Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
K
Hi, Everyone!

I just added my new article entitled "What You Watch Affects Your Depression."

Click the link below to read the article.
What You Watch Affects Your Depression
If you think that the things you watch, read and listen to don't affect you, think again! Try avoiding negative images and messages...you'll see what I mean.

If you have any comments about the article or anything else you'd like to discuss, please feel free to post something!

Take care of you! smile
Kitten

Kitten Kristine Jackson
DEPRESSION

The measure to which we judge others is the measure to which God will judge us. Be kind & understanding always. : )
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Kitten I totally agree with you. Since I stopped watching TV and reading newspapers, and listening to gossip, and all that negative stuff I did when my kids were growing up, I don't have that miserable 'oh what a horrible world' attitude.

My world is great so long as I don't worry about the outside world and how sad and miserable it can be for some. I know it is I don't need it rammed in my face every time I watch a programme or read a newspaper.

I cannot really change the world but I can change my way of living.

I so agree with your article. I now chose what I want to watch, listen to or read rather than just doing so because everyone else is.

Linda Heywood

K
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
K
As always, thanks for your post, Linda! smile

I'm glad that you've already taken measures to make yourself feel better! I've done some...no soaps, no local news, never did read the paper, cut way back on world news... Now, I just have to learn to resist the crime shows and the disaster shows. They remind me of the 70s when all those disaster movies came out! I remember going to see "Earthquake," "Towering Inferno," "The Poseidon Adventure" and the "Airport" movies, etc. I was too young to see them, but I did, anyway.

I found "Towering Inferno" and "The Poseidon Adventure" on DVD, bought them, and watched them. Well...I ATTEMPTED to watch them. I took them both off because I was crying!! I said, "This is a good movie, but it's just not worth it for me anymore!"

Kitten Kristine Jackson
DEPRESSION

The measure to which we judge others is the measure to which God will judge us. Be kind & understanding always. : )
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
The English soaps are always so depressing, we have Eastenders, Coronation Street, Emerdale Farm and Hollyoaks to name a few and all they ever show is women having abortions or their children dying, men and women cheating on their wives and husbands, men and women murdering other people, horrendous accidents that kill half the cast.

If one soap has a particular story line you can bet that the others will have a similar one. As much as they say they portray 'real life' never have I lived in a street where so many people die, commit crimes or cheat on each other so much in one year as they do in our soaps.

I still love a good horror film, I get Steve the Horror man here to give me tips on good ones, but anything that tells a 'true life story' I give a miss.

I have had my own 'true life story' to live and I hope I come out the other end with my head held high.

Peace and hugs

Linda Heywood

K
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
K
Yeah, Linda the soaps are ridiculous, but even so, I used to get sucked in! I wouldn't go to the beach when I lived in Pensacola because I might miss "All My Children" or "General Hospital"!! Crazy!

About the horror--sometimes I can handle that, and sometimes I can't. Around Halloween, I get sucked into the "Halloween" movies, and I love "Scream" because it has humor in it, too. The humor lightens it. But I totally agree with you on the true story movies. Those stay with me way too long. They make you get to know the people and care about them, and then they die. I can't handle that. With the crime shows, I guess I don't feel like I know the people, so it doesn't make me cry.

I can't watch sad movies. They stick with me forever. Can't watch anything sad in movies without crying.

Kitten Kristine Jackson
DEPRESSION

Koala
Koala
I try to stay away from the news especially. I just don't want to know about horrible stuff! I want to read about or see happy endings. I love the Waltons. We have been watching that a lot lately and for the most part it always has a happy ending and makes me wish I grew up in a big family!

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
K
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
K
Hi, Connie! I've been wondering where you were! smile

Where in the world are you seeing "The Waltons"? I haven't seen that in 100 years...well, it SEEMS like 100 years! Ya know, it seems like I remember "The Waltons" being sad. And "Little House on the Prairie," too. That's why I didn't watch them when they used to come on in the afternoons. When I did, it seemed like I always ended up crying.

I find myself still watching "Friends" EVERY time I find it on. It still makes me laugh every time I see it. I've tried to figure out which character is the funniest, and I've never been able to decide! smile

I love "Sex and the City," too. I'm so Carrie--without the money and the cigarettes. LOL! (Not since I've been with Kelley--before.) That show can get a little heavy sometimes, and when it does, I turn it off. Most of the time, it makes me laugh.

And I ALWAYS watch "House" when it's on. It's a dramatic show, but his sarcastic humor cracks me up! I just can't get enough of "House." Today is marathon "House" day on USA. I hate not being able to sit there and watch it all day, but I have too much to do. (I'd be watching it if I had a laptop!! Desktop is in my bedroom.)

Better get back to my reports. Woohoo! Just love trying to understand medical terminology spoken with a strong foreign accent!! smirk

Kitten Kristine Jackson
DEPRESSION

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I love House too. Hugh Laurie is outstanding.

I avoid things that make me scared or cry.

K
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
K
I agree, Jilly! Hugh Laurie is amazing! I couldn't believe it when I heard he was British! You never even pick up on a hint of a British accent! At least, I don't. That's a great actor. smile

Since I wrote the article, I've been paying especially close attention to what I watch. I've been avoiding all the crime shows and anything that might be sad or depressing. I'm feeling SOOO much better! Maybe it's coincidence, and maybe not, but I think not. I know I'm strongly affected by everything around me.

I've been off meds for the past few months. I called Monday to get an appointment, which will be on the 11th of February. I don't like taking meds, but I think I'm one of those people who actually needs them.

Kitten Kristine Jackson
DEPRESSION

Koala
Koala
Well, better late than never! I don't know where I was before! I was gone from Thursday to Monday to a quilting retreat. I had a great time and sewed until I was sick of sewing and then I sewed more. Yesterday it was awful...snow (only a little) and bitter cold. It was 0 when I got up and 10 at lunchtime. Little Bill thinks it is so fun to run and play in the snow. I'm sure the neighbors are tired of hearing me say "LITTLE BILL GO POTTY!!!".

You'd probably think the Waltons were sad too if you thought Little House was sad. I think the Waltons are on the INSP the Inspriational Channel. I loved the first few years of Seinfeld.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rayna - Depression Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.