the vineyards, have written an article about them on site, and at the same time there are so many varieties of absolutely delicious apples grown in Baden Wuerttemberg. I guess that they must taste something like they used to do �in the olden days�....not that any of us remember those of course!

As for the language�..hmmm�..depends a lot on the area. High German not really difficult to understand as far as it goes, however some of the dialects, my goodness, next to impossible. But then I am not a good judge, when I visited my youngest son when he began studying medical science in Newcastle sometimes I only caught one word in three, and that was English.

And Herbs. Who can live without them. They make great restorative tisanes, help sore throats, create glossy hair, build up the immune system, make almost anything taste better and the fun one gets from seeing them grow and prosper, well yes I do like herbs!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Francine - German Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.