G
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
G
Two new articles are up at Science Fiction and fantasy Movies:

What Hollywood can learn from fantasy gaming

How lord of the Rings came to the big screen

Sorry about the delay in posting, but the floods in Queensland, Australia, where I live, have taken precedence over everything this week. Thankfully our house was not flooded, but our town was cut off by floodwaters for a few days. Our hearts go out to those who have lost homes and families in this terrible event, and to victims in Brazil, where the loss of lives was tragically so much higher.

Gail Kavanagh
http://scififantasymovies
Gail Kavanagh
Philippines
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Gail

Firstly respect for achieving anything in terms of writing/posting at such a time of change and uncertainty whilst being cut off by floodwaters - and possibly knowing or knowing of people who did lose homes/families(?). My thoughts are with you, with victims of the floods and with people of your knowing and/or your heart whose lives have been changed by recent events.

My experience of people who have met and survived life threatening situations is that they gain a stronger, deeper, more focused life purpose once they have been faced with possible/imminent death.

Thank you for mentioning victims in Brazil - I was not aware of Brazil's floods until reading your post.

Your Lord of the Rings article attracted me - that first film is one I remember, and remember alway being disappointed that it did not continue to cover the whole three books. It was wonderful to see the whole trilogy produced, but I found that the movies could not match whatever I had internalised when I first read the books aged 9(?). I am not a particularly visual person, but I know the books spoke to me. And I know when I saw the first film with someone who had not read the books but was enamoured with the film it did not touch for me the same depth that the books had reached.

I'd find it interesting to know what people think about translating books to screen.

Can films capture the written word?

Does reading a book influence your viewing of a film?

If you see a film are you likely to read the book?

If you have read a book and it is filmed will you go to see the film?

Next film on my list is Voyage Of The Dawn Treader, third in CS Lewis's Narnia series - these being another part of my chilcdhood reading...

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

G
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
G
Asha, thank you for your comments, Yes, the tragic stories emerging here will take a long time to heal. But we as a nation have learned to be proud and grateful for the bravery and organisation of our emergency, volunteer and armed forces who have been tireless and saved many lives.

Regarding books and movies, I find them to be two quite different experiences - nothing will ever quite live up to the books. I am looking forward to Dawn Treader, as it has always been my favourite Narnia book. Same childhood reading list it seems!

Asha, I spent four years in Scotland before emigrating in the 60s. I loved it there, and always remember it with fondness.

Gail Kavanagh
http://scififantasymovies
Gail Kavanagh
Philippines

Moderated by  Gillian ClassicalMusic 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/09/24 08:32 AM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.